HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 10:49 PM

Many of these projects posted last August have now been completed. The only major project still under construction is the new engineering building. Soon to begin will be athletics park (phase 1), Convocation center expansion, as well as graduate housing at East campus. I have also heard of plans for a new parking garage attached to the Main Bldg. as a priority for PTS. Keep in mind that UTSA really wants to become tier 1 by 2016 and will focus a lot of efforts on graduate facilities. East Campus will basically be the graduate school as most facilities will be catered toward graduate students. A new master plan (which has been developed largely around student input) should be released this semester that will include an updated timeline for projects.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 1:34 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I know said quote is a year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I tried contacting someone about that previously but haven't heard any response. The logo they currently have on goutsa.com is just the roadrunner's head as opposed to the full body shot. You'll notice that the navy blue is darker as well as the orange. IMO, this is the new logo they just never really made a big deal about it.
But here's the update.

The new logo was finally unveiled in Feb of 2008.

Rowdy also received an update.

Previous:

Current:

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 2:03 AM

I smell a rival!!! Hope the roadrunner can outrun a COUGAR

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 10:35 PM

Any new development on the athletic complex near Hausman and 1604? Has anything been said about what exactly they plan on building there?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 1:36 AM

Have the UT board of regents approved the athletic fee hike? I'm pretty shocked there haven't been more regular updates on this in the E-N. You'd figure they'd be all over anything that would result in high-level football being in SA. Maybe since it isn't NFL, nobody thinks its a big deal?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Have the UT board of regents approved the athletic fee hike? I'm pretty shocked there haven't been more regular updates on this in the E-N. You'd figure they'd be all over anything that would result in high-level football being in SA. Maybe since it isn't NFL, nobody thinks its a big deal?
Yes as far as I know it was approved earlier this summer. A full time student (12 hr) will see a $12 increase per semester in the 2008-2009 academic year, and another $24 increase through the 2009-2010 academic year.

I'd expect to see construction begin at the athletics park within the next 6 months. The soccer stadium and track and field stadium have already been financed with money from the bond elections. They only currently have 1/3 the total $80 million needed. If the school hopes to build a national reputation for athletics programs by 2016 they need these facilities asap. Hopefully a large donor will fund at least the baseball stadium to earn naming rights.

Here is a link with some info. on the athletics park - http://www.sanantonio.gov/2007bond/P...nformation.pdf

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 1:13 PM

Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 3:14 PM
Bears of antiquity

Go Rowdies!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 4:46 PM

COMING: 2011

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post

COMING: 2011
Wow, that's pretty cool looking. Can't wait until the real deal is on the field! Tailgating rocks!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Got an email just this morning regarding football at UTSA (it was from one of my connections mentioned previously in this thread). He said that the university was planning a big announcement at a 'pep rally' type event for later in the semester. I was also told that they would be playing regular season games by the 2011-2012 school year.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Last edited by TXlifeguard; Aug 28, 2008 at 7:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
Got an email just this morning regarding football at UTSA (it was from one of my connections mentioned previously in this thread). He said that the university was planning a big announcement at a 'pep rally' type event for later in the semester. I was also told that they would be playing regular season games by the 2011-2012 school year.
Awesome. Can't wait to see what they have stored. Hopefully they'll also announce our move to Conference USA.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 4:08 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Awesome. Can't wait to see what they have stored. Hopefully they'll also announce our move to Conference USA.
that would be BIG news. is it a rumor or a confirmed thing?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 9:35 PM

From what I've heard, that's been the plan all along. I'm the wrong guy to ask tho, I have no clue how the NCAA works.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 5:03 AM

C-USA will not happen until 2014.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 2:49 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
C-USA will not happen until 2014.
at least right?

the hoops that they have to jump through to get there are pretty substantial. (just read the feasability study on the utsa website)

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 2:57 PM

Any idea what conference Texas State plans to join when they move up to
I-A football ? UTSA-TSU could become a pretty nice rivalry ?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 6:52 PM

When and if everything happens that needs to happen this is how I think the conference thing should work out.

First I feel that befor UTSA is ever a FBS school UCF or E. Carolina, or both will be taken away by the Big East, which would not be good for conference USA.

If this happens it opens the door for Texas St. and/or UTSA

You could have an all Texas division: Houston, Rice, SMU, UTEP, UTSA, and Texas State, and an east division of Memphis, So. Miss, Tulane, UAB, Tulsa, and Marshall.

Hopefully, noone feels compelled to attack me for this post (it has gotten crazy in other posts). This is purely speculation.

First things first, no matter what anyone says, we are never going to get a pro football team in SA. There is a market for football here even with Tech, Texas, and A&M. One thing that SA has going for it is that the majority of its alumni still live in the area, due to it being a commuter (moving toward regional) school.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
When and if everything happens that needs to happen this is how I think the conference thing should work out.

First I feel that befor UTSA is ever a FBS school UCF or E. Carolina, or both will be taken away by the Big East, which would not be good for conference USA.

If this happens it opens the door for Texas St. and/or UTSA

You could have an all Texas division: Houston, Rice, SMU, UTEP, UTSA, and Texas State, and an east division of Memphis, So. Miss, Tulane, UAB, Tulsa, and Marshall.

Hopefully, noone feels compelled to attack me for this post (it has gotten crazy in other posts). This is purely speculation.

First things first, no matter what anyone says, we are never going to get a pro football team in SA. There is a market for football here even with Tech, Texas, and A&M. One thing that SA has going for it is that the majority of its alumni still live in the area, due to it being a commuter (moving toward regional) school.
Would be nice to see a Texas division. I'm sure UH, SMU, Rice etc. would benefit from having another TX school in the conference. Makes for easy traveling and affordable for visiting fans to make a road trip. I really hope this isn't speculation and UTSA has put itself on C-USA's radar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio