HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 1:49 AM

It's shocking how many people live in constant fear of the bogeyman. It's a miserable way to live.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 2:10 AM

I agree that they're an interesting idea but I don't understand the cost.

The $40,000 is apparently to cut down one shipping container to planter size but the images in the report show examples where a shallow waste disposal bin was used with the addition of benches.

For $40,000 could we not just rent benches, tables, chairs or even purchase a set to be owned by the city/BIAs and used for Sew Hungry, and other BIA events like ConcessionFest, Locke Street Festival, Gore Park Promenade, Dundas Buskerfest and Cactus Festival etc.?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 7:58 PM

For $40,000 you could train a bunch of street kids to build these, give them jobs and new skills and crank these out all summer. Or do it the government way and pay $40,000 a pop to farm it out and make work for 50 high cost admin staff in 3 departments.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:42 PM

I like the idea of portable gardens, but would prefer that they not use re-purposed shipping containers. Personally I would rather that they just use shipping containers as, well, shipping containers.

They might make more sense placed along the piers at the harbourfront where there is a bit of historical perspective, but along a commercial street like Ottawa Street, to me they would look a little bit too much like garbage dumpsters with plants tossed into them.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 12:48 AM
Ham-burgher

I don't mind them at all. They're a neat idea.

But if you really want to beautify the street, why not invest fully in some landscaped bump-outs. Especially if these are planned to remain in place a long time.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 12:51 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
People on facebook are concerned that "bad guys" will "hide in them" and jump out and "attack people"...
Don't forget the folks who will treat them as public washrooms... like Seinfeld's Frank Costanza might say: "They'll urinate in there!!!"

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 2:08 AM

Crowsnest Barbershop, which have been a staple in Kensington Market in Toronto for years are open just off Ottawa Street starting this weekend. http://www.crowsnestbarbershop.com/

And apparently this tattoo parlour is opening in their basement?
http://www.trophytattoo.com/

Auntie Boom's is new too, no? Not sure when they opened officially but it must have been in the last month or so. http://www.auntiebooms.com/welcome.html

And last but not least, there's a poutine place open on Main Street just east of Ottawa now. I haven't been but I've heard OK things so far. http://www.jeanpoutine.ca/about

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 2:14 AM

holy. Between James Locke and Ottawa it's getting hard to keep track of all the new business in the city

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 6:41 AM
Hammer'd

Yeah, that poutine place is in the old National Pizza spot beside Steel City Video (the last remaining one in the city, I believe). There's also Lonnie's on Barton (a block or two West of Ottawa) for your poutine fix.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:54 PM

A new building is going in at Ottawa and Campbell. This is next to Greta's Flair and where there was a fire about 6 or 7 years ago. The foundation is in.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 6:37 PM

I see this thread hasn't had any posts since last year. I (well my family) own a small one story house a block from Ottawa St North. My husband and I are from Vancouver and really love the area. It's very walkable, with great transit and some really neat stores and restaurants moving in.

My question, which I posted in another thread but now see it may be best asked here is, we are considering demolishing the one story and building a triplex (or duplex if that's all the city will allow us).

The house has no basement only a crawlspace and has not been well kept up over the years... we purchased it I believe in 2010 or 2011 for $70K and have only done really necessary repairs as we aren't sure what we are going to do with the house yet.

I'm curious if others think it will be worthwhile to rebuild? Right now the house rents for $800 with the tenant paying their own utilities. I'm not sure if we can recoop the costs of rebuilding, but I want to at least look into it.

Any suggestions for developers / home builders that have experience with multi unit housing is really appreciated as well.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 6:43 PM

It might be a bit tricky, given that new builds often have to apply for zoning variances due to weird road widening allowances. It also really depends on the surrounding area; if a triplex will fit the character, I don't see why not. If it's going to stick out above the rest of the houses, prepare for a bit of a battle.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 1:22 AM

I would love to see the parking lots behind the stores between Argyle, Campbell, Edinburgh, Britannia and Cannon fill in. Something like Kiwi condos and 1 Jarvis would be amazing. Plenty of these lots on Kenilworth that could also get developed.

Here's a video of Bob Dylan hanging out in one of those lots back in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cntGcbU3nM8

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 1:23 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Plenty of these lots on Kenilworth that could also get developed.
I've been saying that stretches of Barton will become the New James. I think Kenilworth will be the next iteration of that.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 1:26 AM

Yeah I mean Barton Village has some serious potential. Close to downtown, heritage buildings, decent landscaping. Unfortunately right now I think the place needs some higher earning residents before we can see things really take off there. I do hope that the condo builds that will follow the LRT down King will spur some economic development not far away on Barton. Maybe someday we'll see Barton get it's very own LRT line.

I really wish the damn city/province would just expropriate some of these lots that Impark and others are sitting on and rezone the land for high desnity residential. Then sell them off to developers for below market price with the stipulation that it gets built within 3 years. Could be done as a lottery. It's been done before in other cities, and it would seriously accelerate the economic development of Hamilton. One can dream.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 1:34 AM
It's a nickname from work

I heard an idea on another thread to buy those lots behind the shops and turn it into a permanent market hall. While the idea sounds very cool I don't think the market has enough demand and supply to justify it. Rather, how cool would it be to turn the street into a proper pedestrian street - or at least what King William is - and use that as the market space on the weekends? They had the sidewalk sale a few weeks ago where they essentially did just that, and even with the uninviting streetscape already there it was quite a fun outing.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:39 AM
Ham-burgher

Sorry... didn't remember this thread existed.

CLEAN-UP - Ottawa St.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:40 AM
Ham-burgher

I'll re-kick things off.

I remember my mom regularly stopping here for sewing material. But the street has diversified a lot since then, which would have been back in the 1970s and early-80s

In my teens I was a regular at Hamilton Hobbies (Dungeons and Dragons player... please don't judge lol ). It's moved on.

In my 20s, it was Bell Arte Camera when I discovered photography.

Today, I haven't spent a lot of time on the street. But I have been to Caro a couple of times and I often drive between Main and Barton and think about the places that would be neat to check out.

This street has been a continuous bright spot in an area of town that's had its downs. Its ups are coming.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:41 AM
Ham-burgher

I've been saying that stretches of Barton will become the New James. I think Kenilworth will be the next iteration of that.

(sorry I don't have mod superpowers... cannot move posts from there to here)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 7:03 PM
Hammer'd

There's an absolute shitload of potential for infill along Ottawa, Kenilworth and Parkdale and I think we'll start to see it in the next decade especially since LRT is finally a real thing. Kenilworth and Parkdale especially have a lot of empty or underutilized lots that would be great for a larger project, Ottawa doesn't have as much space but as someone already posted there is potential in the parking lots behind and I'd love to see that crappy strip mall at Roxborough turned into something. Same goes for the empty lot at Main where they sell christmas trees and stuff.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues