HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 11:56 AM

Devon is not that big of a company, doesnt really have that many employees, and OKC isnt a place that is in dire need of office space (actually has pretty high vacancy rates). A fluke is a reasonable description for a building that will be less than half filled when opened and will probably take decades of strong growth to fill. Everything I have seen puts Devons OKC work force around 2500 and they currently have 35-40 OKC job openings on their website and of course not all of those are corporate jobs.

A new convention center hotel that my reach 300 feet will be the only building of significance built in the OKC skyline for the next 10 years. The market in the city just doesnt have the need for anything of significance and there arent any other companies in the city that will be building a structure so that they can have every employee housed in the same place until 2050.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Devon is not that big of a company, doesnt really have that many employees, and OKC isnt a place that is in dire need of office space (actually has pretty high vacancy rates). A fluke is a reasonable description for a building that will be less than half filled when opened and will probably take decades of strong growth to fill. Everything I have seen puts Devons OKC work force around 2500 and they currently have 35-40 OKC job openings on their website and of course not all of those are corporate jobs.

A new convention center hotel that my reach 300 feet will be the only building of significance built in the OKC skyline for the next 10 years. The market in the city just doesnt have the need for anything of significance and there arent any other companies in the city that will be building a structure so that they can have every employee housed in the same place until 2050.
I am sure they have done plenty of research into Oklahoma City’s future potential before building this tower. Now, remember that these towers are built to last at least a hundred years. It is what you call a long term investment. The money will eventually be made back. Other developers might have done the same research and found that Oklahoma has, for reasons which you and I have no idea and therefore cannot hope to elaborate apron, found that building in that city has some future potential. So.... I think that if Devon found it feasible to build such a major tower project in that city, and have done their homework beforehand, then why the hell other companies and developers wouldn’t be able to reach a similar conclusion is unlikely. Think about the fact that this tower was built only after being investigated to the point of conclusion, in which brought forth the idea that building such a tower in that city was a feasible investment, not a fluke. jeeezis Christ u guys. I mean common no one would ever invest a billion dollars thinking. "lets take a chance by building this tower in Oklahoma city because we just might fluke it off and hopefully it won’t be a giant disaster after which, all of our investors lose their shirts" be smart because saying silly things like calling a billion dollar tower a fluke is just not that smart. I am being polite because what I really want to say it stupid. I don't think you are stupid though. Your just not using your smarts in this case.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 8:19 PM

Quote:

So... the Devon Tower's a fluke now.

Lord. Help me. We will never be good enough. You know? I'm content with OKC just staying a redneck and backwards stereotype if people would just leave us the hell alone. There is nothing ever good to say about our city without a constant negative backlash of some sort from seemingly no where and for no reason. It's so bad that all us OKC posters, save a few mind you, barely even visit any national forums anymore. It's honestly really sad. Trolls doing their jobs best.

But generally, I agree. We probably won't see another tower for a while, save the convention center hotel. However, we have been building/rehabbing some decent amounts of short density within the city, which is always a great thing for an urban environment. Still a looong way to go though.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
I am sure they have done plenty of research into Oklahoma City’s future blah blah blah.....

Im sure the people in Tulsa did the same thing before not having a significant highrise built in their city since 1984. Not only does the OKC market have plenty of available office space, but the largest company based in the city is on the verge of no longer existing which could open up hundreds of thousands square feet of office space.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 2:01 PM

I don't chime in much on this site, but I had to regarding recent statements made about OKC's potential for future urban growth.

Devon tower is a great asset to Oklahoma City's urban core, and I do not believe it was a fluke. Moreover, Oklahoma City has a handful of mid-rise projects coming to fruition in the urban core, we currently have and 7 story Aloft under construction, and 11 story Hilton will start turning dirt any time now, and another 8-10 story hotel set to start in early 2013. Then we have 3 residential projects 252 units, 249 units, and 139 units set to start construction soon. The city will also be starting a new 7 story parking garage that is slated to possibly have an additional 5 stories added for apartments and more for offices. This is pretty good urban development in the urban core if you ask me. All these developments just mentioned will be finished within the next 2 years.

Now for high rises, the convention center hotel will likely be 25 stories, and don't forget about the new Sandridge Tower, that reliable sources say will be at least 20 stories, and will start turning dirt next year.

There is also still smoke around a possible new 40 story tower being announced before the end of the year, many sources state this is still a possibility, but no one has officially came out and announced there will or will not be one.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 2:27 PM

Quote:

Not so fast my friend, it was recently mentioned that Devon is possibly building a medical clinic, and yes, you guessed it, another skyscraper right next to the new Devon Tower. Not sure of the scale, but I would put it in the 30-40 story range, for future expansion. Devon is growing fast, and will need a new tower in the the next 5-6 years or so. Being how long it took Devon tower to come to fruition, it wouldn't surprise me if planning behind the scenes for this new tower has not already started.

If you remember, Devon Tower was first announced in March of 2008, renderings released August of 2008, construction started October 2009, and they are expected to be fully done with construction by October 2012. So from announcement to completion was about 4.5 years. So if Devon follows this same path, we might get an announcement for this sooner than later. Moreover, is it just coincidence that the city is building a 7 story 700 space parking garage, with possible additional floors for housing, right across the street of the proposed site? I think not...

Last edited by G.Walker; Jul 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 4:57 AM

I took a detour out of Fort Worth to go check out this tower. It's really great, it actually seems to fit in rather well for its size. It sleek and fun to look at, the cladding is nice as well.
As for the city as a whole, it was suprising how active it was, especcially for the heat. But I had just been to Tulsa a few days earlier and it was probably the most empty downtown I'd ever seen. OKC should be proud. I really wish Fort Worth could have some of this towns highrises.

Keep it up OKC.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 6:37 AM
Funkytown's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
I took a detour out of Fort Worth to go check out this tower. It's really great, it actually seems to fit in rather well for its size. It sleek and fun to look at, the cladding is nice as well.
As for the city as a whole, it was suprising how active it was, especcially for the heat. But I had just been to Tulsa a few days earlier and it was probably the most empty downtown I'd ever seen. OKC should be proud. I really wish Fort Worth could have some of this towns highrises.

Well I wouldn't really want any of OKC's highrises since we practically have the same skyline (if you throw out the Devon) but man we DO need more than what we have....

SERIOUSLY!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 3:27 PM

Great Tower for OKLAHOMA CITY wish to see this beauty in person!

My channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NYBOY75

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
Not so fast my friend, it was recently mentioned that Devon is possibly building a medical clinic, and yes, you guessed it, another skyscraper right next to the new Devon Tower. Not sure of the scale, but I would put it in the 30-40 story range, for future expansion. Devon is growing fast, and will need a new tower in the the next 5-6 years or so. Being how long it took Devon tower to come to fruition, it wouldn't surprise me if planning behind the scenes for this new tower has not already started.

If you remember, Devon Tower was first announced in March of 2008, renderings released August of 2008, construction started October 2009, and they are expected to be fully done with construction by October 2012. So from announcement to completion was about 4.5 years. So if Devon follows this same path, we might get an announcement for this sooner than later. Moreover, is it just coincidence that the city is building a 7 story 700 space parking garage, with possible additional floors for housing, right across the street of the proposed site? I think not...
No, you are just making things up now.

Devon has about 2,500 total employees in OKC (not all of them will work in this tower) and had about 2,000 total employees when the tower broke ground. Its not going to need a new tower anytime soon. From a revenue and market cap standpoint the company has actually shrunk considerably since the tower has started.

Im guessing this tower can easily hold 6,000-7,000 employees, no way it is going to add 1,000 employees a year that your numbers would suggest for them to need a new tower in 5-6 years.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 3:06 AM

Quote:
No, you are just making things up now.

Devon has about 2,500 total employees in OKC (not all of them will work in this tower) and had about 2,000 total employees when the tower broke ground. Its not going to need a new tower anytime soon. From a revenue and market cap standpoint the company has actually shrunk considerably since the tower has started.

Im guessing this tower can easily hold 6,000-7,000 employees, no way it is going to add 1,000 employees a year that your numbers would suggest for them to need a new tower in 5-6 years.
First of all, I live in Oklahoma City, and I have access to inside info that you no nothing about. I never said that this is sure thing, but it is being considered. The tower only can hold 2,500 employees. Devon is growing, trust me...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 3:19 AM

It is a 1.8 million square foot tower with a vast majority of that space being office, no way it only holds 2,500 employees. PNC is building an 800,000 square foot tower in Pittsburgh that holds 3,000 employees. Trust me, you dont have a clue in what you are talking about.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 4:30 AM
JoeCooper

I am more than intrigued to see shots of the restaurants on floors 49 and 50!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 5:32 AM
Everywhere all at once

How about both of you cut the crap. The mods delete so much stuff but this they leave up? I appreciate the predictions and opinions, you're both entitled to them, and I don't doubt that both of you have some facts to back up your claims, but please, I don't come to these threads to listen to people bicker. I also don't make predictions like this because I don't feel the need to tell people what's going to happen. The growth and change of cities is entertainment, a performance to me, a science even. That's why I come here, and I want to sit back in peace and watch the show. If I have to shush some people so I can enjoy it, so be it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 1:50 PM

Only 1,800 people are making the move into the building, meaning they will have about 1,000 sqft of space each. Guess they all get a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room, and a washer/dryer hookup. Devon seems like a pretty great place to work!

"Nichols says he expects employees to start moving into the building by next February, with the entire move complete by July. About 1,800 people will work in the building."

http://www.news9.com/story/14701712/...llest-building

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 2:11 PM

"The general rule of thumb is to allow 150 to 250 usable square feet per person depending upon the type and style of the business. This figure can vary based upon special needs such as extra-large conference rooms or storage requirements, but will include normal amenities within a general use office. For an accurate determination of space requirements, an office space planner should be consulted."

http://www.officespaceheaven.com/off...-employee.html

A corporate office like Devon will be in that 250 sqft. of space per employee range (maybe a little more), so they have 4 times the space they need atm, which means this building will hold around 7,000 employees once you take out the retail space and whatnot from the total. Which is exactly what I said earlier. Please go back to the OKC talk fantasyland G. Walker and your mystery tower thread that has had 1,000 rumors of a new tower with none of them being substantiated.

Last edited by Cashville; Jul 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 2:23 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
How about both of you cut the crap. The mods delete so much stuff but this they leave up? I appreciate the predictions and opinions, you're both entitled to them, and I don't doubt that both of you have some facts to back up your claims, but please, I don't come to these threads to listen to people bicker. I also don't make predictions like this because I don't feel the need to tell people what's going to happen. The growth and change of cities is entertainment, a performance to me, a science even. That's why I come here, and I want to sit back in peace and watch the show. If I have to shush some people so I can enjoy it, so be it.
Agreed. It's a stunning tower architecturally, and I personally enjoyed my visit to OKC (even if it was being built by my father in-law's company's direct competitor); I honestly don't understand all of this negative speculation.

Trying over and over again to prove someone wrong looks like a dick move to everyone else who's watching you argue...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 7:40 PM

Pictures don't do Devon Tower justice...if you guys can see it in person it's sooooo much better, I get to look at in every morning from my parking garage at my job downtown.

I haven't had chance to go to Vast yet, but I heard the breakfast burritos were amazing. Unfortunately, all the hype Devon Tower is slowly fading here, we are waiting for the next big thing.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 9:51 PM

I really wished Someone would just convince the city and the mayor to stop adding Mid Rises and add High rises someone should just go an personally talk to the mayor about adding High rises to the city Ft Worth is bigger than Miami and Las Vegas and still we have a six skyscraper skyline

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
Pictures don't do Devon Tower justice...if you guys can see it in person it's sooooo much better, I get to look at in every morning from my parking garage at my job downtown.

I haven't had chance to go to Vast yet, but I heard the breakfast burritos were amazing. Unfortunately, all the hype Devon Tower is slowly fading here, we are waiting for the next big thing.
Really, the people in Austin were going crazy when the Frost tower was built that year (2004). The people of OKC should be going nuts for yrs. with the completion of Devon tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive