HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 4:48 AM

Could Alberta Become the 51st US State?

I saw an interesting article in the Calgary Herald.

Quote:
Why leaving Canada makes sense for Alberta, and U.S. would likely welcome a new state
JEN GERSON

U.S. forecaster Peter Zeihan, a former geopolitical analyst with the security firm Stratfor, has spent his career trying to predict the future of tumultuous states — recently, he’s turned his gaze to North America. Now, his latest book, The Accidental Superpower, takes a bleak look at the direction of the world in general. Among his speculations, the future of Alberta in Canada. He spoke to the Post‘s Jen Gerson.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/na...926/story.html

While I'm not advocating this actually would happen, it's an interesting scenario (but highly unlikely). I had a few thoughts (questions) in regards to what would happen if this ever went through.

1. Would Alberta actually be fully accepted as being a 51st state, or would it be treated a sort of step-child, effectively resulting in either no change or a worse status than what's being argued?

2. What would happen to the rest of Canada?

3. While part of Canada, what would happen to BC? If Alberta were to be part of the US, BC would effectively be cut off from the rest of Canada. Since there are strong cultural ties to the US Pacific Northwest, would they ultimately join the US well?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:39 AM
ARTchitecture

The answer is unequivocally no. The stupidest proposition and worst reasoning for any argument I have heard all week.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 6:04 AM

If they ever even consider it, I'm gone. Alberta is conservative enough, we don't need more American influence. The United States is one of the most socially lagged countries in the entirety of the West. Plus I find this "Abandon ship!" crap hilarious. People have short memories, they forget that economies have ups and downs.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 1:34 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The answer is unequivocally no. The stupidest proposition and worst reasoning for any argument I have heard all week.
Simple and to the point.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:52 PM

There is no way Quebec would let us leave.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 1:12 AM

Having lived in every corner of this country but Newfoundland (but I met enough newfies), I'd argue Alberta is one of the most patriotically Canadian provinces in the country (partly because of newfies).

Despite the stereotypes, you don't have to be a left-leaning Liberal to be patriotic. Patriotism goes beyond political leanings.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia