HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:03 PM

On sunny winter days, do you all notice hords of people trying to soak up the clear skies? I just wonder if people really look forward to a nice clear day.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:36 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hell yes! Everyone gets out and walks around a lot.

During crappy days everyone just sits in the bars, smokes and drinks. I probably go to the bars 3-4 times a week during winter... if I'm not skiing.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:00 AM

Portland definantly has a big drinking culture and I think that is mostly due to the weather. Happy Hour is huge in this town, which makes for a delicious and cheap dinner!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:59 AM
zzzzzzzz

I love beer!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:14 AM

Hey ForAteOh:

I just went through your picture threads of a few different Portland neighborhoods. What a great resource! It was great to get a feel for some of the different areas of town. I encourage you to post some more!

Are there any other picture guides of Portland out there?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 3:24 AM
zzzzzzzz

^ Thanks! I will be posting more as I take them. I've started a new neighborhood, but I've been busy lately, so I haven't had much time to get it done. I also have this thread from this past summer which I didn't include in my signature. There are several other Portland photo threads I've seen. Maybe others have links to them. You can also check in the photo section of the SSP Local Portland page.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:43 PM

^ i've typed in a search for Portland photo threads & they never come back with any... not sure what i'm doing wrong.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:27 AM
zzzzzzzz

^ I don't know about the search, but see this link

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:14 PM

Quote:
1) Anyone have jobs doing IT support or as a nurse? Hows the job market in these areas?

2) Hows the music scene? My "second job" for the past few years has been playing in a local Madison band. Anyone have a page where I can check out some local Portland music? Are there good places to see/play music?

3) How much is a 2 bedroom apartment going to run? Something with easy access to the MAX. I tried to look at some of the portland rental websites, and they are bad. Where do you go to look for apartments?

4) I'm advocating a vacation to Portland with my wife before we actually take any more steps toward moving there. What should we do/see? Where should we eat? Is there anything you would recommend we do given that we are "shopping" the city, and not just vacationing?
Just to quote myself from earlier. Anyone have insight on my questions?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:51 PM

2) www.barflymag.com would help you identify some venues

3) a 2 br apt. will range from $800-1250. On the westside light rail near the Sunset Transit Center, there are several complexes within easy walking distance to the station (at least 5) Guardian mgmt has a few good listings online. Honestly, you need to scroll through google earth StreetView & find an area that is suitable for you before you begin shopping for a home. You need to determine wheather you are east/west PDX material then decide N/S. There is a huge difference between every side. Craigslist is a great resource also.

4) I've given this advise before on here, but go to Portland City Grill. Average/above average food but the view is unique in Portland. Reserve during sunset... watch the city darken then glitter.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:07 PM

I'm only posting on this thread because I stream Portland's 947 radio station at work all day (have been for the past year or so). I really like this station and since I listen all day at work, I kind of feel like I live in Portland rather than Phoenix. I've been to Portland once for one night, even rode the light rail out of necessity...

It is interesting to hear people explain the city, rather than just look at pictures.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:05 PM

2) www.PDXshowfinder.com
This is an awesome website that has listings of upcoming shows in Portland. Portland has one of the most vibrant music scene in the country with tons of awesome shows to choose from every night.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 11:59 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

1) there are some tech support jobs around town. I've worked at a few small-mid sized places doing that, plus some public institutions have in-house. Pay isn't all that great, obviously. Nurses get paid a lot higher.

2) are you kidding?! There are way too many bands here in Portland. Go to a bar, coffee shop, and just ask people. Half of them are probably already in a band. If not, you could try craigslist. There's a 'gig' section. Pick up a Mercury and Willamette Week to see the ads for venues and band members.

3) Craigslist

4) Walk around a lot...? I think other people could answer this better than me.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:16 AM

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 3:29 PM

Another quick question:

Whats the best time to visit? Looking at average rainfall/temps on wikipedia, I'm guessing late May or early June look to be nice. Thoughts?

I found this site that lists some Portland festivals:
http://www.portlandguide.com/enterta.../festivals.php

Are there any that would be worth aiming our vacation for? What are your favorite Portland festivals?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 7:15 PM

Weather-wise, shoot for July-Sept. June is famous for its "June Gloom".
Usually summer breaks around the 4th of July. Lasts into late September, sometimes even October.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 8:06 PM

I have two favorite times of year to visit; May and September.

During May you're taking your chances but the payoff can be spectacular. The city is "spring green" which is almost overwhelming coming from So Cal. And the flowers of spring are out and (I think) the cherry trees are still in bloom. While you're still likely to get some rain, many days are sunny with big white puffy clouds against a dark blue sky. Best days are when those same puffy clouds pass by, drop a quick shower, then part to let the sun shine through - beautiful.

If you prefer to minimize the chance of showers I recommend September. It's cooler than August and usually dry. You'll miss the green and flowers of late spring, though. Non-watered grass has usually turned brown or gold by September.

Last edited by rsbear; Jan 28, 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digme View Post
What are your favorite Portland festivals?
If you are a beer fan, the Oregon Brewers Festival on the waterfront is pretty fun. Late summer I think?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 9:49 PM
zzzzzzzz

^ I timed my move here to attend that last year. It was in late July.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 11:49 PM

Anything in early August or late late July? That is when i'm moving & will probably have family members come check out the city. They are very pessimistic about the city & don't know anything about it. I'd like to show them how cool the place is then say...welp... have fun in the great plains.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion