HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 12:55 AM

I have added links to some of the projects in the first post. Also added the project map

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
could be. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I wish they would actually tell us what is going in. Waiting is killing me lol
I know, me too I wish they would just tell us lol

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Rain, rain go away

TRURO - Time is money.
But right now, Mother Nature doesn't seem to care. Save for a few days so far this month, Colchester County residents have seen little but rain falling from the sky and it's wreaking havoc in all sorts of ways, including hitting some right in the wallet.
"That's the worst part about it," Chris MacKay said Monday.
The 25-year-old Greenfield resident is currently trying to work on the new hospital parking lot with a Dexter Construction grading crew. In each of the past two weeks he's only been able to put in two days worth of work on the site and was home again Monday waiting for the rain to stop.
"It's really frustrating," he said. "At the end of the week you only have a couple days on the paycheque."
Crews were also sitting idle Monday across the street at the civic centre construction site as about 10mm of rain fell.
MacKay isn't the only one feeling the pinch thanks to the weather. Old Barns farmer Duncan McCurdy hasn't been able to plant any of his corn or soy bean crops and with the forecast predicting much of the same weather, he's starting to worry whether he can get them in the ground before it's time for the first cut of silage, which is typically in late May.
"The work doesn't go away just because you can't get it done," said the 42-year-old who has been farming for more than 20 years. "For people covering a lot of acres, it comes down to can you get it done in time?"
McCurdy is about a week behind on his corn crops and one or two behind on his wheat and oats. He managed to get his barley crops planted before the weather turned wet.
"That's all assuming we can go tomorrow," he said. "The more disturbing thing is we're not seeing it getting much better for the next while. The more it drags on the more of an issue it becomes."
Area golf courses are also feeling the pinch as golfers stay off the course in favour of their dry living rooms.
"People lose interest right now because of the rain so it's just hard to function," said Ross Percy, the Mountain Golf Club's general manager, who aside from a cleaner, was the only one at the course Monday. "You lose revenue because nobody is out."
Percy said since golfers are staying away, so must his staff.
"It's hard on the staff because you have to keep them at home so it's just hard overall. You rely on the weather for golfing."
The soggy ground is keeping the ground crew from working on the 18-hole course to have it ready for when the sun actually does break through.
"The only way this is good is for the office. I can get a lot of stuff done like ordering, but we'd rather see people up here," Percy said.
Maybe the only person who is happy to see all the rain is Rob Uttaro, the fire management supervisor for the Department of Natural Resources.
"There hasn't been a lot of fire activity which is good because we might get through a good portion of the growing season without hazardous weather," Uttaro said.
So far this year the province has seen 83 fires burn 122 hectares of land, compared with the 504.5 hectares last year in 224 fires. Spring is when the majority of large fires occur as people try to burn off the winter kill.
"It's down quite significantly, almost threefold," Uttaro said.
But even Uttaro has his limits when it comes to the amount of rain that's been falling.
"There is such a thing as overkill," he said with a laugh.
Those looking to plant trees are also loving the conditions.
"Late cool springs like this more than likely keeps people from thinking a lot about gardening and lawn care, but from the tree’s perspective this is fantastic planting weather,” said Truro tree technician Andrew Williams.
http://www.trurodaily.com/News/Local...rain-go-away/1

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 7:42 PM

Quote:
When asked about what he would
like to happen in the next 12 months,
Mann said “one would hope that we
will see a start to construction, that we
will have the agreements and arrangements in sufficient order that we will be
able to proceed with construction.”
http://www.porthawkesburyreporter.co...&%20Review.pdf

The quote above is about the Maher International Terminal. Another thing they pointed out was that it is hoped that around 90% of all cargo will be coming in and out by rail. CBCNS looks like it will be sticking around....at least for mainland NS. The link is for the 2011 review and look ahead for the straight area.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:17 AM

Quote:
http://www.porthawkesburyreporter.co...&%20Review.pdf

The quote above is about the Maher International Terminal. Another thing they pointed out was that it is hoped that around 90% of all cargo will be coming in and out by rail. CBCNS looks like it will be sticking around....at least for mainland NS. The link is for the 2011 review and look ahead for the straight area.
Antigonish is going through a housing boom lately, and I believe this is the main culprit. Fingers crossed construction starts very soon.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISH89 View Post
Antigonish is going through a housing boom lately, and I believe this is the main culprit. Fingers crossed construction starts very soon.
Ya, I noticed that too. Especially up past the hospital. I forget what that newer area is called.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Ya, I noticed that too. Especially up past the hospital. I forget what that newer area is called.
Mount Cameron Estates.

When the first street plan billboard was put up, my friend and I counted ~370 lots when the whole thing is filled in! Also not sure if you noticed since school ended but a 3 story apartment building it going up beside Tim Hortons on main street across from Webbs.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Mount Cameron Estates.

When the first street plan billboard was put up, my friend and I counted ~370 lots when the whole thing is filled in! Also not sure if you noticed since school ended but a 3 story apartment building it going up beside Tim Hortons on main street across from Webbs.
I'm here for the summer, working at sobeys. But no I didn't know that. great! I also walked by the site where the 7 storey condos are suppose to be going. The sign out front has pictures of what the building will look like. Which reminds me, I need to add those to this thread.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 1:05 AM

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Something for everyone at new aquatic centre
The aquatic centre at the new Pictou County Wellness Centre will have something for everyone.
From lane swimming to toddlers at play, from warm-water therapy programs to fully-accessible and family-friendly areas, the aquatic centre is one of the main features of the new facility.
The 12,000 square-foot, sun-lit space will house three accessible pools: a 25-meter, six-lane pool; a 200-square-metre leisure pool and a 10-square metre therapeutic hot tub.
“This new aquatic centre will give us the opportunity and the capacity to expand and improve the programs we currently offer at the YMCA,” said Dave MacIntyre, YMCA of Pictou County general manager. “We could have lane swimming plus classes in both ends of the large pool, swimming classes in the smaller pool, people using the lazy river or the hot tub for therapy programs and kids enjoying the teacup feature and floor bubbles all at the same time.”
The leisure pool includes a wheelchair ramp, a tot’s shallow-end, massage jets, beginner training lanes, water sprays and a fitness current. The fitness current, or lazy river, offers more than just a recreational swim – the current offers therapeutic capabilities for rehabilitation programs and also features a seating area for people to enjoy a relaxing warm-water soak. The current can be turned up and down for resistance and provides athletes and fitness enthusiasts with an alternative to conventional work out methods.
The warm water in the leisure pool and warmer water in the hot tub will be an attractive feature to the aging population and those with disabilities and therapy needs who can use the new centre as another resource to improve their health and well-being.
All of the pools are fully-accessible with a chair lift available for use that can be transported for access to any of the water features. Also, the leisure pool hosts a wheel chair ramp to increase accessibility to all users.
The increased offerings of simultaneous programs in the pool, accessibility and new resources are only just the beginning of the benefits of this new aquatic centre. Located off of the pool deck is a multi-purpose room that can be used for meetings, birthday parties and other events. The centre also features a steam room, used for relaxation and therapeutic purposes.
Adjacent to the pools and accessible from the deck area are change rooms which include dedicated areas for families and those requiring assisted care as well as ‘youth’ and ‘adult’ sides in both the male and female change rooms.
On the pool deck, there are wooden benches that line the exterior of the large pool and two benches by the leisure pool offering seating to spectators. Further viewing is also available from the main lobby.
“Some of the features of this centre are unlike any other available in our area and will allow people to relax, play, compete or enjoy – at any age and ability,” said MacIntyre.
“This is a very exciting addition to the resources for the YMCA and for our community.”
The existing Fisheries Training Pool in Pictou will be utilized as an extension of the new complex and enhance Pictou County’s ability to attract and host major aquatic events.
MacIntyre says that including the Fisheries Pool in the new Wellness Centre was an important feature in early planning and is designed to ensure that programming is complementary rather than competitive. The Pictou pool will continue to host swimming and the ability for deep water programming.
Construction of the centre is expected to begin this month, with the opening slated for late 2012.
http://www.pictouadvocate.com/stories.asp?id=5643

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Brown space turned green offers athletes new track facility

STELLARTON – The Pioneer Coal Athletics Field had the sun shining on it to yesterday to mark its official opening.
Young athletes, local town councillors, politicians and citizens gathered at the field in Stellarton to celebrate.
Susan Peters, a member of the Pictou County Recreation and Athletics Society, emceed the event.
“We were the little engine that could,” she began. “We turned a brown space into a green one.”
Peters said the process of building the facility took nearly seven years to complete and cost nearly $3.5 million.
“It gives me a sense of pride looking out at the track with the Stellarton water tower above,” said Stellarton Mayor Joe Gennoe.
He said to develop the track took vision and dedication and he thanked the committee and volunteers for having both. He added that the track is for the people of Pictou County but has a reach into surrounding communities like Truro and Antigonish.
Central Nova MP and Minister of National Defence Peter MacKay said the field was a remarkable accomplishment considering what the condition of the field was a year ago.
“This field will motivate the next generation of athletes,” said MacKay.
“This is an amazing facility, my heart goes out to the committee members and the volunteers,” said Henderson Paris, New Glasgow councillor.
Paris is an avid runner who travelled across Canada competing in track and field events when he was younger and he coached in schools and privately for more than 20 years.
“I’ve had a long career in track and field,” he said. “When I was a coach we trained on a dirt track.”
Paris said he was always envious of the track in Halifax.
“I hoped some day something would happen to get a better track, and this is that day.”
This weekend the track will host the Nova Scotia School Athletic Federation track regionals.
http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011...ack-facility/1

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Vision closer to reality

Construction has officially started on the site for the new Pictou County Wellness Centre taking Pictou County’s vision for a state-of-the-art facility one-step closer.
“It is so great to see the shovels in the ground,” said Dave MacIntyre, volunteer campaign cabinet member and YMCA of Pictou County general manager.
“I think that people seeing the construction begin will add more momentum to the campaign – it truly makes the vision a reality when you see the building actually getting started and equipment on the site.”
The new facility will be fully accessible and environmentally friendly, and will include:
and#9658;A six-lane, 25-metre pool capable of accommodating a range of aquatic programs and activities such as swim instruction, leadership, fitness and competitions from beginner to advanced levels
and#9658;A warm water pool for therapeutic and adapted programs and for recreational activities
and#9658;A twin pad arena with two NHL-sized ice surfaces. The main arena will have fixed seating and dedicated VIP boxes to accommodate 1,680 spectators for hockey games and a total capacity of 3,117 attendees at concerts and major events. The auxiliary arena will have fixed seating for 180
and#9658;A regulation size gymnasium
and#9658;A dedicated fitness centre with studios
and#9658;Multi-purpose community and conference space designed to support a wide range of programs and activities (e.g., sport/recreation, fitness/wellness, arts, social events, presentations, seminars, lectures, meetings, training sessions, visual arts, etc.) with appropriate equipment and amenities
and#9658;A walking track to be co-located with the twin pad arena
and#9658;Dedicated youth and child-minding rooms and a licensed child care facility
and#9658;Multi-use spaces, food service areas and administration offices
Bird Construction, a leading national contractor has been awarded the contract for construction and projects the completion of the facility in late 2012. The site of the Wellness Centre is located on the corner of MacGregor Avenue and Westville Road, off of Exit 23 in New Glasgow.
“I think that this will be a place that people and families in Pictou County will include on their Sunday drives,” said Murray Hill, Campaign Co-chair for the Wellness Centre Campaign. “This idea has been in the works for many years and we are so excited to see the construction begin.”
The 150,000 square-foot Wellness Centre will be managed by the Pictou County Wellness Centre Building Authority. The world-class, fully accessible, energy-efficient Centre will be a place that supports an active and healthy lifestyle; a place to exchange business ideas; a place for future stars to practice and play sports; and finally as an economic engine through the hosting of high calibre conferences and sporting events for which Pictou County is already known, both nationally and internationally. For more information please visit www.pcwellnesscentre.ca.
http://www.pictouadvocate.com/stories.asp?id=5677

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Town ready to continue revitalizing downtown
Steve Goodwin
The second phase of New Glasgow’s downtown revitalization can proceed once funding applications have been approved, CAO Lisa MacDonald says.
The town has applied to Economic Development Nova Scotia and ACOA for funding for the 20-year plan, she said.
“We’ve done our work,” she said. “We’re really under no expectations, but we’re waiting for their deliberations.
Town council has reviewed the plan, which is still being developed but has received considerable public input.
The first phase included replacing sidewalks and reconfiguring parking spots along provost Street, introducing a new brand called New Glasgow Flourish and other construction that included a kiosk at the corner of George and Provost streets and refurbishing and re-dedicating the town bell on the corner of Dalhousie and Archimedes streets.
“There’s a new feeling in the downtown core,” she said.
Downtown buildings are also in varying stages of repair.
The two-storey Carmichael property on George Street was recently purchased by a numbered company for use as office space. The building was previously the home of Fibber’s Pub and Eatery.
Although zoned commercial, MacDonald said it’s among downtown properties that can accommodate residences.
“Residency is totally in line with our downtown strategy,” she said.
The former Commercial Equipment building on the corner of George and Provost streets was torn down after the Pictou County Shared Services Authority recently issued a demolition permit.
The Irving-owned building tendered its demolition and is preparing to sell the land, although MacDonald was uncertain how it would be used.
“They will continue to try to sell the property,” she said. “We want what is in the best interests of our downtown merchants.”
Meanwhile, the Maritime Building’s future remains on hold. Its receiver is BDO Canada, which is also the receiver for the idle Maritime Steel and Foundries Ltd.
The possibility of the plant reopening concerns the town, MacDonald said.
She noted poor air quality was one of the reasons why provincial court facilities were moved from New Glasgow to Pictou.
MacDonald said she was looking forward to the May 28 reopening of the New Glasgow Farmer’s Market for the season with enhancements that include more local food products and crafts.
“It’s helping local rural businesses develop a customer base in our downtown,” she said. “I think it’s important to know where your food comes from and support your neighbours.”
http://www.pictouadvocate.com/index.asp

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 10:22 PM

The new 3 lane Main St. bridge in Antigonish just opened up for traffic tonight. There are a few touchups to do repaving etc. but for the most part it looks unreal.

Also the 3 story apartment building next to this bridge called "Haley House" is coming along really well, should be done before the end of the month. I'll post pictures this weekend. Peace.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 6:26 PM

Quote:
DSTN official opens doors on new wind turbine operation in Pictou County

TRENTON – A former railcar plant has been transformed into a wind turbine tower and blade manufacturing facility that claims it will create hundreds of jobs for Nova Scotians.
Premier Darrell Dexter and Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering Ltd. (DSME) president and CEO Sang-Tae Nam celebrated the grand opening of DSME Trenton Ltd. (DSTN) today, June 14.
"Congratulations to everyone who has played a part in creating a world class manufacturing facility in DSTN," said Premier Dexter. "This investment is already creating the good jobs the province needs while showcasing Nova Scotia as a leader in renewable energy."
Dexter and Nam completed the transformation by officially starting the company's production line at the Trenton, Pictou Co. facility.
The plant has more than 100 workers, and will continue to expand as new orders are received. With orders for 30 towers, the grand opening marks DSME's entry into the renewable energy industry.
"We are very pleased with the results of our expansion into the North American market, and our strong partnership with the province and the Pictou area," said DSTN CEO Nam-Ki Lee. "The progress we see here today underlines that we are well on our way to creating a renewable energy cluster in Nova Scotia."
The province secured a 49 per cent stake in the operation through investments made in 2010 to establish DSTN as a joint venture between the province and DSME at the former TrentonWorks site. An additional $10 million was invested by the government of Canada.

"Today, thanks to the hard of work of countless people in our community, we welcome a new employer to Pictou County, and a new green technology partner to Nova Scotia," said Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, on behalf of ACOA Minister Bernard Valcourt. "The federal government is proud to have been a driving force behind bringing industry and jobs back to Pictou County. In the wake of the global economic recession, we are creating jobs and supporting the kind of growth that contributes to a sustainable future for our region and for Canada."
DSME is a diversified company and one of the world's largest ship builders. The South Korean-based company was established in 1973 and today is a first-class builder of commercial and naval ships and offshore projects. In 2009, DSME acquired DeWind Inc., an American wind turbine engineering company, and announced plans to expand into the wind-power sector and build a production plant in North America. South Korea-based Daewoo is publicly listed on the Korean Stock Exchange.
http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011...ictou-County/1

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
The new 3 lane Main St. bridge in Antigonish just opened up for traffic tonight. There are a few touchups to do repaving etc. but for the most part it looks unreal.

Also the 3 story apartment building next to this bridge called "Haley House" is coming along really well, should be done before the end of the month. I'll post pictures this weekend. Peace.
Thanks for the updates. Haven't been to that side of town in awhile. Did you end up getting any pics?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 8:29 PM

Just thought id post this picture of Sobeys HQ from the highway :

Taken over the weekend

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the updates. Haven't been to that side of town in awhile. Did you end up getting any pics?
This week I promise man haha. Got DAF friday night and crashed longboarding down brooklyn street road rashed my knee and ankle real bad hurts to walk.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 1:22 AM

Quote:
This week I promise man haha. Got DAF friday night and crashed longboarding down brooklyn street road rashed my knee and ankle real bad hurts to walk.
LOL that makes two of us. And that's what you get for drunk longboarding

I'd get some pics myself but I'm driving back and forth from NG basically everyday cuz I'm working at Zellers in NG and Sobeys in the Nish.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 1:28 AM

Quote:
LOL that makes two of us. And that's what you get for drunk longboarding

I'd get some pics myself but I'm driving back and forth from NG basically everyday cuz I'm working at Zellers in NG and Sobeys in the Nish.
LOL how did you get yourself into that one?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces