HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 9:31 PM

You rock. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 11:59 PM

Staff Report [PDF] recommends approval. Going before the Design Commission on April 16th.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 10:00 PM

The DJC is reporting that the Design Commission approved this yesterday. I tried emailing the planner assigned to this project to ask for drawings but did not receive a response.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 10:04 PM

Porter

Maccoinnich,

The failure of the Auditor's office to post the materials before the hearing is frustrating.

I attended the first half hour of yesterday's hearing. The drawings presented by the architect did not vary from the drawings you posted on NextPortland with the blue glass mosaic and light stone base.

Hilton is requesting some exterior signage but that will be a separate issue for consideration.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 10:28 PM

I assume that the Design Commision was presented with more drawings than were shown in the RFR. It seems like whoever is responsible for uploading drawings to efiles has just given up, which effectively deprives the public of the ability to comment. For instance the NW 23rd Restoration Hardware had a hearing before the Historic Landmarks Commission on Monday, but there are no drawings online.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I assume that the Design Commision was presented with more drawings than were shown in the RFR. It seems like whoever is responsible for uploading drawings to efiles has just given up, which effectively deprives the public of the ability to comment. For instance the NW 23rd Restoration Hardware had a hearing before the Historic Landmarks Commission on Monday, but there are no drawings online.
Seriously, who can I e-mail that will listen about this? I can rattle some email inboxes at least. This information should be out in the open if a project is being presented.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:13 AM

Jeffrey Mitchem is the planner assigned to the case. You could try emailing him at Jeffrey.Mitchem@portlandoregon.gov, though it didn't do any good when I tried.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Jeffrey Mitchem is the planner assigned to the case. You could try emailing him at Jeffrey.Mitchem@portlandoregon.gov, though it didn't do any good when I tried.
He's assigned to the specific case, but is there a level of bureaucracy that oversees the quality of information being given out by the city? You know, to complain above Jeffrey's head.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:30 AM

I really have no idea whose responsibility it is to do public notifications and publish the drawings, but I would expect that the planner reviewing the project would know. Ultimately Amanda Fritz is the commissioner in charge of the Bureau of Development Services, but that's probably a few too many steps up.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:35 AM

Quote:
I really have no idea whose responsibility it is to do public notifications and publish the drawings, but I would expect that the planner reviewing the project would know. Ultimately Amanda Fritz is the commissioner in charge of the Bureau of Development Services, but that's probably a few too many steps up.
I just suspect he's not willing to respond because the subject is his potential incompetence.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:59 AM

Well, as I said I don't know that it's the responsibility of any one planner to upload the drawings, so I think "incompetence" is quite a strong word. And I certainly didn't suggest it when I emailed.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 5:08 AM

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 7:04 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I like it. It's not exactly a stunner, but it fits into the neighborhood, and it tops out right about where KOIN Tower starts to get narrow, which is a good thing. If it were taller, it would create visual clutter. The sooner this rises, the better.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:10 AM

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:23 AM
A before E

The rendering looks like a good infill building.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:

I actually like this. While it's not going to win any awards, it's way better than much of the junk being built today. With the hotel market being as strong as it is, it's too bad they're not building ti bigger by another 100-150 rooms on top of this.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 6:02 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:26 PM

I'm pretty sure the cars are going the wrong way in those renders. SW 2nd is one way going North. Those cars are South-facing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 9:45 PM

Cycling along the Eastbank Esplanade today it occurred to me that the Porter will fill in a gap on the skyline quite nicely.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 10:27 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Boy, from that angle it sure will, though it'll basically block the Essex House and the Portland Plaza condo building seen here behind it. I keep forgetting this hotel is going to be named The Porter. It'll be a nice infill building for sure. I'm actually glad it's only going to rise to the height where the KOIN starts to get slender.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland