HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Trump Tower Philadelphia in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 7:50 PM

I am looking forward to the construction.

Does anyone know if it is on schedule????

I just moved to the area, and its rapidly changing. In a few more years there is a good chance it will be prime real-estate (it actually already is prime real estate).

The look is somewhat bland, but its geometry matches Philly well, esp being so close to the Ben Franklin Bridge. Remember, Philly is not known for iconic buildings.

I guess only time will tell

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 7:55 PM

I think Philly deserves better than this from the hairpiece...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
Who is bashing the city because of this design? I have seen more comments saying that Philly is a great city and deserves better, than 'Philly bashing' comments. And WFS DOES look like 'projects'..and alot of people in Philly agree-check out the WFS thread. I have not seen anyone 'trolling' either-if anything you should quit being such a homer. Funny how you are complaining about people 'hating' yet your post is the most negatively directed towards other posters.

I counted at least three posts in the first page from non-Philadelphians that either bashed the city, (ie: is Philadelphia really that disgusting), or the location with what seemed like little actual knowledge of where it is located. (that would be like me going into a Columbus page, with having never been there, and complaining about the city and site).

As for WFS looking like projects, that's fine if you think that...I'm just glad that the projects where you come from look so nice...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 10:18 PM
HERO

Personally, i like it. It is BOLD, the dark blue makes it fancy, and its my favourite of the riverfront proposals. i really like how it does a good job of disguising the garage, however i dont see any river access. i really do like the tower though, id like it more if it were a few hundred feet taller, after chicago, this is quite a drop in height, but then again, its not going up in chicago. i hope it breaks ground on schedule!

EDIT: no ground floor retail or reasturants?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 11:25 PM
Hello

I grabbed this image from the Bridgeman's View Tower proposal thread. I do not recall the origin of the image. For those of you that think the area has no potential, the rendering shows all of the proposed development for the area, including Trump Tower. As Philadelphia's Delaware River riverfront develops, it will become amazing...just needs a little time.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 11:33 PM
None...

What's worse is the exposed concrete wall on the two buildings on the property beside Trump.

WTF is that?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 11:50 PM

Not the best Trump Tower that I've ever seen, but it is nice. I wish that Trump would consider building a tower here in San Francisco. We could use a bit more flash in our skyline.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 3:42 AM

I dont think The Donald has his hands on this one. I read in Philadelphia Magazine a year or so ago that Trump is basically selling his name and thats about the extent of his involvement. Maybe his kids have a token hand to make it look good. Philly just isnt Donalds kind of town. He's NY to the bone and a little Chicago.

The tower on the Trump Tower site has a little different look to it. A bit of an improvement from the blue version

http://trumptowerpa.com

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
What's worse is the exposed concrete wall on the two buildings on the property beside Trump.

WTF is that?
That would be Waterfront Square..the 'wonderful' buildings that Ninjawho does NOT think look like projects(but we all know they do).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 12:30 PM

Last edited by toddguy; Nov 6, 2007 at 5:30 PM. Reason: oops double post

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 12:30 PM

Last edited by toddguy; Nov 6, 2007 at 5:31 PM. Reason: triple post

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 4:39 PM

triple post for emphasis or just cause the board owned you?

have you ever seen the buildings in person? I don't want to take away from the Trump discussion but this issue of talking about things you've never actually been to see kinda fits into what I was complaining about before...I'm not saying your not allowed to have an opinion, (if not why would we be here talking in the first place), but uninformed, nonsensical, biased banter is basically trolling and thats why I called it that on the first page.

The buildings are not the nicest condos ever made. Clearly. But if you knew anything about the site you would know that WFS was the first major development in that area. EVER. Putting Manhattanesqu waterfront property there wouldn't have made sense. Rome was not built in a day.

Still, I'm glad that you live in a world where your low income housing looks so nice.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:08 PM

wow... what is up with the personal attacks.

Can't we all just get along.

Can't you see what's happening. This building is tearing you all apart. Stop the madness.

Any who, as mentioned before, it's not Trump's best project, but like was said, he does sell his name. So maybe that's all it is. He personally has nothing to do with it, other than maybe giving some advice or something. Was he even at the ceremony for the premiere?

Looks like his son maybe behind this project!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:36 PM
Big 'n Tall geek

^^^Whaddya mean "Philly is not known for signature buildings?"

Consider Liberty 1 and 2; Mellon Bank Tower, Bell Atlantic/Verizon Tower - CIRA CENTRE - and now Comcast Center, our tallest yet.

Gia

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjawho View Post
triple post for emphasis or just cause the board owned you?

have you ever seen the buildings in person? I don't want to take away from the Trump discussion but this issue of talking about things you've never actually been to see kinda fits into what I was complaining about before...I'm not saying your not allowed to have an opinion, (if not why would we be here talking in the first place), but uninformed, nonsensical, biased banter is basically trolling and thats why I called it that on the first page.

The buildings are not the nicest condos ever made. Clearly. But if you knew anything about the site you would know that WFS was the first major development in that area. EVER. Putting Manhattanesqu waterfront property there wouldn't have made sense. Rome was not built in a day.

Still, I'm glad that you live in a world where your low income housing looks so nice.
The board did not own me. (and the site was having problems, hence the triple post). And WFS sucks, looks nothing like what is was supposed to look like, the top boxes on each tower are hideous, and it does look like project housing to me. There are alot of people in Philly who have commented also that 1. it is awful 2. it looks like projects. Check out the WFS thread and read through it. I posted on that thread way back when and I am not a troll. YOU are the first one who took the attacks from being directed at a building or a city(yeah there was some of it looking back I admit) to directed at other forum members-and that is what I call basic trolling. And I suppose we can only comment on buildings that we have seen in person? Are you going to follow this same mantra as well and never comment on buildings you have never seen? Please. And why exactly is my thinking 'biased, uninformed, and non-sensical'? I had followed and read the entire WFS thread in this forum. Have you? I hardly call my opinions trolling-you were the one who made things personal in your post.

and for the record I do not mind the Trump design that much, and I think it fits the criteria more as a groundbreaker for a newly developing area than WFS does. Great? no. Adequate? Yes. At least it does not look like WFS.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waterfront Square looks to be only marginally better than this-public housing in Columbus..and the tops on these actually look BETTER than WFS!!

Last edited by toddguy; Nov 6, 2007 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giamomj View Post
Consider Liberty 1 and 2; Mellon Bank Tower, Bell Atlantic/Verizon Tower - CIRA CENTRE - and now Comcast Center, our tallest yet.

Gia

You're right and not to mention older "signature" buildings such as The Art Museum, City Hall and Independence Hall. I think Phila is very distinctive.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giamomj View Post

Gia

RE: PHilly's iconic/signature structures:

There's the PSFS Building (now the Loew's Hotel) which was the first American Skyscraper designed in the International style...... early 1930s. The second tower in that style was in NYC---the old McGraw-Hill Building on West 42 St.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:57 PM

Ok I take my statement back!

What I really meant to pin-point is that the philly hi-rise pure residential buildings are not iconic/signature when compared to chicago and nyc, with the exception of the murano.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 9:15 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
wow... what is up with the personal attacks.

Can't we all just get along.

Can't you see what's happening. This building is tearing you all apart. Stop the madness.
I am sorry there have to be personal attacks. There is really no excuse for those except maybe in response to a personal attack.
That being said I prefer threads on buildings that are controversial and that people feel strongly about one way or the other. It's so much better then a building thread where comments one after the other say "that's beautiful", "that's nice", "that will fit in well", "xtown is lucky to get that", bla,bla,bla!
Just remember that when anyone diss's a building or a location to not take it personally. You can disagree and say so but they still have a right to their opinion without being insulted.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
The board did not own me. (and the site was having problems, hence the triple post). And WFS sucks, looks nothing like what is was supposed to look like, the top boxes on each tower are hideous, and it does look like project housing to me. There are alot of people in Philly who have commented also that 1. it is awful 2. it looks like projects. Check out the WFS thread and read through it. I posted on that thread way back when and I am not a troll. YOU are the first one who took the attacks from being directed at a building or a city(yeah there was some of it looking back I admit) to directed at other forum members-and that is what I call basic trolling. And I suppose we can only comment on buildings that we have seen in person? Are you going to follow this same mantra as well and never comment on buildings you have never seen? Please. And why exactly is my thinking 'biased, uninformed, and non-sensical'? I had followed and read the entire WFS thread in this forum. Have you? I hardly call my opinions trolling-you were the one who made things personal in your post.

and for the record I do not mind the Trump design that much, and I think it fits the criteria more as a groundbreaker for a newly developing area than WFS does. Great? no. Adequate? Yes. At least it does not look like WFS.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waterfront Square looks to be only marginally better than this-public housing in Columbus..and the tops on these actually look BETTER than WFS!!

Just because you've read the WFS thread doesn't mean coming into this one precludes you from trolling...maybe I should have picked a better word. Flaming. In all honesty, I really wasn't that offended by your comments, being as they were just an opinion, (which you're more than welcome to hold) and I could tell you've never been down to the Delaware to see them yourself. So I took it with a grain of salt. I was more ticked by the guy from Amsterdam calling my city gross. Taking that comment along with your comment and a few before attacking the Trump Site and WFS gave me the impression that people were just coming into the thread to bust on Philly. I don't ever recall making this personal, from my initial post, just wondering aloud why it was people felt the need to make negative comments about the city and site when they'd never been there. That to me is extremely ignorant.

As for me not commenting on buildings I've never seen in person...I guess that has really never been put to the test because I hardly ever go to other threads concerning other cities. I don't really have that much of an interest besides to see other designs, (which sadly for Philadelphia tend to be much more progressive and ascetically pleasing). So while it might sound silly to you, I really can't answer that question. I certainly wouldn't make negative comments about a site or a city without ever being there...but maybe thats just me.

And while I'm not going to make wide generalizations about Philadelphians, I will say that many, if not most, have the attitude that if you dis philly you dis us. Maybe it doesn't work like that where you come from. That's just how we are...very sensitive like that :p

The tops of the buildings are pretty sweet and I will definitely say that a big reason you might think WFS looks like projects is because of those stupid boxes on top. Remember, I never said I liked WFS particularly, just that they didn't look like projects. I think thats kinda offensive to people who actually do live in the projects and makes me wonder if you've ever been around areas where they exist. (don't take that personally, its just the impression I get from what you were saying) If that's what projects look like in Columbus then I was right in saying you live in a much better world. East Coast, (old school), low income high zoning residential buildings look NOTHING like that. At least that I've ever seen from DC to Boston. Still I don't think WFS looks anything like the pics you posted....

tops are nice tho

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive