HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
Hey now, I grew up in EDH.
I'm sorry.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusey View Post
It's all good! I grew up in Folsom.
I'm sorry.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 1:27 AM

Why the hate for Eldorado Hills?

I wish I lived in EDH...cause that means I'm rich...who doesn't want to be rich?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 3:21 AM

^
I don't. Money isnt everything. I want to enjoy life and be happy. I can do it w/o $$$.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 5:01 AM
Here we stAy

I used to live in EDH when I was a little tike, but the oozing blob that is Serano made my parents want to leave. Their little village is a cute attempt at a downtown too.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 2:44 PM
Repeat!

Yeah, Town Center seems to be the new fad in strip malls now. There are actually a couple of good restaurants there, but the rest is 'meh'.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 3:28 PM

I think we are getting way off topic.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 11:32 PM
Closed account

^ This argument again? The only reason there is negative talk against EDH and Folsom from people on here is class envy. I tried to get a straight answer thinking maybe one of you has something factual or intelligent reason to give me for hating such areas like EDH and Folsom, but no avail and got the biggest bunch of BS I ever heard.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 12:32 AM
Repeat!

For the record I only hate EDH because of those 90210 knock-off t-shirts from the early 90's.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 4:40 AM

You can be wealthy and live in midtown/east sac/land park...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 5:09 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
You can be wealthy and live in midtown/east sac/land park...
I would own more property like a high-rise condo in Midtown or Downtown once they get something decent built. Everyone knows the fab 40s are just simply wonderful. There are many houses and neighborhoods around Land Park that are also top-notch.

My point is: Fab 40s, El Dorado Hills: SAME DAMN THING! Just the Fab 40's were built in the 40's and EDH is still being built. I am sure Wburg will chime in and say that EDH won't keep its value like the Fab 40's, but that is just completely false. Its single family homes, with pools, and neighbors etc. Its a suburb: Land Park, Fab 40s, Most of Midtown, East Sac, South Sac, Elk Grove, Natomas, Folsom, ETC ETC ETC.. All single family homes, suburban landscapes. I owned a house in a Cul-de-sac in South Sac (an older suburb) and laugh when people call it urban, Why? Cause there are more people with dark skin?? They are all the same, just built at different times, with the same type of people doing the same types of things. You can scream about race and be completely ignorant if you want, but my black ass loves EDH. Except when all the smoke rises up here and sits on top of us...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
I would own more property like a high-rise condo in Midtown or Downtown once they get something decent built. Everyone knows the fab 40s are just simply wonderful. There are many houses and neighborhoods around Land Park that are also top-notch.

My point is: Fab 40s, El Dorado Hills: SAME DAMN THING! Just the Fab 40's were built in the 40's and EDH is still being built. I am sure Wburg will chime in and say that EDH won't keep its value like the Fab 40's, but that is just completely false. Its single family homes, with pools, and neighbors etc. Its a suburb: Land Park, Fab 40s, Most of Midtown, East Sac, South Sac, Elk Grove, Natomas, Folsom, ETC ETC ETC.. All single family homes, suburban landscapes. I owned a house in a Cul-de-sac in South Sac (an older suburb) and laugh when people call it urban, Why? Cause there are more people with dark skin?? They are all the same, just built at different times, with the same type of people doing the same types of things. You can scream about race and be completely ignorant if you want, but my black ass loves EDH. Except when all the smoke rises up here and sits on top of us...
The problem is that EDH (as you call it) is about 30 miles from DT Sacramento...far from the core...that means most people there commute and contribute more to pollution and congestion than those living in Land Park, East Sac, Fab 40's, etc which are, at most 6 or 7 miles away from DT. There is a HUGE difference between EDH and DT/MT/Land Park, etc!!! The difference is that the lifestyle of those living in the city center is more alternative transit friendly and much more dense so they don't typically have to drive as far to get to the grocery store, restaurants, nightlife, etc. Those in EDH drive everywhere in their massive SUV tanks and pollute the air for those of us who are making smarter choices closer to the city center! (sweeping generalization, I know...but, mostly true!!). Anyway, big difference! But, then, I don't even know why I'm arguing this point with you because many of your thoughts and ideas are counter to the ideals that this forum represents like urban living and smart urban growth. EDH is NOT smart urban growth no matter how your twisted "I still don't believe in global warming!" mind sees it!! So, don't even try it!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 10:12 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
The problem is that EDH (as you call it) is about 30 miles from DT Sacramento...far from the core...that means most people there commute and contribute more to pollution and congestion than those living in Land Park, East Sac, Fab 40's, etc which are, at most 6 or 7 miles away from DT. There is a HUGE difference between EDH and DT/MT/Land Park, etc!!! The difference is that the lifestyle of those living in the city center is more alternative transit friendly and much more dense so they don't typically have to drive as far to get to the grocery store, restaurants, nightlife, etc. Those in EDH drive everywhere in their massive SUV tanks and pollute the air for those of us who are making smarter choices closer to the city center! (sweeping generalization, I know...but, mostly true!!). Anyway, big difference! But, then, I don't even know why I'm arguing this point with you because many of your thoughts and ideas are counter to the ideals that this forum represents like urban living and smart urban growth. EDH is NOT smart urban growth no matter how your twisted "I still don't believe in global warming!" mind sees it!! So, don't even try it!
Your right, you will never convince me that my SUV is doing the world any harm, also, like many many many others like me, you can take my SUV from me by prying the keys from my cold dead hands. That is, if I lost the battle.

If you dare to look at the other side of Global BULLSHIT Warming, here ya go. I doubt my SUV is causing Mars polar caps to melt as well....

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-warming.html

http://nov55.com/gbwm.html

Live Free Or Die

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 6:42 PM
Hindrance to Development

How can there be class envy if America is a classless society?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
How can there be class envy if America is a classless society?
Amen to that!!!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 3:03 PM

Ecograd get off your Right Wing soapbox. "YAWN" You are obviously are very angry some people dare to hold you responsible for your choices which negatively impact others. BTW buddy it's not just about global warming.

It's also about a worldview that says we have a responsibility towards the larger society, that we should build community not gates, a belief that if community exists then both freedom and security will exist. It respects core human values rather than the petty "morals" of small minded people, and holds that basic fairness and honestly supercedes the individual "Me" desire's for personal gain.

The problem with the global warming deniers like you is that if you are wrong -well we really lose don't we? What are you going to say: "Opps my bad" Yeah thanks for that. Even if you are right we still lose if we continue to follow your Way- crippled economy, our nation owned by foreign interests, contaminated air and water, and on and on. On the other hand we can hardly lose if we follow a greener path.

Anyway (after my 2 cents of course ) me says this is a thread about the K Street Mall so it'is not the appropriate to debate this sort of thing here.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 5:55 PM

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson

What good is "winning" the war on global warming if you have to sacrifice your freedom to do so? Everybody is always talking about the good of society. Well, that's neat and all, but what about the good of individual rights? No, you can't have both.

I consider myself to be a "global warming denier” (Your words, ozone - no doubt to be compared with a Holocaust denier). However, my denial has nothing to do with the existence of climate change. Of course there is change - the Earth is dynamic. Instead, I reject the notion people are responsible for it. (Humans create CO2 which causes warming - this is the basic idea of Algore's Inconvenient Truth. However, if you look at the evidence, you will find CO2 chases warming, it does not lead warming.)

I know a number of people who live in Rocklin, Folsom and EDH. They don't work in the Central City; they work much closer to their homes (no 60+ mile roundtrips). Also, they don't drive SUVs; they drive Civics, Accords, Corollas, and Camrys. Sorry, neuhicky, I won't excuse you from your sweeping statement. I agree many people in the eastern suburbs drive their SUVs 60+ miles to work and back each day. But most? I'm not so sure about that.

Rather than holding SUV driving suburbanites responsible for their choices which (supposedly) negatively impact others, I think there is a better solution. Get rid of the Federal Reserve and get rid of the excessive, easy credit that causes people to buy big, expensive, wasteful things they don't need - like 8 mpg SUVs, 3500 square foot, no backyard "Tuscan" cookie-cutter homes and 1000 calorie vente caramel crapiatto coffee drinks. I say make our market a truly free one, with proper interest rates, a reasonable supply of money and no bail outs - that'll eventually lead to people making better decisions. But let us not legislate against those who wish to live outside the central city - that's just not American. Really, some of you need to move to the UK - you'd be at home in the land of ASBO's and CCTV cameras.

I'm not sure any of you care about the environment as much as you let on. Honestly, I think you just enjoy telling people what to do. Like good little statist "progressive" busy bodies, you stand on your leftist soap boxes and demand a government solution to those things you dislike. After all, why convince someone to live your way when you can force them? Abusing people's individual liberties is so much more fun, isn't it? Notice I did not refer to you people as "liberals". You are not liberals. You would know liberty if it bit you in the ass.

Oh yeah, K street is not all that bad.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 6:07 PM

blah blah blah blah blah...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:27 PM
Hindrance to Development

I hate to interrupt this political love-fest, but this weekend on my way to the Crest I noticed that the Roos-Atkins building is nearing completion and has some nice lights along the new roof structure to highlight the building. Other than the pawn shop, which looks exactly as it did before the renovation, the building appears to be floating on a pane of glass, as it did when it was first built as a department store. The sidewalk in front of the Cosmopolitan is finally open again, allowing a close look at some of the work on the interior. It will be nice once that's open, it will add one more li'l hub of activity along K Street to join the Crest (at least when the TFO or other late-night action is going on) and Pyramid. If developers can bring some of that energy being spent in midtown into the downtown area, hopefully we can get some more late-night bright spots onto K Street until they start to link up and get the same sort of synergy that's happening right now ten blocks east at 20th and K.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 8:32 PM

Yeah, those eastern two corners are looking pretty good. I guess there is something to be said for adaptive reuse, huh?

Now, I'd prefer new, tall(er), residential or hotel projects get built on the western two corners, but for now, I am pleased.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area