HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 7:20 PM

It will be pretty massive, if you drive out there, the amount of land that is set aside is huge for the double bridge interchnage. Even on google maps you see the diamond shape they have and its way bigger than any other interchange we have.

On another note, someone in the winnipeg construction fourm there, linked an interhcnage in edmonton of the yellow head highway( not sure how to quote off another fourm), but i was thinking that specfic type of interchange could be used in regian in multiple locations. You could put one at all the intesections on lewvan drive towards highway #1 from sask drive and possiblly even vic east could utilize those types of interchanges at its many busy intersections.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
My suggestion would have been something similar to what Edmonton has with the Yellowhead Tr going through their city.

That's the part of the post Dougler306 was referring to. I doubt Regina has the cash for one of those babies, let alone a bunch. I'd be happy to see just one at Pasqua and Ring Road.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 9:58 PM

Regina West bypass

Haven't been out there since last year. Should be be coming along quite nicely.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...31063&t=h&z=14

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
Regina West bypass

Haven't been out there since last year. Should be be coming along quite nicely.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...31063&t=h&z=14
Curious, is the idea, eventually to make a By Pass like we have in Winnipeg? Reason I ask is North of the interchange you have on the map, seems to be a road to nowhere right now.

Would be great if they did, because the way your city is growing, it will burst its current system, that was made long ago. I remember coming into the city, and everything East of the by pass was farm land.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Curious, is the idea, eventually to make a By Pass like we have in Winnipeg? Reason I ask is North of the interchange you have on the map, seems to be a road to nowhere right now.

Would be great if they did, because the way your city is growing, it will burst its current system, that was made long ago. I remember coming into the city, and everything East of the by pass was farm land.

Pretty much.

http://www.regina.ca/opencms/export/...k_plan_map.pdf

This is a little out of date but pretty much shows what they have planned. The southern half will be farther south so it loops around to pinkie interchange instead of connecting to the current ring road in the east.

Saskatoon has a second ring road in the planning. Estavan and Yorkton have bypass's planned as well.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 12:30 AM

Found this tweet on the south regina bypass, first public consult.
http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/openhouse/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenant View Post
Found this tweet on the south regina bypass, first public consult.
http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/openhouse/
Great find! This is great news - would be nice to see some dirt turning in 2014 maybe?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:11 AM

South Regina Bypass

Thanks for posting this.
Various options for a south bypass are being considered that would run from Highway 33 (near tower road) and connect to Highway 1 at the west Regina bypass at Pinkie Road. Various options are being considered that are 1.5 to 5 miles south of the regina City Limits.

What is the logic of building a south bypass 5 miles south of the city? What was wrong with the old plan of extending No. 1 straight East and curving back around and north on Tower road? There is nothing but swamp south of the city. I'm grasping to understand this but maybe the plan is to trench drain the swamps and ponds like they did in Harbour Landing and use the dirt from the trenches for the bypass road and effectively make a large new area for development? I thought any type of south bypass was years off - like 50 years off? I guess I can only go to the open house to find out.

I will be watching when the provincial budget comes down for any announcement of funding but I would have much rather heard the word "EAST" used to describe the bypass as opposed to "South".

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
Great find! This is great news - would be nice to see some dirt turning in 2014 maybe?
Not to rain on anybody's parade, exciting news. But 2014 seems a little ambitious. In the posting at http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/openhouse/ it says this: "This will be the first Open House to introduce the study, collect public input on issues in the study area, and to introduce preliminary highway alignment options."

Makes me think it will be a while yet. Major decision to be made on the future of Regina. So some thought is well worth the wait.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 1:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Not to rain on anybody's parade, exciting news. But 2014 seems a little ambitious. In the posting at http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/openhouse/ it says this: "This will be the first Open House to introduce the study, collect public input on issues in the study area, and to introduce preliminary highway alignment options."

Makes me think it will be a while yet. Major decision to be made on the future of Regina. So some thought is well worth the wait.
It's good to see there is at least some movement this project. I have heard rumours for years now that it was bieng worked on behind the scenes, but no concrete evidence.

Maybe they should hire some Regina city councillors for this project, they seem to know how to ram projects through haphazardly. (Sorry I couldn't resist that one)kidding kidding

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenant View Post
It's good to see there is at least some movement this project. I have heard rumours for years now that it was bieng worked on behind the scenes, but no concrete evidence.
Absolutely agree...long overdue, but still welcomed with great anticipation, none the less.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:28 PM

Sounds like the first set of girders are going the Regina West Bypass or the Hwy 1 and Pinky Bridge overpass as I call it.

This site is prepped for two crossings but they are only doing one for now???

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:22 PM

^^^ Yes it is built for a double crossing and even a double Decker overpass, when the southeast bypass connects to it according to an AECOM report that was linked on the Regina construction form. It makes sense to do one bridge at a time, so you can have traffic traffic moving on one side well you work on the other bridge. Instead of both simultaneously and taking even longer to open. 1st phase is scheduled to open in late 2013

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
^^^ Yes it is built for a double crossing and even a double Decker overpass, when the southeast bypass connects to it according to an AECOM report that was linked on the Regina construction form. It makes sense to do one bridge at a time, so you can have traffic traffic moving on one side well you work on the other bridge. Instead of both simultaneously and taking even longer to open. 1st phase is scheduled to open in late 2013
Actually the AECOM report doesn't say that. It says when the WRP is extended south of Hwy 1 to meet and/or become the South bypass, that interchange will be upgraded to a three-level interchange.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:

The $ for total cost of the bypass will be massive so obviously it won't be budgeted in one year - rather look for incremental funding and announcements each year. Who knows when shovels will turn but the important aspect is $ budgeted - it will be interesting to see if this springs budget starts it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Actually the AECOM report doesn't say that. It says when the WRP is extended south of Hwy 1 to meet and/or become the South bypass, that interchange will be upgraded to a three-level interchange.
For those wondering how it will become a 3-level interchange. It will be two over-arching ramps from NB to WB and EB to NB with a speed of around 70-80km/h To facilitate speedy moment of trucks and eliminating a cloverleaf segment.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
For those wondering how it will become a 3-level interchange. It will be two over-arching ramps from NB to WB and EB to NB with a speed of around 70-80km/h To facilitate speedy moment of trucks and eliminating a cloverleaf segment.
Google image search stack interchange, pretty sweet.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Google image search stack interchange, pretty sweet.
From the design AECOM shows it will be similar to this kind of design

http://goo.gl/maps/7h9JR

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
From the design AECOM shows it will be similar to this kind of design

http://goo.gl/maps/7h9JR
Is that a new interchange? Two cloverleaf loops on the same side is a bad idea

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Is that a new interchange? Two cloverleaf loops on the same side is a bad idea
that is a bad design. the one at Stoney Trail and 16th ave is probably a better example.

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=51.067992...38581&t=h&z=15

A stack interchange would cost elephant dollars - calgary can't even afford one of those.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan