HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

350 Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Pittsburgh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:02 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I think Pittsburgh dodged a bullet with the re-hab of the historic building. The tower as it's currently designed just has awkward and wonky massing, and the architects should go back to the drawing board. After they go back and complete 3rd grade.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:09 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I think Pittsburgh dodged a bullet with the re-hab of the historic building. The tower as it's currently designed just has awkward and wonky massing, and the architects should go back to the drawing board. After they go back and complete 3rd grade.
It was actually a deisgn competition from a local kindergarten.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:13 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
the rendering of the skyscraper on Oxford's website is TONS better than the original ones
Where? I have yet to see any better renderings. You're not talking about the ones from this press release are you?

http://www.oxforddevelopment.com/news/press-releases/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Where? I have yet to see any better renderings. You're not talking about the ones from this press release are you?

http://www.oxforddevelopment.com/news/press-releases/

The one that is on page 1 of this thread

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:35 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
The one that is on page 1 of this thread
That is the original. You are confusing me.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 1:16 AM

Quote:
That is the original. You are confusing me.
haha, i consider the first post by Evergrey the official renderings and the screenshot from Oxford's website "new"

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:28 PM

According to this website, which puts the building between the Koppers building and two pnc building, it will be around 140 meters or 460 feet.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Not sure exactly where it would fit in here, but here's a view anyway...

zeising

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 3:51 AM

I don't mind the design. Definitely not my fav but I would still love to see this get built, especially given its location. Imagine this going up with the new PNC tower. The view from the south would be so nice and dense!

Any new news on this bad boy? Its not looking good I suppose.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:20 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

This may just be a first for me but I hope they don't build it, and just keep and renovate what is there. That is a great building!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 5:15 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

NYguy - You can't even see the location from that angle. Not sure what you were trying to show? Just random pics from Mt Washington you found??

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 11:23 PM

The deadline given by Oxford Development to announce if they will build the skyscraper or refurbish and redevelop the current building was said to be "by the end of the year" Well, they have six hours left! It was a self imposed deadline, so there won't really be any consequences from this delay other than us skyscraper and development enthusiasts having to wait and speculate some more. I suppose the lack of an announcement could be construed as good or bad news for the new tower which was Oxford's stated preference for the site. The bad news is obviously that there has been no new tower announced, but the good news is that since they are pushing past their deadline, perhaps they are still holding out hope for the anchor tenant to be found or even in the process of negotiating the lease with a prospective tenant.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 12:51 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
NYguy - You can't even see the location from that angle. Not sure what you were trying to show? Just random pics from Mt Washington you found??
I've been playing around with Google Earth. Actually, to reference the last of NYGuys's photos, this new building would cover up what I believe is Three Mellon Center, the building with the Citizens Bank logo on the roof, which I believe is 41 stories tall...

I also am waiting rather anxiously for further detail of this project...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:06 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Gila, yeah here is the article that stated they would choose by years end. http://www.cpexecutive.com/cities/pi...-by-years-end/
I'm speculating that they were hoping to have a tenant announcement by now if they were gonna build the tower which there has been no news at all concerning that. of course, the process of securing major tenants in a large building is generally pretty secretive and lenthy until the announcement so who knows; It could really go either way.

Once again, I would LOVE to see the new tower instead of the low rise rehab. I am NOT concerned at all about the MS Paint quality renderings because we all know they change several times before something is built. It would no doubt be modern and interesting by the time all is said and done.

Jonboy: Yeah, it would probably be partially visible from those angles, slightly to the RIGHT of the Citizens Tower:
Quote:

And the skylobby and street level look fine. Just ignore the rest of the design for now. Here I helped. LOL

The density of that block and the thought of two 500+ ft towers rising side by side makes me excited.

Last edited by Austinlee; Jan 1, 2013 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:12 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Gila, yeah here is the article that stated they would choose by years end. http://www.cpexecutive.com/cities/pi...-by-years-end/
I'm speculating that they were hoping to have a tenant announcement by now if they were gonna build the tower which there has been no news at all concerning that. of course, the process of securing major tenants in a large building is generally pretty secretive and lenthy until the announcement so who knows; It could really go either way.

Once again, I would LOVE to see the new tower instead of the low rise rehab. I am NOT concerned at all about the MS Paint quality renderings because we all know they change several times before something is built. It would no doubt be modern and interesting by the time all is said and done.

Jonboy: Yeah, it would probably be partially visible from those angles, slightly to the RIGHT of the Citizens Tower:

The density of that block and the thought of two 500+ ft towers rising side by side makes me excited.
I would love to see this new tower as well. You have no idea. Where else would you find two gargantuan buildings built side by side one another -- where else besides New York, Chicago, or any other large city with a vertically developed urban core anyway?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:47 PM

It would be cool to see two new towers being built almost back to back for sure.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 6:41 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
The deadline given by Oxford Development to announce if they will build the skyscraper or refurbish and redevelop the current building was said to be "by the end of the year" Well, they have six hours left! It was a self imposed deadline, so there won't really be any consequences from this delay other than us skyscraper and development enthusiasts having to wait and speculate some more. I suppose the lack of an announcement could be construed as good or bad news for the new tower which was Oxford's stated preference for the site. The bad news is obviously that there has been no new tower announced, but the good news is that since they are pushing past their deadline, perhaps they are still holding out hope for the anchor tenant to be found or even in the process of negotiating the lease with a prospective tenant.
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...velopment.html

Quote:
Oxford pushes back big development choice

Pittsburgh Business Times by Tim Schooley, Reporter
Date: Monday, January 7, 2013, 1:20pm EST

Oxford Development Co. has pushed back the time frame for deciding on whether to build a new office high-rise or renovate the building it owns at 441 Smithfield St.

After originally expecting to announce a decision by the end of 2012, Oxford CEO Steve Guy said the company now plans to make a final decision in the first quarter of 2013.

Guy said Oxford has opted to push back its decision after conferring with representatives for potential tenants of the project.

“We were asked to keep it open for the first quarter and we are doing that,” Guy said.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:37 PM

Okay, that sounds better than a no-go on the highrise.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:42 PM
Eurosceptic

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:44 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive