HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 6:28 PM

The biggest cluster of height u/c and proposed in Chicago is probably in Lakeshore East and Streeterville. Although the South Loop, River North, and the West Loop all have more projects, most are smaller in scale.

Photo by YoChicago - https://www.flickr.com/photos/yochicago1/ (tons of awesome stuff there)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotetrickster View Post
Don't forget SF's high rise construction activity is limited by Prop M. That severely restricts the number of high rises that will actually be permitted in a given year.
Actually, that's a minor factor. Prop. M applies only to large commercial buildings and much of the recent highrise activity is residential. As has been true since the measure was passed in the 1970s, very recently it looked like we had reached the Prop. M limits on commercial buildings and there would have to be a "beauty contest" to rule out some projects but it looks to me like we are on the verge of a cyclical downturn in commercial construction and that may happen for only a year or so or not at all. Meanwhile, residential highrises (all but one of those I can think of abuilding into next year) proceed without legislative restriction. In the current construction wave, possibly until now, Prop. M has been no factor at all because we have been using up years of banked Prop. M quotas from when there was little building.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 6:42 PM

^Prop M was passed in 1986.

While it's true that we haven't actually hit the cap in recent years because of banked space, we have probably seen a lot fewer proposals because of it. Additionally, we've seen a whole lot of activity (new mixed use, conversions, etc) that have been slotted at 49,999 sqft office, which...whadayaknow!?! is just below the 50,000 sqft amount that has to apply for prop M allotments.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 6:55 PM
Never Dell

Seattle passed a measure called CAP at roughly the same time. But the office space retrictions were temporary (10 years?) and had no effect since we overbuilt in the late 80s. The measure also dramatically lowered height limits in the core, but those have been gradually lifted by various council actions since then. The limits are still restrictive...we couldn't build the Columbia Center today, due to FAR limits for commercial space, and floorplate limits on residential if it went that way. And the increased heights come with massive fees that ensure that everything is expensive.

In the fringes of the CBD, one area was just rezoned from 500' to 550', with residential getting another 10%. A larger area was rezoned from 400' to 440' also with 10% more. We should start getting a lot of towers at 605' and 484' instead of the many 440' towers we've been getting, if I understand the new code correctly after not having read it. (Or 420' or so...the added 10% is amenities, architecture, and mechanical, and isn't always fully used.)

Outside greater Downtown, everything was downzoned in the 1960s I think...that's why we have a scattering of highrises from that era but nothing since. On the plus side, the University District was just upzoned in the last several weeks, and now three highrise apartments are planned.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:21 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
But most of them don't seem very tall by US standards. In Vancouver anyway, most seem to be 20-30 floors. Here, 40 is closer to the usual, at least in my city, and that is creeping up. And it seems much more common to put them in park-like settings rather than as part of a continuous street wall (which I much prefer for walkability in downtown areas).
Toronto is building lots of tall (40-80 floor) towers that are strengthening the streetwall by filling in gaps in the urban fabric and creating new canyons.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I love these stats threads. Give me a few minutes and I'll gather some CTBUH data...

Ps... this should probally not be in the high rise construction forum. City discussion...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 8:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

U.S. u/c 100m +. A to Z, alphabetical (cities). U/C and topped off/structurally T/O

The given being below 100m, its obviously much greater.

1 city by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

city 2 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

city 3 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

city 4 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

city 5 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Can Canadians play? City of Toronto has 146, not counting those in sight prep.
Thanks for posting, I was wondering what was Toronto's number. You've saved me looking it up. And like you allude, that number is only going to rise in the near future.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 11:10 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Moved thread to the section where it belongs.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
^Prop M was passed in 1986.

While it's true that we haven't actually hit the cap in recent years because of banked space, we have probably seen a lot fewer proposals because of it.
There are some who argue that Prop. M, over the years, has saved San Francisco from the type of overbuilding that causes rents to fall through the floor. While I have lived in SF for 35 years and didn't remember Prop.M being on the ballot in my time--in which case I would have vote against it (and perhaps did)--the fact is I really don't think it has been the disaster even I might have predicted. It's just there and SF has gotten the commercial development it needed to keep vacancies relatively low and commercial rents fairly high and stable.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
U.S. u/c 100m +. A to Z, alphabetical (cities). U/C and topped off/structurally T/O

The given being below 100m, its obviously much greater.
Several in SF missing from there (and not because some are still in the excavation phase because Oceanwide Center is that): 100 Folsom (aka the Jean Gang "twisty tower"), 500 Folsom, 350 Bush, CA-Pacific Medical Center come to mind.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 11:53 PM
The City

Edit

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:14 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

note the prevalence of reinforced concrete v steel construction...interesting.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:23 AM
Future God

That emporis list is inaccurate at worst, misleading at best. Memphis, love it as I do, definitely doesn't have eleven highrises under construction. It probably hasn't had eleven new highrises over the past decade. If you go through their list on the website, all the U/C buildings but one are low rise buildings under ten stories.

Nashville, on the other hand, is undercounted by pretty significant margin. I can think of at least 35 U/C highrises just off the top of my head.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
According to Emporis, cities with 10+ multistory projects under construction:

New York: 315
Chicago: 65
Houston: 52
Miami: 36
Minneapolis: 35
Denver: 34
Los Angeles: 32
Seattle: 32
Atlanta: 26
Boston: 16
Washington DC: 16
Dallas: 15
Austin: 14
Philadelphia: 12
San Diego: 12
San Francisco: 12
Memphis: 11
Las Vegas: 10
Nashville: 10

This is only within city limits, and doesn't include anything from the respective metros (Evanston, Miami Beach, Newark, etc.)
Jersey City should be on this list.

http://data.jerseycitynj.gov/dataset...ps-10.5.17.pdf

https://jerseydigs.com/all-jersey-city-development-map/

About 15 or so u/c

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:36 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

I counted 6 under construction in Hoboken, Ft Lee, Weehauken, and Edgewater per Emporis.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:43 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
That emporis list is inaccurate at worst, misleading at best. Memphis, love it as I do, definitely doesn't have eleven highrises under construction. It probably hasn't had eleven new highrises over the past decade. If you go through their list on the website, all the U/C buildings but one are low rise buildings under ten stories.

Nashville, on the other hand, is undercounted by pretty significant margin. I can think of at least 35 U/C highrises just off the top of my head.
35 highrises U/C for Nashville?

Come on. That would put it above Seattle and LA. I highly doubt that

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:00 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Why do you guys subject yourselves to emporis?? Just use skyscrapercenter, they're the best.

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/cities

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 2:24 AM
BANNED

NyC # 1

Chicago #2

Anyone further down the line are little of matters when it comes down to skyscrapers. Is this not a website called Skyscraper page already.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 3:12 AM
Never Dell

That project list above seems to have cut off the top of Seattle's list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions