HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 10:10 PM

The track and 360 Amphitheater are great for Austin. But Epstein seems like a slimeball.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The track and 360 Amphitheater are great for Austin. But Epstein seems like a slimeball.
The good folks in Columbus say the same thing about Precourt. They are two peas in a pod. Sport franchises are competitive on and off the field. Nothing wrong with that. But if Epstein is involved in any way with the paying of those people lying to the public, then calling him a slimeball is way too conservative.
Building an Amphitheater that's a tad on the small side and a soccer stadium that's appropriate for minor league soccer but very unimpressive, tucked away next to a purpose built F1 circuit, far, far away, he's obviously desperate to defend his investments. I believe as I'm sure he does, an MLS team and large stadium in Austin, (not Elroy) will hurt attendance at both those venues. I don't like his tactics or his arrogance as he seems to think he is the only one in Austin that's entitled to have a soccer team and a large concert venue and he's not even technically in Austin. Now if anyone in Elroy wants to compete with him.... And what's up with that other detractor from Bastrop?? If you are not in Austin, or set up in Austin, then STFU!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 5:21 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
The good folks in Columbus say the same thing about Precourt. They are two peas in a pod. Sport franchises are competitive on and off the field. Nothing wrong with that. But if Epstein is involved in any way with the paying of those people lying to the public, then calling him a slimeball is way too conservative.
Building an Amphitheater that's a tad on the small side and a soccer stadium that's appropriate for minor league soccer but very unimpressive, tucked away next to a purpose built F1 circuit, far, far away, he's obviously desperate to defend his investments. I believe as I'm sure he does, an MLS team and large stadium in Austin, (not Elroy) will hurt attendance at both those venues. I don't like his tactics or his arrogance as he seems to think he is the only one in Austin that's entitled to have a soccer team and a large concert venue and he's not even technically in Austin. Now if anyone in Elroy wants to compete with him.... And what's up with that other detractor from Bastrop?? If you are not in Austin, or set up in Austin, then STFU!
You make valid points. However, I believe people in CBus were indifferent with Precourt until he made his intentions to move the Crew to Austin public. Nobody (at least outside of CBus) has even heard of him before October 2017. And, he bought the operating rights to the team in 2013 (I believe).

Yes, Epstein is trying to save his ass. However, he should really give thanks to Tavo Hellmund and the $25+ million a year (plus local RE tax breaks) he is getting for "his" venture, otherwise COTA would not exist. He's a hypocrite to the nth degree.

As I understand it, he is pretty much known among the Austin wealthy/philanthropic community at a true slime-ball - but, most really like his wife - who, supposedly, is a really nice person. I just hope the public is made aware of his antics and this stupid petition is put to rest.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 5:05 PM

COTA's Epstein paid $50,000 for anti-MLS petitioners

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local...ls-petitioners

LOL at Epstein's PAC trying to make the case that the PSV lobbyist is doing something wrong or dishonest by calling out the dishonesty and deceptive tactics used by Epstein's canvassers.

Last edited by turn1; Nov 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 2:44 PM

Since we don't really have a Southeast Austin thread, dropping this little nug here:

Quote:
Today’s breaking news is the sale last week of a 278-acre tract near State Highways 71 and 130 to Zoho Corp., the India-based software company that appears gung-ho on Austin.

In early November I wrote about Zoho leasing 27,000 square feet of office space at Bergstrom Tech Center, 6800 Burleson Road. About that same time, the Austin American-Statesman published a story about the robust southeast Austin submarket and mentioned the Zoho deal as a 100-acre purchase.

But the deed filed at the Travis County Clerk’s office Jan. 9 shows the acquisition was nearly three times as large. The seller was Carr Family Partnership Ltd., which has owned the land since the 1994. For the prior decade, it was held in the name of Robert C. Carr.

The land was valued at just $678,961 for 2018 tax purposes, but the Travis Central Appraisal District shows the market value of the property at more than $3.6 million.

Located on the south side of Highway 71 east of the 130 toll road, the long rectangular tract is just west of NLand Surf Park, which also recently changed hands.

Zoho’s U.S. headquarters is currently in Pleasanton, Calif. A handful of brokers say Zoho may be planning to move its U.S. headquarters to Austin.
https://atxrealestatenews.com/2019/0...er-for-1-14-19

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Since we don't really have a Southeast Austin thread, dropping this little nug here:

https://atxrealestatenews.com/2019/0...er-for-1-14-19
I did some google research on this when the news came out in Nov about the 100 acre acquisition. It seems that the CEO is trying to develop a hardy strain of wheat to feed the world. I suspected at the time that the land acquisition was for farming experimental crops. Seemed more probable than locating a tech company that far southeast of Austin.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:37 PM

Oops.

Quote:
Circuit of the Americas is out at least $20 million in state funding after Gov. Greg Abbott’s office rejected the group’s annual application for reimbursement following the 2018 Formula One race at the track. Officials in the governor’s office said track representatives failed to meet the deadline for submitting a required anti-human trafficking plan as part of their reimbursement request.
https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...-state-funding

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe Epstein should stop wasting all his money fighting the MLS stadium then.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 11:08 PM

Whoa...

Error to cost COTA at least $20 million in state funding http://statesman.com/news/20190220/e...-state-funding

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:27 AM

Failed to meet the deadline for application for reimbursement of at least $20 mil. :
How does this happen? I suspect there is a job openning within the organization right about now.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 1:36 AM
Member since 2001

As it has already been stated...it those a-holes were not so concerned with the MLS stadium deal, they'd have their $20 million in incentives (to stay afloat) . Hypocrates! Karma is a huge bitch, isn't it dear Epstein. Hope you can bail water...your ship is sinking.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:05 AM

Unless there were some unexpected politics involved, that was one bad day at work for somebody at COTA. It'll be interesting to hear Epstein's spin on it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Unless there were some unexpected politics involved, that was one bad day at work for somebody at COTA. It'll be interesting to hear Epstein's spin on it.
E "yo, did you get that report into the Gov's office?".....TCP guy "yep, sure did"
E "whew, good.....that would have been a $25m screw up". TCP guy....checks job posting at Starbucks, and how to legally change his name.

Can't believe they dropped the ball on this. I can't imagine the Gov's office wanted a comprehensive plan to end human trafficking. Probably just needed a boilerplate "uh...we plan to train our staff to keep an eye out on creepy bastards" memo to staff. WTF?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I can't imagine the Gov's office wanted a comprehensive plan to end human trafficking. Probably just needed a boilerplate "uh...we plan to train our staff to keep an eye out on creepy bastards" memo to staff. WTF?
It's apparently a pretty big deal (the problem at least, I've no idea what CotA's contributions to preventing it are). Big international race brings in lots of prostitution.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
It's apparently a pretty big deal (the problem at least, I've no idea what CotA's contributions to preventing it are). Big international race brings in lots of prostitution.
Sure, I imagine it is. But what could COTA REALLY do to "prevent" it, ask each woman who walks in if she is is hookin? Problem is, rich people don't hire hookers that "look" like hookers. I bet it is all very discreet. Probably best to donate some money to the local organizations who already fight this fight. Damn, i bet E is pissed. That is a mega shit ton of $. I can't imagine making that big of a fuck up. In the end, it comes from the top down, it's really E's fault.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 5:55 PM
Resident Moron

All joking aside or (correctly) pointing out that Epstein is a jerk, if this sinks COTA is going to be really bad for Austin.

We know the governors office has been fighting this for a while and not wanting to meet the previously agreed to funding for the track, so this was probably a missed t crossing that they nailed them on.

I expect a lawsuit or negotiation to happen.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
As it has already been stated...it those a-holes were not so concerned with the MLS stadium deal, they'd have their $20 million in incentives (to stay afloat) . Hypocrates! Karma is a huge bitch, isn't it dear Epstein. Hope you can bail water...your ship is sinking.
AGREE. Love the fact that F1 is in Austin but Epstein can bite it. He doesn't care about Austin. Karma... IMO he straight up deserves this hit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That's why we need more hotels closer to the race track.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 4:17 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

My take on all this is he's a billionaire. He can spare to invest a mere 20 million dollars into his own track.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
My take on all this is he's a billionaire. He can spare to invest a mere 20 million dollars into his own track.
You hit the nail on the head. He is very rich, so he should pay his own way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin