HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 5:41 AM
World Traveler

Haha

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 6:14 AM

I happen to like this building. I can't hate on this particular project because of the parking garage situation. That's just the way it is until we get light rail and/or a lot more people living Downtown. Brandywine would not be able to lease enough space to justify building this if it didn't include parking.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 7:20 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Man, if the designers of this thing are reading this thread, then I hope they have a box of tissues next to their mouse.
This building is not fap-worthy.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 11:27 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I happen to like this building. I can't hate on this particular project because of the parking garage situation. That's just the way it is until we get light rail and/or a lot more people living Downtown. Brandywine would not be able to lease enough space to justify building this if it didn't include parking.
I get that parking is needed...but they could still do better than that.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 12:39 AM
Meh

Quote:
I don't hate it. I will say something bugs me about it. I guess I'm worried that it could go either way. I think this will be one of those projects that could turn out to be pretty slick, or it could be a disaster.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 2:27 AM

Quote:
I don't hate it. I will say something bugs me about it. I guess I'm worried that it could go either way. I think this will be one of those projects that could turn out to be pretty slick, or it could be a disaster.
I like the fact that the unfortunate but necessary parking levels are not "disguised" with glass panels like most new office buildings. There's a glass elevator and street level retail to soften the blow.
I just wish the glass cube on top was significantly taller to eliminate that 50/50 effect - 50% parking and 50% offices. Putting several parking levels underground would have also reduced the 50/50 effect as well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 2:34 AM

Edit removed

Last edited by the Genral; May 14, 2016 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:13 AM

Quote:
I like the fact that the unfortunate but necessary parking levels are not "disguised" with glass panels like most new office buildings. There's a glass elevator and street level retail to soften the blow.
I just wish the glass cube on top was significantly taller to eliminate that 50/50 effect - 50% parking and 50% offices. Putting several parking levels underground would have also reduced the 50/50 effect as well.
Wow, ATX you and I have identical views on this building. For me, I like the differentiation of the podium. I prefer this than totally encasing a garage with Windows (just feels weird to me). The elevator feature is also really cool. 100% agree the issue is the height of the abstract glass portion. Give me 5 levels of parking, and 24 office and I'm in love. (Also hate the blank wall BUT a different building may cover that one day anyway).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:33 AM

I agree with The General. A few minor adjustments to the parking garage will do wonders. Like if it was covered in all glass then I will support it, but as of now it's bad to say the least. It's like the designers were in a hurry and not care what the outcome would be.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I'd be ok with this design with just a few minor adjustments....bury the parking, and put 50 floors of completely redesigned office space above it. See...simple. Allowing this thing to be built as is would be like submerging one's genitals in liquid nitrogen. People in Waco would reject it. San Antonio would allow it only if it was built in Austin. Hell, the entire state of Texas would share the embarrassment of having this ugly scar erected on its beloved land. The Hilton Garden Inn would suddenly not be one of the ugliest buildings dt, and its architect would come out and declare he was right when he said that in time, an even uglier building would be built. This building is so damn ugly, they should be forced to provide tenants in the surrounding buildings cash so they can get out of their leases early and also pay their moving expenses so they won't have to look at it everyday. It should replace every description, picture, video of 'fail' and be an example at architectural based universities around the world as to how not to do it. It should be the catalyst that revives the old drug ad commercials that said, "This is your brain on drugs". It is the Ford Pinto, the AMC Pacer, the whoever made the Gremlin answers to the automobile, it is the Hot Pockets of the culinary world, the guy who farts in your car when its cold, windy and pouring outside, it stinks, if you didn't catch that one, (I actually did this once hehe). It is, unknown to most people, the 11th Commandment, of what thou shalt not do.
It most certainly will be a stop on the Duck and Segway tours to show tourist that Austin is desperate to remain weird by allowing comic book buildings to be built, and to also assure everyone that even though it may look like it, this is not the end product of millions of people with digestive issues, and though visually disturbing, it is not a bio hazard. Done. Thank you and good night...
OK. But I think the folks in Waco would love to see anything built Downtown. Their tallest and most visible Downtown building is what, 100 years old? As far as San Antonio goes, the powers that be there seem to hate every high-rise project the way it is originally proposed.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:47 AM

If this was the San Antonio forum every post after the renderings were first posted would have been deleted and several forumers would have been warned.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 8:49 AM
World Traveler

Haha, this has become one of the more entertaining threads...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 8:49 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
If this was the San Antonio forum every post after the renderings were first posted would have been deleted and several forumers would have been warned.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 11:55 PM
Meh

This building looks like Bart Simpson's outfit turned upside down.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:30 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
This building looks like Bart Simpson's outfit turned upside down.
For the win!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 1:20 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Done. Thank you and good night...
Drop the microphone. That was amazing. After reading that, I feel like the architects' fawning sycophant. Donald Trump shows infinitely more respect to Rosie O'Donnell. It was like a celebrity roast, but without all the flattery. Rodney Dangerfield realized that he gets respect. Triumph changed his job title to Unbiased Canine Observer. Don Rickles thinks you're cruel. Upon hearing that this project might be a stain on Austin's reputation, Bill Clinton immediately denied that it was his. Wendy Davis has declared her opposition to this form of abortion.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 3:41 AM

Removed

Last edited by the Genral; May 14, 2016 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Wow! Funny! We should team up and take our show on the road The world could use some cleverly phrased brutal honesty. If someone serves you a plate of shit for dinner and you eat it and say its delicious to spare their feelings, you're probably going to get a bowl of shit for dessert.
That would be so cool and fun to do. We can go to places that have the ugliest proposals planned and just be brutally honest while at the same time witty and funny.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 11:41 PM

Edit removed

Last edited by the Genral; May 14, 2016 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 11:43 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
I think that's key. Btw, we'd have enough uglies here unfortunately.
Are we talking buildings in Austin or posters on this forum??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin