HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:08 AM
Chancellor

I had nothing to do today so I took some pictures of developments around town, plus a few other things, and spoiler tags to serve as a space saver on your screen. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride if you can.

HARDWARE VILLAGE:

OTHER UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND RECENTLY COMPLETED APARTMENTS:

LOCATIONS OF PLANNED HIGHRISE PROJECTS:

MISCELLANEOUS:

Last edited by airhero; Yesterday at 3:37 PM. Reason: Toned down the sarcasm

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:54 AM

Nice photos Airhero! Thanks for posting them. There are also some nice infill apartments going in down 300w that I hope can change that area nicely. I sure hope the demand continues for housing downtown. Some of these giant projects make me a little nervous. I think I’m liking the smaller infill projects. They feel more urban and tucked away.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:54 AM

Airhero, as far as the LDS parking lot on north. I hear the area may be affected by line of site restrictions due to the temple, I may be wrong. If this is indeed the case I would like to see the church build a technology institute for downtown. Throw in some housing too. Maybe the city could work with the church and put in long anticipated world class recreation center. I’d like to see a large outdoor space for flag football, ultimate frisbee and other student activities , small concerts and gym related activities as well. If the city could assist somehow with the recreation center that would be a huge boon to the residential growth all around.

Just my thoughts on that space.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:29 AM

The space is slated for BYU-Salt Lake expansion and Student Housing for both BYU-SLC and LDSBC. LDSBC currently has some students at the Plaza Hotel.

Last I heard on any timeline was after Tower 8 and the Cascade. It is a different area that handles that but they generally use the same contractors and don't want to overwork. They can use the same staging area (NE Corner of 2nd West and South Temple) when the time comes to work on the block. I think it is planned to be the staging area for the Cascade first though.

I think 2025 to 2028 is the earliest we will see something happen on this block though unless there is a dramatic shift in enrollment/housing needs for either BYU-SLC or LDSBC.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:28 PM
Chancellor

^^^This is what has been rumored. I haven't heard any sourced information about it in probably a decade, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Nice photos Airhero! Thanks for posting them. There are also some nice infill apartments going in down 300w that I hope can change that area nicely. I sure hope the demand continues for housing downtown. Some of these giant projects make me a little nervous. I think I’m liking the smaller infill projects. They feel more urban and tucked away.
I feel the same way about these 6-7 story buildings with huge footprints, in particular the ones with a good amount of street frontage--especially those with poor interaction. Even the projects going through design review aren't looking so good, though I am sure the reviews have precipitated some improvements.

The smaller townhomes and even some of the smaller multifamily buildings going up are quite nice. Even when the design is nothing special, at least the buildings don't overwhelm. I really like how the granary area is developing.

As far as line of site restrictions go, I favor preserving view corridors of the temple from a few angles. That can be done while still building taller buildings. Over half of that block is in the D-1 Zone. I think a view corridor lined with structures would be far more interesting and enhancing to the temple than what we have currently. There's no reason to leave the whole block open. A plaza or two might be nice.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:30 PM

Thank you for infusing the forum with a much needed photo update!

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:40 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Here are some more photo updates of some of the hottest construction projects in down town Salt Lake

P.S. I got lazy and just took the photos on google map, but it basically looks the same as it did 5 years ago... It sure was an ahh inspiring experience though.

Old Posted Today, 12:00 AM

Inland port compromise with city. I saw a statement on KSL that 10% of the tax increment would go towards affordable housing. Is this specifically for SLC? Elaborate if you have good info

Thanks fellas

And gals?

Last edited by Utah_Dave; Today at 11:40 AM.

Old Posted Today, 10:42 AM

Thanks Airhero. Great updates!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West