HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:12 AM

Utah’s governor proposes taking gas tax money to pay for transit improvements

http://fox13now.com/2018/01/18/utahs...-improvements/

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY -- Tucked into the governor's annual budget recommendations is a proposal to dip into funds normally earmarked for road repairs to pay for improvements to mass transit.

Gov. Gary Herbert said it's one of his recommendations to help address Utah's continual air quality problems.

"We’ve kind of been locked in that it can only be asphalt and roads. That’s certainly going to be a significant part of the reason we have gasoline tax. But clearly, mass transit and transit is a growing part of what we’re going to need particularly along the Wasatch Front," he told FOX 13 recently. "And we ought to have the ability, the legislation to prioritize where we get the best return for the taxpayer’s dollar."
I do like this idea. Use some funds to improve transit but also make it cheaper or remove the fares completely. Doing this will improve the air quality.

I think this in conjunction with a 0.25% sales tax increase for transit would be good. It would allow for extending Trax, upgrading FrontRunner, BRT lines and bus route expansions/frequencies.

The odds are stacked against this proposal from UDoT through local communities that want the money for roads but I do like that there is now talk about working to improve transit coming from the State.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:44 PM

Herbert is capable of coming to some sense if he's continually beat over the head with the necessity of something.

This in combination with the proposed UTA restructuring will hopefully lead to improvements in frequency and hours of transit service, and expedited production of BRT and potential light rail (though I'm not sure if there's any solid proposals for more light rail atm).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:16 AM

This is good news. I'm glad there are so many ideas getting thrown around about how to pay for/fix transit. I hope some of these materialize into actions and really funding for transit.
I know I for one wouldn't mind making transit fares free with the gas tax helping offset the cost!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:47 AM

So I've been thinking about transit to Tooele again. Not a super high priority, but I think there needs to be a plan in place so that we don't go making it harder for ourselves later on.

For example, there is a neat abandoned railroad Right-Of-Way between Salt Lake Central Station and the Jordan River. This is being considered for something called the Folsom Trail, which wants to use the entire corridor for a trail and landscaping.

Current:

Proposed:

Normally I would be totally in love with this idea. But in this case, I think they also need to leave room for two transit tracks as well. Here is why:

1) We all known Tooele is going to increase in population.
2) Tooele has been very loyal to transit, voting for higher service from UTA when even Salt Lake and Utah Counties voted against it.
3) There are railroad tracks that go from Tooele right into downtown Salt Lake City.

Even if Tooele won't ever be large enough to justify a fully built-out commuter rail system like FrontRunner, there are still ways to run trains to Tooele that make sense. I propose something like Austin's MetroRail, Oceanside's Sprinter, or Denton County Texas' A-Train. These are rail lines that are sort of 'light commuter rail,' using Diesel Multiple Units rather than locomotives and cars to handle lighter loads than a heavy commuter train, but still traveling farther and making fewer stops than light rail.

I propose a line from Salt Lake Central Station to Tooele, starting on the west side of the tracks:

From here it will head north and squeeze between the freight track and I-15. From there, it will travel down the abandoned ROW being eyed by the Folsom corridor:

As you can see, the existing freight tracks are about a block north, but unfortunately they have no extra space beside them for a new transit line. Many buildings would need to be torn down and many more parcels would need to be acquired in order to make room for two new tracks. What's worse, is that if the Folsom corridor gets built as planned, these buildings will probably be torn down anyway and new housing built beside it, and these new apartments will almost certainly not leave space for a transit line.

There's also one more thing. After traveling along the abandoned ROW, the two new transit tracks will be perfectly lined up to cross over the existing freight tracks in a flyover bridge. The bridge will be steep, but Diesel Multiple Units can climb surprisingly tough stuff; I've done the math, a bridge like this one will work:

From there the line will go out to Tooele, a distance of 33 miles, making these stops:
  • Salt Lake Central
  • Airport Connector
  • 5600 West
  • Saltair (probably an infill station for later)
  • Lake Point
  • Bates Canyon Road
  • Tooele Main Street

The complete map would look like this:

A link to the google map for those who are more interested:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I2...nm&usp=sharing

This is pretty far-out still, I think, since I haven't heard anyone discussing a Tooele rail line in a while. But as I said before, it is really important that we have a plan for these things so that we don't go filling up all the available ROW's with nature before we know if we need them for transit or not.
I'm not against the Folsom Trail, I just think there is room for a trail, some landscaping, and transit, just like the S-Line, or the TRAX Draper extension:

To finish, here are some pictures of the Sprinter Line:

This is totally something that we should do.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:11 PM

Hatman,

I like the idea, but what about using LRT. It could be double tracked along the trail out to say where your airport connector station is. The line would just be double tracked between the Airport Connector and Central Station.

This could allow for say 15 minute frequencies along the trail (allowing for increased density. It would allow double tracking at other stations and selective double tracking between the stations.

This will allow for improved transit as density and ridership increases. While the costs may be higher, I don't think they would be significantly higher for LRT than Commuter Rail light along the same route.

With LRT, I would add a stations at 9th West, 12th West and Redwood Road. This way it doesn't fully duplicate the station layout along North Temple. These additional stations could be added during construction or later, paid for by SLC as density increases.

The 15 minute frequencies I think would increase ridership along the line while also encouraging higher density TODs than commuter rail would. Lake Point and Salt Air are the 2 areas that large TODs could probably work and have a lot of interest.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 6:01 PM

Great idea Hatman!
If the state finds a way to increase transit funding maybe something like this could happen. It would be a shame to let that ROW go to waste.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
what about using LRT
I like the way you think big picture. Yes, I think eventually a line like this would need to be upgraded to LRT-level infrastructure and service, but I think this could be done incrementally, like FrontRunner getting upgraded from single-track and reliant on diesel locomotives to becoming double-tracked and electrified.

I based my initial idea for a 'light commuter rail' off of the following systems:
All of these lines operate a DMU on a mostly single-track line but at frequencies approaching that of LRT, at least a peak periods. It gets really confusing because things like the SPRINTER are classified as a 'diesel light rail', whereas the MetroRail are classified as 'commuter rail.' So I decided to call it a 'light commuter rail' because it would be intended for longer trips than light rail, the vehicles would need to travel faster than light rail (79 mph vs 55 mph) and could feature all the commuter benefits (Wifi, bike racks, restrooms), but the vehicles would also be smaller than a FrontRunner consist because they would obviously be carrying less people.

I think also like FrontRunner, the new system would have two tracks in the downtown areas from the outset, but would use mostly single-track operation for the rest of the way, with the infrastructure constructed so as to allow a second track to be built in later phases.

All told, this could cost very similar to the proposed $300-something million that the proposed Oquirrh connector road would cost. That project is being seriously considered because of the limited transportation options between Tooele and Salt Lake Counties; if I-80 is closed due to bad weather, there isn't another way around except to go all the way south of the mountains, which adds at least 100+ miles to the journey. A train would also be affected by weather, but not nearly so much; I-80 is often closed because of the danger to Semi trailers exposed to windy conditions, which wouldn't affect the rail line at all.

Again, I don't think there is an urgent need to build something like this right now, but I do think there is an urgent need right now to plan for an eventual system like this. It would be a complete tragedy to lose the right-of-way that is so available.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 6:09 AM

I'm more interested in going the other direction.

SL Central
Sugarhouse
Kimball Junction
Park City
Heber
Orem
Vineyard

Beyond the ski resorts there are twice as many people in Summit/Wasatch as there are in Tooele. Most scenic commuter rail in the nation?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 6:30 AM

Is there room for a rail line up Parley's Canyon without some more dynamite?

I think a Park City commuter line would be fantastic, especially popular during the winter and a great asset to skiers and tourists, but is it...really feasible?? Especially since the most effective route would be a straight shot from the airport to Park City (with stops maybe downtown and Sugarhouse).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:29 PM

Even though the bulk of the article is regarding the Point of the Mountain, there are some transit specific items that are included in the plan:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...-panel-agreed/

The public wants better roads and transit, a research facility, denser housing and lots of open space at the Point of the Mountain. A state panel agreed.

Quote:
mong specific transportation proposals are a new north-south main road from Bangerter Highway in Draper to 2100 North in Lehi that will relieve traffic bottlenecks through the area on I-15, as well as new east-west roadways and bridges. Plans also call for extending and expanding TRAX and FrontRunner rail service and bus service to the area. As envisioned under that proposal, nearly seven out of 10 households in the area could be within half a mile of transit and FrontRunner daily ridership could quadruple.
The bolded part above isn't really referenced on how in the Tribune article, but the Deseret News has the following:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...velopment.html

Quote:
Numerous new roadways, including a westside multi-lane freeway through south Salt Lake County and north Utah County, multiple east-west connectors through the area and key transit expansions, including taking the TRAX Blue Line from its current terminus at Draper Town Center westward across the freeway to the Draper Prison site are all potential new transportation additions under the plan. It also includes the novel proposal to make the entire UTA system free-fare, which the commission said could expand ridership exponentially and preclude the necessity to invest even more in new transit infrastructure.
One of the items not mentioned in the articles is that FrontRunner would be double tracked and electrified to allow for 15 minute frequencies. This would more than double ridership and we saw that Free Transit nearly doubled ridership on FrontRunner as well.

The one negative I see is that they want the Blue line to go through the development which will cost a lot more than allowing the Blue line to continue on the UTA ROW into Lehi.

They would be better off extending the Red line through the area and having it connect to the Blue line where they have the Blue line moving west.

I am interested to see if there is a lot of traction in the Legislature to make UTA free. While it could be costly, I know they are going to reorganize UTA in some fashion and I think this would be a perfect addition to it.

Make UTA free and bring in the 0.25% sales tax increase to allow UTA to expand capacity and service levels. Then use a portion of the gas tax to begin expanding BRT, Trax and FrontRunner.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
I'm more interested in going the other direction.
[...]
Beyond the ski resorts there are twice as many people in Summit/Wasatch as there are in Tooele. Most scenic commuter rail in the nation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Is there room for a rail line up Parley's Canyon without some more dynamite?

I think a Park City commuter line would be fantastic, especially popular during the winter and a great asset to skiers and tourists, but is it...really feasible?? Especially since the most effective route would be a straight shot from the airport to Park City (with stops maybe downtown and Sugarhouse).
These are good thoughts. My thoughts are

1) this line would be far more ambitious and expensive than the Tooele direction, since there is no longer a viable railroad ROW to follow. (There once was a narrow-gauge line, and it would have been absolutely fantastic as a tourist line, but it would have been far too slow for commuting - link to it here and here.)

2) It would also have greater utility than the Tooele direction, since as you say there is a higher population and tourist demand in that direction. Also, similar to the bad weather that closes I-80 around Lake Point, Parley's Canyon can become a choke point in bad weather for reasons that wouldn't bother rail transit as much. Imagine if I-80 was closed and the trains kept running!

3) It is very possible to build, it would just take money. The eBART line that inspired me to think of 'light commuter rail' out to Tooele is built entirely within the median of a freeway (California State Highway 4); I imagine such a thing could easily be done in Parley's canyon as well.

Hypothetically, let's say the UTA reform bills pass and all new transit infrastructure is funded, built, and owned by UDOT but operated by the UTA. This simplifies the process a lot, since any rebuild of I-80 with train tracks down the middle would be done under one agency and under one funding source. Then let's say that UDOT gets serious about rebuilding all its freeways to concrete construction, as they are doing up and down the i-15 corridor. I-80 would need to be totally rebuilt - like CORE in Utah County some years ago, which would be the perfect time to add tracks down the middle.
From Kimball's Junction the transit line would run down the middle or side of SR-224 pasty the Canyons resort and into Park City. The line could end at their very amazing Old Town Transit Center.

I think there is a possibility of this being built - but so many things would have to fall miraculously into place. First and foremost, I think, will be getting transit fares to be free so that there is an enormous demand for this type of thing, since without demand there won't be any reason to plan for more and better transit.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Even though the bulk of the article is regarding the Point of the Mountain, there are some transit specific items that are included in the plan:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...-panel-agreed/

The public wants better roads and transit, a research facility, denser housing and lots of open space at the Point of the Mountain. A state panel agreed.

The bolded part above isn't really referenced on how in the Tribune article, but the Deseret News has the following:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...velopment.html

One of the items not mentioned in the articles is that FrontRunner would be double tracked and electrified to allow for 15 minute frequencies. This would more than double ridership and we saw that Free Transit nearly doubled ridership on FrontRunner as well.

The one negative I see is that they want the Blue line to go through the development which will cost a lot more than allowing the Blue line to continue on the UTA ROW into Lehi.

They would be better off extending the Red line through the area and having it connect to the Blue line where they have the Blue line moving west.

I am interested to see if there is a lot of traction in the Legislature to make UTA free. While it could be costly, I know they are going to reorganize UTA in some fashion and I think this would be a perfect addition to it.

Make UTA free and bring in the 0.25% sales tax increase to allow UTA to expand capacity and service levels. Then use a portion of the gas tax to begin expanding BRT, Trax and FrontRunner.
This post made me very very happy. Thanks for posting these articles.
And I absolutely agree - the Blue Line aught to extend to Lehi, not to the prison site. The prison site deserves at best a BRT line between the Draper FrontRunner station and a future TRAX stop along the Lehi extension.

But I'm all for using more funding on transit, and I'm all for using that funding to make transit free. It makes me very hopeful that these things are being discussed. If not this year, then soon, since ideas don't go away if we keep pushing them.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:32 PM

As far as a Park City line goes, I've started work on expanding my google-map of the Tooele line to include three other branches. The link is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1an...XJ&usp=sharing

The idea is that there will be a secondary commuter rail system that forms an X, with Salt Lake Central Station being at the center. Tooele is one leg, the Airport is another. Park city is the third, and the Cottonwood Canyons are is the fourth (not actually going into the canyons, but to the mouth of the canyons where I-215 interchanges with 6200 South).

In the public version of this map can you turn on and off layers? I need that question answered before I proceed with drawing more of the map. It's fun to do, but if I can't share it in a way that others will be able to use, I need to come up with a new way to create hypothetical transit routes.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
As far as a Park City line goes, I've started work on expanding my google-map of the Tooele line to include three other branches. The link is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1an...XJ&usp=sharing

The idea is that there will be a secondary commuter rail system that forms an X, with Salt Lake Central Station being at the center. Tooele is one leg, the Airport is another. Park city is the third, and the Cottonwood Canyons are is the fourth (not actually going into the canyons, but to the mouth of the canyons where I-215 interchanges with 6200 South).

In the public version of this map can you turn on and off layers? I need that question answered before I proceed with drawing more of the map. It's fun to do, but if I can't share it in a way that others will be able to use, I need to come up with a new way to create hypothetical transit routes.
This is what I see with your link:

I can use the check boxes in the left side menu to toggle different lines on and off. Great work!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:21 PM

So it seems like Salt Lake City is getting serious about the 2030 Olympic games:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/S...t-12516539.php
And it sounds like the US bid for that year is very likely to win. So the big hurtle seems to be getting selected by the US Olympic committee over other cities such as Denver and Reno-Tahoe. The Salt Lake Tribune helpfully created this table to compare these cities:
Quote:
A look at Salt Lake City, Denver and Reno-Tahoe, by the numbers:

DENVER

Hotel rooms • 45,000

Distance to Beaver Creek Ski Resort • 108 miles

Area ski resorts • More than a dozen resorts, including Winter Park, Vail Mountain and Beaver Creek, lie within a two-hour drive from Denver.

Needed venues and projects for bid • Bobsled and luge track; widening of Interstate 70 to resorts

RENO-TAHOE

Downtown hotel rooms • 5,000

Distance to Lake Tahoe • 35 miles

Distance to Sacramento • 131 miles

Lake Tahoe resorts • Squaw Valley, Heavenly, Boreal, Diamond Peak, Alpine Meadows and 10 others

Needed venues and projects for bid • Bobsled, skeleton and luge track, ski jumping hill and indoor skating venue

SALT LAKE CITY

Hotel rooms • 17,000

Distance to Park City • 33 miles

Ski resorts • Deer Valley, Park City Mountain Resort, Snowbasin and Soldier Hollow all hosted events in 2002. Recently, Salt Lake Olympic officials have said they have received interest from some resorts in the Cottonwood canyons about potentially hosting future Olympic events.

Needed venues and projects for bid • Venues need $39 million in upgrades over the next 10 years to be ready to host another Olympic games, according to a recent legislative audit
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/1...-strong-cases/

I thought I would make my own table that is more transit-specific:

Denver:
Airport to Downtown - 38 minutes
Downtown Circulator - Yes
Downtown Transit Hub - World Class

Salt Lake City:
Airport to Downtown - 22 minutes
Downtown Circulator - No
Downtown Transit Hub - Crap

... which is to show that our emphasis in Utah has been more regional. FrontRunner is amazing already by most transportation metrics, and it's only going to get better by 2030. But very little emphasis has been placed on transit in downtown Salt Lake City, which hasn't gone unnoticed (remember Jackie Biskupski's proposal to have SLC run its own local buses? Based on current funding structures, it isn't as silly an idea as many people said).

So before 2030 arrives, I would like to see 3 things happen to rail transit downtown:

1) 4th South TRAX line
2) 4th West TRAX/Streetcar line
3) Improvements to Salt Lake Central Station.

The 4th South TRAX line would create the ability to run a circulator route as well as running trains directly from Salt Lake Central straight to the University and the Stadium. The 4th West TRAX line would help revitalize a neglected part of town as well as giving TRAX a 'back door' to downtown should anything cause delays between the Ballpark and Courthouse stations.

Most importantly would be improvements to Salt Lake Central Station. I think the city should put this facility under control of a separate governing board, just like the airport has its own council. Some improvements this committee would help oversee would be:
  • A proper station building (called a 'head house' in railroad station lingo). A nice place to have a waiting room, restrooms, ticketing (hopefully just for long-distance trains like Amtrak!) and information on the transit system as a whole, like routes and schedules. Salt Lake City already has a track record of getting architecturally unique and landmark buildings - like the main library - and I trust that this new head house would be similar.
  • Wider platforms. This will be surprisingly easy, as there is space for both TRAX and FrontRunner platforms to be widened to at least 35 feet wide, which is the same width as the North Temple station platform. This will alleviate a lot of the crowding issues that occur at busy times.
  • Grade-separated platform connections. No more crosswalks over the railroad tracks. If FrontRunner and TRAX are going to be as busy as projected, we cannot have pedestrians and trains crossing paths. Someone will get run over.
  • A new Amtrak platform. The current platform is great for Amtrak, but terrible for every other type of equipment. They currently use a platform height of 15 inches, which means level boarding for the Amtrak bi-level cars (very convenient), but no other operator uses that unique height. That means no other special events trains can stop at Salt Lake Central Station. I propose a new platform that has the 15" height on one side, but the more typical 8" platform height on the other side so that many types of trains can stop at our new great train station.
  • Layover Yards. By placing yard tracks nearby the station, FrontRunner and TRAX trains can enter and leave service from Salt Lake Central very quickly. If a FrontRunner train is delayed arriving at the station and passengers are queuing up, no worries! Just get another train out of the yard and get back on schedule!

So I've been fiddling with these ideas, and they were actually surprisingly easy to implement.
I've created a Google map to show my thoughts:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W2...wa&usp=sharing

This shows a basic idea of what the footprint of wider stations (tan), a new Amtrak Platform (also tan, far left), new stairs, escalators, and elevators between platforms (pink), and the new head-house (white and gray), and new layover yards (red and red-orange) would be. It all fits very well.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
This is what I see with your link:

I can use the check boxes in the left side menu to toggle different lines on and off. Great work!
Thanks!
That is encouraging. Like I said, it isn't finished yet, but I'll keep adding to it as I have time. I'm doing my best to be thorough and make the most plausible rail lines I can, not just imagining tunnels everywhere.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:03 PM

Just a comment, but what is the likelihood of UTA/UDOT negotiating with Union Pacific to shift their tracks? It would certainly make some things easier and more convenient to have all the plantforms shared and located together, and is also required in many areas along the Wasatch front in order to double track front runner.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
So it seems like Salt Lake City is getting serious about the 2030 Olympic games:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/S...t-12516539.php
And it sounds like the US bid for that year is very likely to win. So the big hurtle seems to be getting selected by the US Olympic committee over other cities such as Denver and Reno-Tahoe. The Salt Lake Tribune helpfully created this table to compare these cities:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/1...-strong-cases/

I thought I would make my own table that is more transit-specific:

Denver:
Airport to Downtown - 38 minutes
Downtown Circulator - Yes
Downtown Transit Hub - World Class

Salt Lake City:
Airport to Downtown - 22 minutes
Downtown Circulator - No
Downtown Transit Hub - Crap

... which is to show that our emphasis in Utah has been more regional. FrontRunner is amazing already by most transportation metrics, and it's only going to get better by 2030. But very little emphasis has been placed on transit in downtown Salt Lake City, which hasn't gone unnoticed (remember Jackie Biskupski's proposal to have SLC run its own local buses? Based on current funding structures, it isn't as silly an idea as many people said).

So before 2030 arrives, I would like to see 3 things happen to rail transit downtown:

1) 4th South TRAX line
2) 4th West TRAX/Streetcar line
3) Improvements to Salt Lake Central Station.

The 4th South TRAX line would create the ability to run a circulator route as well as running trains directly from Salt Lake Central straight to the University and the Stadium. The 4th West TRAX line would help revitalize a neglected part of town as well as giving TRAX a 'back door' to downtown should anything cause delays between the Ballpark and Courthouse stations.

Most importantly would be improvements to Salt Lake Central Station. I think the city should put this facility under control of a separate governing board, just like the airport has its own council. Some improvements this committee would help oversee would be:
  • A proper station building (called a 'head house' in railroad station lingo). A nice place to have a waiting room, restrooms, ticketing (hopefully just for long-distance trains like Amtrak!) and information on the transit system as a whole, like routes and schedules. Salt Lake City already has a track record of getting architecturally unique and landmark buildings - like the main library - and I trust that this new head house would be similar.
  • Wider platforms. This will be surprisingly easy, as there is space for both TRAX and FrontRunner platforms to be widened to at least 35 feet wide, which is the same width as the North Temple station platform. This will alleviate a lot of the crowding issues that occur at busy times.
  • Grade-separated platform connections. No more crosswalks over the railroad tracks. If FrontRunner and TRAX are going to be as busy as projected, we cannot have pedestrians and trains crossing paths. Someone will get run over.
  • A new Amtrak platform. The current platform is great for Amtrak, but terrible for every other type of equipment. They currently use a platform height of 15 inches, which means level boarding for the Amtrak bi-level cars (very convenient), but no other operator uses that unique height. That means no other special events trains can stop at Salt Lake Central Station. I propose a new platform that has the 15" height on one side, but the more typical 8" platform height on the other side so that many types of trains can stop at our new great train station.
  • Layover Yards. By placing yard tracks nearby the station, FrontRunner and TRAX trains can enter and leave service from Salt Lake Central very quickly. If a FrontRunner train is delayed arriving at the station and passengers are queuing up, no worries! Just get another train out of the yard and get back on schedule!

So I've been fiddling with these ideas, and they were actually surprisingly easy to implement.
I've created a Google map to show my thoughts:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W2...wa&usp=sharing

This shows a basic idea of what the footprint of wider stations (tan), a new Amtrak Platform (also tan, far left), new stairs, escalators, and elevators between platforms (pink), and the new head-house (white and gray), and new layover yards (red and red-orange) would be. It all fits very well.

Thoughts?
to the west

~20 feet of landscaping/parking for row preservation
new roadway
office buildings

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Just a comment, but what is the likelihood of UTA/UDOT negotiating with Union Pacific to shift their tracks? It would certainly make some things easier and more convenient to have all the plantforms shared and located together, and is also required in many areas along the Wasatch front in order to double track front runner.
~1800 south to the Jordan River

Could that accommodate Union Pacific's needs enough to eliminate their line between 200 and 400 S? Sweeten the deal by giving them a portion of Glendale golf course next to the line.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:39 AM

I wonder if the USOC will select SLC's bid to ensure that they can stray from the reputation they've gained in creating financial failures. I know they came under fire for Sochi which costed an estimated $50bn and the venues and labor malpractices in Rio. The next three Olympics are going to be held in East Asia, which are typically expensive places to build in and host an event, all of them except Pyeongchang to some extent being in expensive metropolitan areas - Pyeongchang, Tokyo, Beijing. 2024 and 2028 are being undertaken by Paris and Los Angeles which will require massive infrastructure investments on their own part. Maybe the continued pressure they are inevitably going to receive to reduce costs might push them towards SLC? I would imagine that Denver has a pretty good shot too, but I-70, the lack of venues like the speedskating rink, and the distance to the resorts aren't attractive in reference to each other. SLC has an Olympic legacy which might draw people back, and I know that the last olympics were a success financially (save the bribery). But I know there is a lot of public resentment towards the Olympics here, both in cost and natural utahn cynicism.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West