HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
On one level, yes, it's a lot of land with office space ready to use. On the other hand, it's far from the airport. I guess technically with Amazon's limits, but far nonetheless.

Also, transit? I'm for presenting all options, but this one is pretty uneven.
My feeling based on the RFP is they would generally prefer a more urban location, but they are also somewhat cost conscious. So while my guess is something like ALMONO would always trump something like this site, I could be surprised.

Random aside on transit: extending the East Busway to Monroeville, which I understand is still being discussed favorably at the SPC, would really help address the access/transit problem in that area.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 6:38 PM

The group coordinating the Amazon pitch got 20 total proposals, but they are keeping them confidential:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201709280167

I'm not sure how competitive all of them really might be, but at least that is a strong expression of local interest, and again a lot of those sites might benefit if Amazon chose anywhere in Pittsburgh.

As an aside, I am really curious about Buncher. I haven't seen them mentioned in the rumors, but that doesn't mean they aren't on this list.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:43 PM

Who is Buncher?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:49 PM

From that article about Monroeville bidding for amazon h2q:
Quote:
“It's an annoyance, but there were a lot of other people that did it. That's just part of Pittsburgh – you can't get away from it. So if Amazon locates in Pittsburgh, any direction they go, they're going to run into traffic. It's just life here,” Elms said.
I think he's missing the concept behind the requirement for transit. This isn't surprising coming from an elderly suburbanite who spent his career commuting long distance by car. He probably honestly believes that traffic is a fact of life; that there is absolutely no way to live life without traffic being a headache.

However that isn't Amazon's perspective. They realize it is possible to commute to work without driving. Hence the requirement for access to transit. Also, note their current preference for company offices in downtown Seattle. In that area, more commuters take transit than drive automobiles. (https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/as-jobs-grow-in-downtown-seattle-workers-turn-more-to-transit/)

In my opinion, if Amazon chooses something like the Almono site, density will skyrocket in the surrounding neighborhoods and a good percentage of people will not have to drive to work. Certainly many will still drive but I don't think Amazon is looking for a suburban office park. It is honestly surprising that Monroeville is bothering to put together a proposal.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
I think he's missing the concept behind the requirement for transit. This isn't surprising coming from an elderly suburbanite who spent his career commuting long distance by car. He probably honestly believes that traffic is a fact of life; that there is absolutely no way to live life without traffic being a headache.
Totally. I would imagine that the officials actually presenting these plans will do a reasonable job filtering out the noise from the real proposals. Monroeville is 100% pure noise unless it includes a direct connect to new rapid transit. Even then, still noise.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Who is Buncher?
A family business, since with a lot of ownership conveyed to foundations, which owns a lot of land in the Strip and just across the river from the Strip:

http://www.buncher.com/

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/re...s/201302030393

They started off running scrapyards, picked up a lot of land when the railroads were downsizing, and then basically have been landbanking some of that land for decades, paying the bills with parking lots. In recent years they have started to develop some of their land, but they have a lot more left.

Last edited by BrianTH; Sep 28, 2017 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
It is honestly surprising that Monroeville is bothering to put together a proposal.
I'm sure part of it is politicians just trying to make it look like they are trying.

That said, this is cheap publicity for sites which might eventually find a different user, even if Amazon itself is implausible.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
My feeling based on the RFP is they would generally prefer a more urban location, but they are also somewhat cost conscious. So while my guess is something like ALMONO would always trump something like this site, I could be surprised.

Random aside on transit: extending the East Busway to Monroeville, which I understand is still being discussed favorably at the SPC, would really help address the access/transit problem in that area.
I actually think the East Busway extension being rumbled about at the SPC would only be to East Pittsburgh - primarily to terminate with a park and ride at the Mon-Fayette Expressway. At least that's what was talked about a few months ago during the whole MFE kerfuffle. While it should absolutely be extended to Monroeville as soon as possible, any extension of the Busway makes the MFE debacle a small bit easier to swallow.

To the larger point, I can't see any way that the Westinghouse site is able to put together a compelling proposal. I think the Southside collection of parcels is really interesting, and combined with the nearly shovel-ready/flagship site at the Civic Arena, I think it could be a very compelling proposal that would check off nearly every box that Amazon could ask for site-wise.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:43 PM

I'm glad Monroeville put forth that proposal for no other reason than it is one more varying option out of many available to Amazon. They are the ones who will chose the site, not local politicians as stated in the video linked below.

The completed Southern Beltway and final leg of the MFE will put the airport within 45 minutes even during rush hour and as stated the East Busway can be extended to link up with the MFE.

Some renderings of the Parkway Center Mall proposal in this video:
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...ion-proposals/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contellus View Post
I actually think the East Busway extension being rumbled about at the SPC would only be to East Pittsburgh - primarily to terminate with a park and ride at the Mon-Fayette Expressway. At least that's what was talked about a few months ago during the whole MFE kerfuffle.
Yeah, that is the current plan. I'm still hoping the MFE gets killed and the Busway extension survives in longer form. But that vision, at least if buses could use the MFE, would still be very good for transit in that area.

Of course none of this is happening soon enough to be relevant to Amazon.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 11:30 AM

Penn Brewery is opening a satellite taproom on First Avenue, in the former Graphic Arts building which is now lofts:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...wn-later-year/

This is another significant step in the revitalization of a once-sleepy corner of Downtown, which is also adding hotels and residences.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:18 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A family business, since with a lot of ownership conveyed to foundations, which owns a lot of land in the Strip and just across the river from the Strip:

http://www.buncher.com/

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/re...s/201302030393

They started off running scrapyards, picked up a lot of land when the railroads were downsizing, and then basically have been landbanking some of that land for decades, paying the bills with parking lots. In recent years they have started to develop some of their land, but they have a lot more left.
Excellent description, BTW.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Excellent description, BTW.
They also have huge investments in Leetsdale, Clinton, Jackson Township and Youngwood among others. Their bread and butter is warehouse developments.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 8:03 PM

Pittsburgh Water Authority Breaks Ground On 3 New Green Infrastructure Projects
http://paenvironmentdaily.blogspot.n...reaks.html?m=1

It's nice to see stormwater management getting attention. I hope this eventually leads to requirements for new parking lots to not drain water off of the property.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 8:31 PM

ANSYS Hall at CMU

Turns out the building is designed by Office 52, the West Coast firm that designed CMU's Scott Hall.

http://www.office-52.com/work/ansys-...on-university/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 10:29 AM

Distrikt Hotel in the former Salvation Army building has opened, and it looks pretty nice:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...l-opens-first/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 2:20 PM

Another glowing article about Pittsburgh:
From Steel City to STEM City: Why Smart Millennials Are Making Pittsburgh Home
https://livability.com/topics/real-e...ittsburgh-home

The most exciting thing to me in that article are some referenced stats:
"Pittsburgh now ranks as the #1 place in the country where young people are buying their first home."
Percentage of millennial homebuyers: 48%
Average down payment: $33,963
Average mortgage: $201,921

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 2:24 PM

Some random notes.

1. Building permits are now out for the new structure inside the Mill Building at Almono.

2. Building permits are also now out for the new eight-story office building at 3420 Forbes Avenue in Oakland.

3. Permitting is moving along for the new one-story "reverse strip mall" on Liberty Avenue across from Morrow Park Apartments.

4. Pittsburgh Business times seems to be reporting (behind a paywall) that the developer of Foundry at 41st has bought a "critical" corner property with a restaurant on it. It can only be Kaleidoscope Cafe. I'll be sad to see it go (when I lived a few blocks from there I used to go frequently with my wife and daughter) but I understand why they made the decision, as it gives them another half block of space (everything from Ice House Studios to Willow Street) to work with.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 2:42 PM

Curious... what is a reverse strip mall? Does that mean a proper street wall at a normal sidewalk setback? Or perhaps also business entrances on the street?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Curious... what is a reverse strip mall? Does that mean a proper street wall at a normal sidewalk setback? Or perhaps also business entrances on the street?
Yes. It's going to be two one-story retail buildings with a parking lot hidden in the rear, and the businesses fronting on the sidewalk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations