HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 4:06 AM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
any city with a solid sense of itself (rare in canada) is chauvinist to an extent. it goes against a lot of modern, pluralist, subjectivity-oriented doctrines, but it's also charming in a sort of dickish way. it's funny, but a lot of human interaction is like this: the stated preference doesn't receive the same level of attraction as it's opposite. take seducing women: a little mild dickishness and what could be termed archaic beliefs concerning men and women go over better than pedestalism and pc platitudes. it's weird. our current culture works intellectually but doesn't stir the blood.
Agree. I didn't mean it in a pejorative sense. Indeed, one might ask what is the point of having a culture if you don't think that its the best somehow. Its a bit like having an opinion. If you don't think your opinion is correct, its not really your opinion.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 4:10 AM
Round Head

Given the stylishness of Montrealers it's unfortunate that most of the ones spotted in the West are dirty white guys with dreadlocks and girls with bandanas in Banff.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:05 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
take seducing women: a little mild dickishness and what could be termed archaic beliefs concerning men and women go over better than pedestalism and pc platitudes.
You don't know what the fug yer talkin' about...ya gotta treat dames wit respect. Like I do.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:17 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Speaking of home, the front page news here in Shanghai for the past 3 days is that crazy
Montreal sex-slaying of the Chinese national by that magnotta psycho.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:20 AM
The Vomit Bag.

It is hot and humid herein shanghai, but it seems that I am the only person wearing shorts. Canadian-slob, I must be.
But at least I don't hork and spit, which is a national pastime among Shanghaiese.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 10:48 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
It is hot and humid herein shanghai, but it seems that I am the only person wearing shorts. Canadian-slob, I must be.
But at least I don't hork and spit, which is a national pastime among Shanghaiese.
This is all so confusing for me. You live in London, which means that you don't have a well-established enough sense of identity to have a developed style to fall back and judge the Shanghaiese from, which seems to suggest that you shouldn't be wearing shorts and should be horking and spitting right along with them since surely they know better than you (being a large and established world city and all). But you used to come from Montreal, which means you should have a well-established sense of urban-identity and that you should know better than to wear shorts, but also know better than to hork and spit everywhere.

I'm trying to figure this all out, but this simply doesn't compute. Either MolsonExport should be a conforming horkier or an elitist non-horker, but the shorts throw a twist in the whole thing. It's like he's an elitist, non-conformist. But that would suggest he's a hipster, but he's not wearing skinny jeans and I detect a lack of irony on his part. *Gaaahhhh!!!!*

I really don't think I'm made for this.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:42 PM

Quote:
in winter, you wear overshoes or heavy boots, and keep your office shoes in your bag.

as for walking or biking long distances, i mean, where are these marathons taking place? most people don't walk to work if it takes more than like a half an hour - they metro or cab. biking is similar.

an ordinary pair of oxfords or desert boots or wingtips or whatever are comfortable enough to do most urban walking or biking in. i bixi'd around the plateau all yesterday in a pair of clarks -- it was fine.

it's not the culture here to wear outdoor-sports-type gear in one's daily life.
Overshoes are something I haven't seen since my dad wore them in the 70s and desert boots since my very early university days in the late 80s.

Guess my feet are different. If I were to were oxfords to work or walk half an hour in them every day, my feet would be covered in blisters and the shoes would need new soles in a month. I cycle to one of my jobs and it would be hazardous to wear non-cycling shoes.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 2:18 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Overshoes are something I haven't seen since my dad wore them in the 70s
Yeah, I'm assuming we're talking about what my Dad used to call "toe rubbers". I still remember when offices all had mats near the front door where you peeled them off. Probably last seen around the early 90s or so, although Dad was definitely one of the last holdouts. I don't think he ever participated in a "casual Friday" in his entire working career.

He also epitomized the (in)famous Protestant work ethic (even though we were never Protestant). Worked well into his 70s.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 4:10 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
<snip>Yeah, I'm assuming we're talking about what my Dad used to call "toe rubbers"<snip>.
Toe rubbers worked well in ideal winter conditions, for the well dressed businessman. Overshoes, were often necessary, in heavy snow, salt on sidewalks and lots of slush.

Dress overshoes, where ones suit pants fit over the outside of the overshoe looked something like this. They were felt lined on the interior. I've owned many pairs like this, but mine were less rugged in appearance. My age is showing.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 4:56 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Ah, thanks. Never saw those as much. Definitely never see them today.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:06 PM

How are wearing those ridiculous overshoes better than wearing runners? my work shoes never leave the office (unless I'm going somewhere for lunch), when i go home it's bright white sneakers (summer), or faded and dirty skate shoes I don't really care about anymore (winter). This is the norm in Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:14 PM
HVAC guru

^ I think it's a generational thing

Everyone say that "this is ther norm here" but having lived in all three major western cities, I see really no difference between any of them.

It depends maybe on what area of the city you are in, more than which city you are in. The east/west thing... I have no idea

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:28 PM

Do people in Edmonton or Vancouver wear overshoes? I bet most just wear comfortable walking shoes to work, even with a suit.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:39 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Do people in Edmonton or Vancouver wear overshoes? I bet most just wear comfortable walking shoes to work, even with a suit.
I'd say that most people in Calgary just wear their work shoes home. I'd be surprised if more than 30% of men change into "comfy/practical" shoes for the trips to and from the office (sadly, I spend a lot of time staring at feet on the C-Train). Women a bit higher, they definitely don't all wear heels in the snow and slush.

We can afford a new pair every 2 weeks, so who cares if they get a bit scuffed. I only wish I was kidding.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 7:42 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
No more than anywhere else, I wouldn't think. Lat time I saw a pair of overshoes, my dad wore on his walk to his office on rainy days. But that was two decades ago.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:15 PM
The good old days are now

I've never been to Alberta, but someone told me they don't use salt on their roads. In Montreal the roads are covered in it and people drag it with them
inside buildings and transit.

For me, I change shoes at work in the winter to avoid salt damage to my dress shoes. Salt+Puddle of melted ice =Ruined shoes.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I've never been to Alberta, but someone told me they don't use salt on their roads. In Montreal the roads are covered in it and people drag it with them

For me, I change shoes at work in the winter to avoid salt damage to my dress shoes. Salt+Puddle of melted ice =Ruined shoes.
(not at you, just at the idea of a salt-less Canadian winter)

Far from the truth, sadly. Alberta uses much LESS salt than Ontario and Quebec, that's for sure - but we still have plenty of it on the roads (and more importantly for shoes, sidewalks). We don't get the massive dumps of snow, nor the freezing rain you guys do - so yeah there's a lot less salt. But there's still tons of it.

The old stereotype was "never buy a car from the east" because it will rust out due to all the salt.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:36 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post

We use salt more now than ever before. Its horrible. I have seen a new practice when people throw salt all over freshly fallen snow instead of shoveling....this is a disaster for shoes.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:40 PM

Quote:
I'd say that most people in Calgary just wear their work shoes home. I'd be surprised if more than 30% of men change into "comfy/practical" shoes for the trips to and from the office (sadly, I spend a lot of time staring at feet on the C-Train). Women a bit higher, they definitely don't all wear heels in the snow and slush.

We can afford a new pair every 2 weeks, so who cares if they get a bit scuffed. I only wish I was kidding.
I see lots of guys who change their shoes, as walking a couple km in hard soles dress shoes just isn't comfortable, and the salt from the sidewalks stains the hell out of them. You are right though, way more women do this, and for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
:
The old stereotype was "never buy a car from the east" because it will rust out due to all the salt.
And here it was buy one from Alberta because it will be in good shape.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada