HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 4:21 AM
The City That Moves

Also, if you aren't already following Greg Miller in Ward 4 check him out!!

He would make a fantastic replacement for Sean Chu.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/GregGinYYC
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/gregmillerYYC/?fref=ts

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:10 AM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I like Jeromy. Had many good debates with him on twitter. Very libertarian leaning, but not in a ridiculous way. Seems generally balanced.

But.... his support for ReadyToEngage and their underhanded and misinformed tactics is very disappointing.
"Generally balanced" which is what I've noticed as well.

But then have seen him attack art projects, which amount to some 1% of capital spending. I'm not sure how to take that as constructive.

Also don't get the support for ReadyToEngage which has been spreading misinformation...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:06 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

I don't know if Sean Chu is smart enough to delete this tweet so that posterity doesn't realize he's a pro-Trump conspiracy theorist, but I figured I'd save it:

(full size)

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 2:51 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Nenshi has officially announced that he is seeking re-election in 2017.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 3:10 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
I don't know if Sean Chu is smart enough to delete this tweet so that posterity doesn't realize he's a pro-Trump conspiracy theorist, but I figured I'd save it:
I'd love to see this ass clown voted out of office in 2017.

Good news about Nenshi's bid for a third term. I wonder if after 9 years of municipal politics he will make a move to the provincial or federal level?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 3:19 PM
Round Head

^ With what party would he move to Provincial politics?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Good news about Nenshi's bid for a third term. I wonder if after 9 years of municipal politics he will make a move to the provincial or federal level?
Its doubtful that Nenshi's management style would work well in party politics. He is much too outspoken to be governed by communications regime.

The only possibility I could see for Nenshi is Federal Politics as a hand picked incoming cabinet minister (e.g. Bill Morneau, Chrystal Freeland, Chris Alexander).

Its also possible that for Nenshi to move to federal politics he would have to leave Calgary and run in major city like Toronto/Vancouver or get Kent Hehr out of his seat.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
^ With what party would he move to Provincial politics?
Seems like a good fit for the Wild Rose, he hates on everything Liberal or progressive and champions lower taxes.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Its doubtful that Nenshi's management style would work well in party politics. He is much too outspoken to be governed by communications regime.

The only possibility I could see for Nenshi is Federal Politics as a hand picked incoming cabinet minister (e.g. Bill Morneau, Chrystal Freeland, Chris Alexander).

Its also possible that for Nenshi to move to federal politics he would have to leave Calgary and run in major city like Toronto/Vancouver or get Kent Hehr out of his seat.
I agree with the comments about his style and fit and the possibility of being parachuted into cabinet -- although remember how that fared for Glen Murray (whose pre-Ontario career was very Nenshi-esque).

I disagree with the bit about ridings. I think Calgary's party allegiances are in flux and many "safe" seats (for any party) could be in play by the time of the next federal election. Nenshi would probably have as good a chance in some of the NE ridings as he would in the centre. There is no way a sitting cabinet minister is going to be forced aside for a newcomer and I doubt Hehr is likely to be eyeing an alternate career.

Leaving Calgary to run in a big city to which he has no connection would be stupid and risky. However capable and progressive Nenshi is, if he is seen as a carpet-bagging Calgarian he could easily be destroyed in Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 6:33 PM

I've always got the impression that Nenshi was only about cities; so any move would have to be related. I don't agree with the rhetoric that moving provincially or federally is somehow a promotion. Nothing he has said would suggest he thinks it would be "the next step" or whatever either. IMO anyways

Perhaps if the Federal Government ever decides to get back involved in public housing or a substantial pivot towards municipalities like they were in the 60s - 80s there would be some positions that an urban-minded mayor would be suited for or interested in. I don't see that pivot happening, the Feds have generally been in retreat from urban issues (excluding the recent blip in infrastructure spending).

I am excited for him to continue. Calgary is a big, cumbersome vessel to change course from a sleepy, suburban, prairie town to an increasingly important, powerful, diverse city-region. Such a transition benefits from a steady, progressive - but pragmatic - hand on the wheel and so far we have gotten that from the Nenshi era. Urban reform (from a urban planning, development, lifestyle and cultural perspective) is slower than I would like - but it has also been accomplished without much blowback or backsliding. We are finally seeing some changes on the ground from the last decade of reform. Continued pressure in that direction for another 4 years will help cement the new direction into more policies, regulations and processes to keep the snowball growing in the right direction.

I am more worried about another term of non-thinking ideologues such as Chu than I am worried about another term of an opinionated - but compromising and intelligent - Nenshi.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 7:51 PM

Now for something completely different, pure municipal politics speculation and rumor generation.

Jyoti Gondek, huge secondary suite promoter, UoC prof in Real Estate Studies, outspoken on urban planning issues, Ward 3 resident.

We all ready know the Ward 3 incumbent, Jim Stevenson, is not running again.

We all ready know Ward 3 electoral boundaries will dramatically change in the next election.

Yesterday was Jyoti Gondek's last day as CPC Commissioner. Gondek's resignation from CPC was a little abrupt (probably last minute is a better description).

If Gondek were to run in Ward 3, resigning from CPC would be a required first step.

Gondek is easily the best person for the job, especially since the new Ward 3 will face constant urban planning issues throughout the next council term.

A very pro secondary suite candidate would be very different for Ward 3. This would give North Calgary a very heated civic election debate over secondary suites. Chu vs Miller in Ward 4 (which now includes a very suburban section from old Ward 7) and the Stevenson legacy vs Gondek in ward 3.

Last edited by Cage; Nov 19, 2016 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:25 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Now for something completely different, pure municipal politics speculation and rumor generation.

Joyti Gondek, huge secondary suite promoter, UoC prof in Real Estate Studies, outspoken on urban planning issues, Ward 3 resident.

We all ready know Ward 3 electoral boundaries will dramatically change in the next election.

Yesterday was Joyti Gondek's last day as CPC Commissioner. Gondek's resignation from CPC was a little abrupt (probably last minute is a better description).

If Gondek were to run in Ward 3, resigning from CPC would be a required first step.

Gondek is easily the best person for the job, especially since the new Ward 3 will face constant urban planning issues throughout the next council term.

A very pro secondary suite candidate would be very different for Ward 3. This would give North Calgary a very heated civic election debate over secondary suites. Chu vs Miller in Ward 4 (which now includes a very suburban section from old Ward 7) and the Stevenson legacy vs Gondek in ward 3.
I've heard rumours about her running. She'd be an excellent Councillor. Very thoughtful person.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:33 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:

Joyti Gondek, huge secondary suite promoter, UoC prof in Real Estate Studies, outspoken on urban planning issues, Ward 3 resident.

Yesterday was Joyti Gondek's last day as CPC Commissioner. Gondek's resignation from CPC was a little abrupt (probably last minute is a better description).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I've heard rumours about her running. She'd be an excellent Councillor. Very thoughtful person.
She would be an absolutely amazing councilor. She not only has the strength of her convictions, she is incredibly intelligent and has the understanding to back up what she says (especially regarding secondary suites, the importance of rental housing etc).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:52 PM
Round Head

We should form the SSP committee to elect Jyoti Gondek

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Godspeed, Greg Miller.

This could turn out to be a very interesting civic election. I wonder if Nenshi will publish a pick of favorites again this time around. It didn't seem to do him any favours last time. If anything, Nenshi haters immediately discounted whoever was on his list.

Looking forward to hearing Larry Heather's platform. Certain to be profound.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:32 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

JYOTI. Sociology PhD from U of C.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
JYOTI. Sociology PhD from U of C.
Thanks for the correction.

Apologies to Jyoti Gondek on the misspelling.

Before we start an election draft, perhaps there is a way to alter IOS auto correct so that JYO does not become JOY.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 6:23 PM

Another Ward 3 Councillor contender is Rick Lundy of Northern Hills CA fame.

If both Gondek and Lundy were to enter the race, this could make for a rehash of the Harvest Hills Golf Course debate.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 10:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Jyoti Gondek confirms running for Ward 3 Council seat

https://twitter.com/JyotiGondek/stat...11500491214848
That's great news.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 11:18 PM
Round Head

Jyoti is great. She's someone a lot of different people will like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy