HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 4:15 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I always thought the Lucid Group of Companies was behind The FlatIron?
http://www.luxrestaurantgroup.com/

and poking around there I see this coffeehouse with locations in Centennial, Jamieson and "Lucid Square at Ramsay Crossing." Address is on 26th Ave SE and looks very near to Caffe Rosso- looks like more good coffee times in your neck of the woods.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:21 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

For those of you who've been lamenting the loss of Wicked Wedge (to Chinook Centre), I beg you to try Una Pizza which is its more upscale replacement.

I had lunch there today- ordered 3 "pintxos" or something like that, tapas, for $5. These were little skewers of anchovy, bocconcini and roasted red pepper with a dollop of pesto (or some similar sort of basil salsa). They were AMAZING, and I mean "one of the best things I've ever tasted" amazing.

I had a pizza with potato- have always loved potato pizza since discovering it at Amato in Toronto. This version has a little schmier of honey under the cheese (no red sauce) for a gorgous sweet-savoury-salty combo all on top of what is quite simply the best pizza crust I have ever eaten. And i mean EVER. It was orgasmic.

I had water- they do house-filtered water just like Rush does- and an espresso after- and Lord thank you, this is finally a restaurant that gets the importance of coffee: they actually pull Intelligentsia Black Cat!

Pizza was $14. I'd have paid twice that, it was that good.

I might have a new favourite restaurant in Calgary.

http://www.unapizzeria.com/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post

Do they do eat-in? I'm seriously considering doing a Friday night visit followed by a walk over to the Dog 'n Duck Pub for some refreshments following dinner.
I stopped off at the Beef Shack for lunch today, their winter hours are 11-3pm. Which means you'll have to hit the Dog 'n Duck a little earlier than usual. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
http://www.luxrestaurantgroup.com/

and poking around there I see this coffeehouse with locations in Centennial, Jamieson and "Lucid Square at Ramsay Crossing." Address is on 26th Ave SE and looks very near to Caffe Rosso- looks like more good coffee times in your neck of the woods.
I knew there was a connection. I won't be holding my breath for Lucid Square to be built. There's so much office space available around these parts, one would have to be insane to build.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
For those of you who've been lamenting the loss of Wicked Wedge (to Chinook Centre), I beg you to try Una Pizza which is its more upscale replacement.

I had lunch there today- ordered 3 "pintxos" or something like that, tapas, for $5. These were little skewers of anchovy, bocconcini and roasted red pepper with a dollop of pesto (or some similar sort of basil salsa). They were AMAZING, and I mean "one of the best things I've ever tasted" amazing.

I had a pizza with potato- have always loved potato pizza since discovering it at Amato in Toronto. This version has a little schmier of honey under the cheese (no red sauce) for a gorgous sweet-savoury-salty combo all on top of what is quite simply the best pizza crust I have ever eaten. And i mean EVER. It was orgasmic.

I had water- they do house-filtered water just like Rush does- and an espresso after- and Lord thank you, this is finally a restaurant that gets the importance of coffee: they actually pull Intelligentsia Black Cat!

Pizza was $14. I'd have paid twice that, it was that good.

I might have a new favourite restaurant in Calgary.

http://www.unapizzeria.com/

Do they have pizza by the slice at 3 am?

THe folks who bought Wicked Wedge must have more money than brains. They paid around $200,000 for the business. Since they've moved it to Chinook and appear to have all new equipment, they just bought the name.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 12:14 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Do they have pizza by the slice at 3 am?
No. No slices.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 5:09 PM

Valentine's Day suggestions

A little over 2 weeks to the first Hallmark holiday of the year. Looking for a little location advice from the dining crew on SSP. Yes, price is a factor but not the only one - we don't mind spending $150 all-in for the night. And, yes, a place that takes reservations is a must (we'd love to try Jaro Blue but they don't take reservations).

Can anyone recommend:
A place where you can order off of the menu or where the set Valentine's Day menu is 'reasonable' - ie. not $85/person plus $35/person wine pairing on top of it. We want a nice meal but not one that equals a mortgage payment.

Places we have tried and like (for comparison):
Olives, Belgo, Rush, Alloy, Muse
(apparently we only like restaurants with one-word names... Ha).

Style:
We're leaning away from Asian or Indian - leaning towards Italian, French, Spanish or contemporary.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 6:43 PM

^ There is always Living Room with the tasting menu which should still be in your price range. Always good in my experience (that is, if it is still open)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 12:21 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
A little over 2 weeks to the first Hallmark holiday of the year. Looking for a little location advice from the dining crew on SSP. Yes, price is a factor but not the only one - we don't mind spending $150 all-in for the night. And, yes, a place that takes reservations is a must (we'd love to try Jaro Blue but they don't take reservations).

Can anyone recommend:
A place where you can order off of the menu or where the set Valentine's Day menu is 'reasonable' - ie. not $85/person plus $35/person wine pairing on top of it. We want a nice meal but not one that equals a mortgage payment.

Style:
We're leaning away from Asian or Indian - leaning towards Italian, French, Spanish or contemporary.
Sugo? Capo (probably too expensive)? Centini? UNA PIZZA (AMAZING!)?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 12:30 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post

Can anyone recommend:

Style:
I can't vouch for many upscale restaurants in Calgary, but JAROblue has great food! The place is tiny, and you might feel crowded, but the food is worth it. My ex (a crazy but fun Korean gal) was impressed.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 11:05 PM

This sucks. The last thing this city needs is to lose another live music venue. I wish the ALCB would catch up with the times.

I t's been a rough week for the denizens of Calgary's after-hours scene now that The Warehouse and The Underground have gone underground for good -- as in six feet under.

The joint clubs on 10th Avenue S.W., which were a staple of the city's nightlife for 26 years, have closed their doors permanently after losing their Class C liquor licence last weekend.

The venue, which has also been a popular spot for live music in the past decade, has been classified as a private club since opening in 1984.

That Class C status allowed the Warehouse/Underground to operate as an after-hours establishment where people could stay and dance long after the last call for alcohol at 2 a.m.

"We had a huge niche in the afterhours (scene)," the club's owner, Chris Hewitt, said on Thursday. "We are the niche, that's it. There's nobody else."

But according to the Alberta Liquor and Gaming Commission, the Warehouse/Underground wasn't following the guidelines set for private clubs.

"In recent years, we've received complaints that it's not a private club, that they're open to the public. (Their) events are advertised to the general public," noted Lynn Hutchings-Mah, a communications officer for the commission. "In a typical private club, if you're a member, you have to go in and show a membership card, and, if you've got guests, you have to sign them in."

Hewitt counters that the club was pushing its membership dictates, but he admits there was a few cracks in the system.

"There will be multi-thousands of people coming through the room every year, so if we happened to let a small trickle of people in who managed to get through without a membership, it's not all that stunning," he said.

Hutchings-Mah said the commission tried "to work with the licensee," encouraging the Warehouse/Underground to apply for a Class A (minors prohibited) licence -- similar to a typical nightclub.

As Hewitt saw it, though, "they were trying to strong-arm us into doing that."

The main reason the Class A status wouldn't work for the Warehouse/ Underground, said Hewitt, is that it would force the club to clear out its premises every night by 3 a.m., thus eliminating its status as an afterhours hot spot.

"There's going to be a very big hole (when it comes to) mid-size concert venues," he said.

In recent years, internationally acclaimed indie rock acts such as Caribou, Jello Biafra, the Boredoms, King Khan & The Shrines, the Hold Steady and Gaslight Anthem have performed at the Warehouse/Underground.

Before it became a live venue, the club was central to Calgary's DJ dance scene, added Hewitt, a DJ himself.

Ultimately, Hewitt feels he was mistreated by the commission.

"It's not like I was running some underground crime scene," he said. "It's not like this was a blight on Calgary and everybody will breath a sigh of relief. . . .

"Everyone just goes there to dance."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...900/story.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 9:04 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Partner and I had dinner at Una Pizza last night- my second visit- and I am now officially in love.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 5:08 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Going to the Flames game tonight, trying out Loungeburger before the game. Can't wait!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 8:05 PM
Littering and............

Do you have a reservation? If not, get there damn early! A few Friday's ago I was there and grabbed the last seat in the lounge @ 4:15.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 8:19 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

No reservation, I called them and they said they were already booked and to get there early for a seat.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 8:25 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:

"There will be multi-thousands of people coming through the room every year, so if we happened to let a small trickle of people in who managed to get through without a membership, it's not all that stunning," he said.

Did he really say "multi-thousands?"

It is a shame that the Warehouse and Underground closed but they clearly were abusing their after-hours license. It's one of those things that if alcohol was to be served after hours you need to follow that. I have always wondered how they got away with that.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 10:14 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post

It is a shame that the Warehouse and Underground closed but they clearly were abusing their after-hours license. It's one of those things that if alcohol was to be served after hours you need to follow that. I have always wondered how they got away with that.
That's one part I didn't get.. I've been to the afterhours a few times after 3am and I never saw alcohol being served. Even back in the day on the day of their annual anniversary they would stay open 24 hrs all weekend, and I recall sometime around 2:30 everyone would have to leave, and then come back in at 3 since no one by law could have open liquor in an establishment after 3am.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post

That was the E talking.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 3:53 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Loungeburger report from last night:

Holy crap it is packed on a Flames game night. We got there at 4:50 and there wasn't a single spot left in the bar, the restaurant side was fully reserved. So we bellied up to the bar (no stools left) and waited to pounce on the first table or bar chairs to open up.

After about half an hour we spotted two bar chairs being vacated and managed to slot ourselves in. I ordered the Wonton Shrimps to start, they were very tasty. For the main course I went with the Kobe beef burger...delicious! Topped it all off with some Creme Brule for dessert and headed off to the game after that.

Considering the place was absolutely jam packed the service was very good, and the meals came very quick. Can't wait to go again!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 7:20 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Loungeburger report from last night:

Holy crap it is packed on a Flames game night. We got there at 4:50 and there wasn't a single spot left in the bar, the restaurant side was fully reserved. So we bellied up to the bar (no stools left) and waited to pounce on the first table or bar chairs to open up.

After about half an hour we spotted two bar chairs being vacated and managed to slot ourselves in. I ordered the Wonton Shrimps to start, they were very tasty. For the main course I went with the Kobe beef burger...delicious! Topped it all off with some Creme Brule for dessert and headed off to the game after that.

Considering the place was absolutely jam packed the service was very good, and the meals came very quick. Can't wait to go again!
So how much does something like a Kobe beef burger run you?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation