HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 10:08 PM

I thought the "new" plan was to route the Ed Schreyer Parkway through the old east yards (adjacent to Ravelston) and connect to Plessis. Not the "old" plan to connect at Regent.

That got bunged up when everyone complained and the tall grass prairie reserve was created. Then the city sold the right of way south of Regent to Vickar Mitsubishi, built a bunch of houses south of that. Then built townhouses south of that.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I thought the "new" plan was to route the Ed Schreyer Parkway through the old east yards (adjacent to Ravelston) and connect to Plessis. Not the "old" plan to connect at Regent.

That got bunged up when everyone complained and the tall grass prairie reserve was created. Then the city sold the right of way south of Regent to Vickar Mitsubishi, built a bunch of houses south of that. Then built townhouses south of that.
Have to agree with you, with the proposed route there is no way to extend Ed. S Parkway to Dugald, that and the fact they are building an underpass on Plessis leads me to believe a new route that uses part of what is now Plessis makes more sense.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:21 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Genstar will be holding an open house Feb. 27 Canad Inns Trancona for proposed developments in the area between Transcona and EK.

-Western extension of Kildare

-Extension of Devonshire Dr. west

-Twinning of Ravleston Ave east

-Extending Reenders Drive to Peguis

-Twinning/paving of Peguis from extended Reenders to CPR Keewatin rail line

-Closure of Almey at Lag.

-Construction of Ed Schreyer just west of Plessis from Regent to proposed extension of CP Trail
Is that part of the reason why there's a graveled extension of Ravleston south of Almey, that diagonally bisects but not connect the northbound lane of Lagimodiere?

EDIT: Hmmm, it seems that this "extension" dates back to 2002 on Google Earth. Was this the "old" way into Ravleston or was this planned even further back?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Is that part of the reason why there's a graveled extension of Ravleston south of Almey, that diagonally bisects but not connect the northbound lane of Lagimodiere?

EDIT: Hmmm, it seems that this "extension" dates back to 2002 on Google Earth. Was this the "old" way into Ravleston or was this planned even further back?
I believe that section was once connected to either Lag. or Reenders.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:28 AM

Quote:
-Closure of Almey at Lag.
Please please please pleas please!!!

Will this actually happen? What about the credit union that is there? If Almey is closed off where will access to the credit union come from? Ravleston?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
Please please please pleas please!!!

Will this actually happen? What about the credit union that is there? If Almey is closed off where will access to the credit union come from? Ravleston?
I seen a plan somewhere, possibly on the city clerks website. It didn't make sense to me. Showed Almey being closed off at Ravelston, leaving the bank on the Lagimodiere side. So you could only access the bank from lag, not from Almey/Ravelston. Just seemed very odd. Maybe there's a grander plan that isn't public yet.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:37 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I seen a plan somewhere, possibly on the city clerks website. It didn't make sense to me. Showed Almey being closed off at Ravelston, leaving the bank on the Lagimodiere side. So you could only access the bank from lag, not from Almey/Ravelston. Just seemed very odd. Maybe there's a grander plan that isn't public yet.

This is not directed at you, but the answer is a fairly new concept to the City of Winnipeg.......wait for it........Service Roads!

I can understand the City's reluctance to jump on board with a concept only being in use for 60 plus years in North America, but that would solve the access problems. the issue is that the City has let development encroach so close to Lagimodiere that is might be a challenge fitting them in but i think they could make it work.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
... a fairly new concept to the City of Winnipeg.......wait for it........Service Roads!
Really? Have you heard that this may actually occur?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Really? Have you heard that this may actually occur?
I'm sure the City will conduct a series of studies to see if such infrastructure works.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:32 PM

Because clearly service roads is too new of a concept to not be studied thoroughly before putting in to place.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:46 PM

Lol I usually don't post that, but you made me laugh.

That service road has no where to go. Maybe link up with Reenders somehow if an overpass ever gets built there. Other than that one house there's nothing to service!

But even for service roads, that one's kind of funny IMO.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'm sure the City will conduct a series of studies to see if such infrastructure works.
Can only think of something like a service road on Grant (near the mall), goes to show the poor civic planning dept. the city employed for far too long.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
I believe that section was once connected to either Lag. or Reenders.
I have a 1967 City of Winnipeg map issued by the Metro Corp and it shows that Ravelston went straight through to what was called at the time Birds Hill Rd (now Molson St.).

It was severed and rerouted when the "new" Hwy 59 came in and street names in the area were changed. Callsbeck is the west end of the old Ravelston and its a dead end connection to Molson St.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I have a 1967 City of Winnipeg map issued by the Metro Corp and it shows that Ravelston went straight through to what was called at the time Birds Hill Rd (now Molson St.).

It was severed and rerouted when the "new" Hwy 59 came in and street names in the area were changed. Callsbeck is the west end of the old Ravelston and its a dead end connection to Molson St.
Almey went across to Panet also. But when Rona was built, that was closed.

I think they should put a road in on the south side of the CP tracks, similar to what Concordia does on the north side. Would need to extend the bridge, etc. But would be a huge benefit to traffic in general for the area.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Can only think of something like a service road on Grant (near the mall), goes to show the poor civic planning dept. the city employed for far too long.
They're out there. Perimeter has service roads on both sides pretty much the whole way. Lag in some spots. Fermor east of lag. There's actually one on Panet just north of Nairn. Panet was the old Hwy 59.

But yes, definitely lacking.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
People on Almey asked years ago the have the street closed off at the east end because they did not want the traffic from Costco coming down.

It was turned down at the time because the Public Service said it was too long of a street to be like that and there would be problems with turning garbage trucks, school buses etc as there was no way to put a cul-d-sac in without buying land from the houses at the east end. Apparently the owners at the end did not want to sell.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:12 PM

Quote:
They're out there. Perimeter has service roads on both sides pretty much the whole way. Lag in some spots. Fermor east of lag. There's actually one on Panet just north of Nairn. Panet was the old Hwy 59.

But yes, definitely lacking.
Also out in Headingley to service the commercial business that front Hwy #1..

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:40 PM
What could go wrong?

This is my version of what i would like to see done to Lagimodiere - trenched from Concordia Overpass to CN Mainline overpass. It would be expensive but...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:46 PM

The winnipeg.ca page linked above does suggest that they'd like to put a grade separation at Regent and Lagimodiere.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Waverley and McGillivray also have what are essentially service roads (Buffalo Pl, Gamble Pl, etc.)... Not sure why city planners always get the bad rap for these types of issues though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan