HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 7:04 PM

Yes, it is a very popular page indeed! I visit it most days, in case there's anything I need for my SMK research, but have yet to post a query. I want to make sure anything I post is indeed in the SFV so I don't waste anyone's time.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 7:20 PM

And for good measure, here is one of the ads from the Van Nuys News from Friday the 13th of November, 1914...

courtesy of NewspaperArchive.com

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Excellent idea, Moxie--that is one popular facebook page, btw. I posted an inquiry. I found one reference to the plant being at "6001 Sherman Way," another in a 1922 city directory to it being at "1 Sherman Way." These seem to be parts of an old numbering system. Let's hope that San Fernanado Valley Relics solves the mystery. Meantime, another view of the building turned up--this time in Robert Morton guise. Still no precise address, but this time the LAPL puts it in Van Nuys, as most sources have it.

LAPL
Sherman Way opened for traffic in 1912 and indeed it originally included what is now Chandler Blvd, and that portion of Van Nuys Blvd which stretches from Chandler on the south to present day Sherman Way. If the Johnston Company built their manufacturing plant in 1913, it is likely this is the street configuration that was in use. If the numbering system is consistent with today's system (an admittedly big 'if') that would put the building at 6001 Sherman Way (Van Nuys Blvd) which is the northwest corner of present day Van Nuys Blvd and Oxnard Street.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 8:07 PM

Despite having posted the map below only a few weeks ago--which I just remembered--I wasn't clear on the historical routings of Sherman Way. You have found the organ factory, MR. The northwest corner of Sherman Way and Oxnard it is, even more so since I've now run across descriptions of the Johnston/Morton building as having been near the corner of Aetna Street as well as at 6001 SW. There is also the definitive mention in the Daily News on October 30, 1944, of the Arthur Zweebell company, a manufacturer of radio cabinets, having "purchased the large industrial plant at 6001 Van Nuys Blvd., former home of the Robert Morton organ plant." I wonder when the building was demolished? There were reports of it being considered as a prospect for conversion to a brewery after the repeal of Prohibition, but I don't know if anything came of that.

This is a fragment of the map I posted here:

LAPL

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; May 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
A couple of months ago I purchased an interesting old album filled with with interesting photos of Hollywood, Laurel Canyon, and Lookout Mountain (an area that fascinates me).

This one is labeled "On the Boulevard to Lookout Mountain Park". The little sign to the left of the roadway reads "GRAND SCENIC DRIVE TO LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN"

--------------------------------------------

This photo has the same typewritten caption as the previous one. This might be the intersection of Grand View Drive and Cole Crest Drive. The sign reads "YOU R ON THE ROAD TO C FROM LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN".

All images from personal collection.
Your discoveries from the album you purchased fascinate me as well David. I love the archaic old signs in these two shots.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
LA Noire shot.

This art deco apartment was obviously inspired by the Mauretania Apartments at 520-522 Rossmore Avenue in the Hancock Park area.
The 'concave' area that you see in the L.A. Noir shot is at far right.

google street view

This 10 unit streamline moderne complex was designed in 1934 by Milton J. Black for Wizard of Oz Tin Man Jack Halley and his wife Flo.
The 4,000 square-foot penthouse was occupied by the Haleys for two decades, and by John F. Kennedy for four days in 1960.

below: The Mauretania in 1936. "The apartment is white in color with yellow wood trim & chromium bars."

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1337642875003

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 9:07 AM

Over at blogdowntown.com there's a fascinating little bit of info from the ongoing restoration work at Clifton's Cafeteria:

[source: Hayley Fox / blogdowntown.com]
Crews have been uncovering layers of the restaurant's history, peeling back walls until they reach the original 1930s facade.

"We've uncovered just amazing things," said Meieran.

While many of these things he wants to keep as "surprises" for future patrons, Meieran did say that behind one wall they found a neon light -- it was on, and had been quietly glowing behind the wall for about 70 years. He's dubbed it the "Eternal Neon," adding that the light has no switch and must be hard-wired into a panel deep in the brick.

Neon experts told Meieran it must be the "oldest existing, continuing operating neon in the world."

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:44 PM

Signs of Northridge: Zelzah, ca. 1910-1929; North Los Angeles, 1929-1938; Northridge, 1938 to present.

Pics: The Museum of the San Fernanado Valley

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 1:10 PM

I wish they'd stuck with Zelzah. Such a great name! Think of all the proud grads of CSU-Zelzah there'd be in the world today. Or the 1994 Zelzah Quake!

And Handsome Stranger, your post has me feeling the need to research neon to figure out how it was possible for it to be on that long without becoming a fire hazard (or running up the electric bill enough for people to hunt the source of the power drain). Really amazing. I hope someone from some neon sign museum is able to give it a place of honor (if they aren't planning to do that in Clifton's, anyway).

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Google Street View

Paul Laszlo designed the Crenshaw Theater...
Google Street View

Here's a photo by Julius Shulman back in the day:
arcspace.com

After the movies, go to the mall . . .

View of the Crenshaw Shopping Center, ca.1952

http://photos.lapl.org

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:59 PM

At night, from a distance, the High Tower Apts look downright classy

Somewhere in the dark, a small, disgruntled domestic cat searches for his next can of Courry Brand cat food.

hightower by MichaelRyerson, on Flickr

from Silver Screen Oasis
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/...hp?f=22&t=5099

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedays View Post
Great, great thread. I feel obligated to contribute.

Looking at Baldwin Hills South/West, 1940-49, at what would become Baldwin Hills Park now. The road wrapping around on the right is probably Jefferson, which changed names into Higuera St., which probably intersects at bottom center (off screen) with Moynier Lane. The small road just after Jefferson/Higuera that dead ends into the hills could be Lewawee (based on a 1941 map). (USC Digital Collection)

Baldwin Hills, ca. 1932 (Reverse angle? Looking N x NW?)
http://photos.lapl.org

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Excellent! update on the Hotel Normandie renovation BifRayRock.
___
below: What is the oversized building I circled in red? I can't seem to place it.

originally posted by BifRayrock

http://www.lapl.org/

I've never noticed so many palm trees...they're lined up like soldiers.__
Circa 1930, absent the detail of trees, evokes thoughts of staying indoors to avoid the blazing sun. "Please turn the fan on high!"
LAPL

Forget it!, I will escape the heat by going to the movies! Hollywood Blvd. looking east (notice Graumans) in first picture - all circa 1930 from LAPL

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 4:07 PM

Pacoima Dam

Photograph of a rear view of Pacoima Dam under construction, January 20, 1928
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu

Reverse view, same dam complete 1932

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 4:27 PM

Has anyone posted an aerial photo of Wilshire or the surrounds where Bob's is visible? Have wondered how long the bird sat there.

1930s - Wilshire, looking East, Wiltern Theater is in center.
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics45/00072269.jpg

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A 'makeshift' road undulating it's way out to San Bernardino. What happens if you meet another car!?!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/___
Another interesting "plank road" article here: http://www.gbcnet.com/ushighways/US8...lank_road.html

"In the past, people have taken pieces of the road and used them for firewood, not seeing the value in preserving it. General Patton's troops did much to destroy it during their training in the area during World War II."

http://www.google.com

http://landmarkadventures.blogspot.c...lank-road.html
http://landmarkadventures.blogspot.c...lank-road.html

But just when you think it's smooth sailing, you turn off to the Devil's Golf Course - where there is little concern for oncoming traffic. Ca. '28, Death Valley:
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 6:51 PM

http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics45/00072269.jpg[/QUOTE]

Am used to seeing dead straight roads in the US, thats an interesting deviation from the straight and narrow in the near bottom left corner, Residents hold out from evil road builders perhaps??

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Over at blogdowntown.com there's a fascinating little bit of info from the ongoing restoration work at Clifton's Cafeteria:

[source: Hayley Fox / blogdowntown.com]
Crews have been uncovering layers of the restaurant's history, peeling back walls until they reach the original 1930s facade.

"We've uncovered just amazing things," said Meieran.

While many of these things he wants to keep as "surprises" for future patrons, Meieran did say that behind one wall they found a neon light -- it was on, and had been quietly glowing behind the wall for about 70 years. He's dubbed it the "Eternal Neon," adding that the light has no switch and must be hard-wired into a panel deep in the brick.

Neon experts told Meieran it must be the "oldest existing, continuing operating neon in the world."

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES - Andrew Meieran, the owner of Clifton’s Cafeteria, continues a major renovation that will add three new bars and another restaurant to the property at 648 S. Broadway. Meieran said he is updating the famous cafeteria on the ground level without altering its historic character; the street-level renovation will anchor the first phase of the project, which will also include the addition of a “neighborhood bar” on the mezzanine. Future phases will include the transformation of the second floor into a jazz and blues lounge/bar called The Brookdale, as well as a speakeasy style bar in the basement. The third floor is slated to get a tiki bar. A fine dining restaurant will go on the fourth floor, and an existing bakery will be renovated. The main cafeteria is tentatively slated to reopen by early 2013, and the new venues will arrive in phases every three months after that. The first phase will include a renovation of the building’s façade. Meieran hopes to get the property listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

© Los Angeles Downtown News 2012

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 8:07 PM

Downtown projects

Some updates on Downtown Projects:

Hall of Justice-
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES - Kerjon Lee, public affairs manager for the County Department of Public Works, said historic architectural elements are being preserved on several floors of the Hall of Justice. A 2014 opening is expected for the 1925 building at 211 W. Temple St. The $231 million renovation of the edifice that closed after being damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake will include seismic improvements, elevator upgrades, new electrical and mechanical systems and connecting the building to systems for sewage, water and gas. The project will also create an underground 1,000-car garage on the north side of the building and a high-pressure wash of the granite exterior. When upgraded the building will house the Sheriff’s Department, the District Attorney’s office and other county agencies.

The building will be white again!

The City Hall Lawn-
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES - The city Department of Recreation and Parks continues to work on a $390,000 renovation of the 1.7-acre lawn and park around City Hall. The space is expected to reopen in early June, said Tom Gibson, a city landscape architect. The makeover calls for a 51% reduction in the amount of water-thirsty grass in public areas that were damaged during the two-month Occupy L.A. encampment last year. The grassy south lawn will be mostly unchanged. Other areas will get more drought-tolerant plants and permeable surfaces. The council is also looking into a private fundraising campaign to help pay for maintenance, which will cost about $135,000 a year.

I walk past the park everyday. It's really looking good. Of course it will be trashed soon after it opens.

Los Angeles Street Cars-
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES - In March the Metro board of directors was presented with the final streetcar route recommendation. The selection of the route clears the way for the start of the environmental review process, which could take up to a year; the environmental study is necessary to get federal funding for the project. The path calls for the streetcar to travel south on Broadway from First Street to 11th Street, turn west to Figueroa Street and go north to Seventh Street. It would then head east on Seventh to Hill Street and go north to First Street. It would end on Grand Avenue near MOCA and Eli Broad’s coming art museum. The exact stops have not been determined. The project is estimated at $106 million and officials with the nonprofit Los Angeles Streetcar Inc. expect to apply for $60 million in Federal Transit Administration Small Starts funds this year. Additionally, officials are working on plans to ask area stakeholders to pay for approximately half of the project through assessments similar to those in business improvement districts. The project already has $10 million from the CRA in place. Metro officials estimate the streetcar could begin operating in early 2016. At lastreetcar.com.

The whole list:

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/develo...a4bcf887a.html

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics45/00072269.jpg
Am used to seeing dead straight roads in the US, thats an interesting deviation from the straight and narrow in the near bottom left corner, Residents hold out from evil road builders perhaps??[/QUOTE]

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, one thing that makes this area interesting is its varied topography. It is generally in the flatlands that you see straight boulevards. The hills and dales don't naturally lend themselves to this, except for places like Bunker Hill, where the "Hill" is now unnatural and mostly a memory.

There could be any number of reasons for the shape and placement of a road, including existing topography and cost. As with the oil derrick in the middle of La Cienega or the Pacific Coast Hwy, through the Adams Estate in Malibu, it could be a question of competing property interests and in some cases, the path becomes a road via prescriptive easement or inverse condemnation.

Can't be certain from the photo, but the curved stretch looks like it is 6th Street between Wilton and Norton Avenues. Several lots North of 6th (Eastern area of Hancock Park) are large and unusually shaped compared with surrounding areas. I believe the this thread dealt with the 3 Stooges on Norton and many of the Homes in the neighborhood.

If you are interested in Curves, here's a few of which you may be familiar: (No coaching from the audience.)

http://www.google.com

http://media.photobucket.com

google

http://www.google.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos