HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Correction, 2nd outside St. John's.

Stephenville had a Starbucks on Main St. from 2008 to 2010.

Random and surprising fact of the day, who knew?
Hmmm.... really? Unfortunately short-lived though. I think Tim Horton's has the rest of Newfoundland brainwashed into thinking it is the only coffee one should drink. I don't mind Tim's, it's just that there's much better coffee out there. Plus I do find the taste to be inconsistent.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 6:42 PM

are there any second cups around the island?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Not that I know of... but I was wrong about Starbucks!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I've never seen one, but you never know where one might hide.

Starbucks probably would have survived had it not been another local cafe called the Boardwalk. They do their own fresh baked goods and host art shows etc... basically they cornered the market on trendy coffee shops and appeal to similar clientele that would visit a Starbucks.

I'd like to see them try it in Corner Brook, although I worry the same thing would happen going up against Brewed Awakening and Thistledown's. Both have diverse products and Brewed does really well with students.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 12:07 AM

Boathouse is opening their first Newfoundland location at the Corner Brook Plaza. They seem to sell the same brands of clothing that are available at either, or both of, Pseudio and Sportchek, but more outdoor items(jackets, swimwear, footwear etc...). There are also existing stores in Stephenville, Deer Lake, and Steady Brook that already do this as well, but the outdoor apparel market is large enough (I think) to sustain it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 PM

Thats good! always good to have new retail opening around!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 12:50 PM

I went to Northern Exposure, the conference about all the things happening in LAbrador.

There is a HUGE development happening in the middle of Goose Bay, including residential and commercial with apartment buildings, a Hotel and a small big box store area (this will be kind of similar to the pleasantville development in St. John's but with more of a retail/ commercial area from what I can see.)

Here's the link:
http://goosebaycapitalcorporation.com/

They are doing it in phases because they are unsure how fast the town will grow therefore they split up the massive project to bite at in chucks.

this is the area:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=gooseb...33023&t=h&z=16

here's Phase 0 and part of phase one (this is just the corner of the development

Here are some concept renderings:

Also some more news for the region:

Infrastructure Announcement in Labrador

Quote:
Federal and provincial ministers are expected to make what they're calling a significant infrastructure announcement in Labrador this morning. The minister of intergovernmental affairs, Peter Penashue, junior minister Ted Menzies, and provincial ministers Paul Davis and Nick McGrath will make the announcement at the Hotel North Two in Happy Valley-Goose Bay at 10:00 am.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...30257&latest=1

Muskrat Power a Must

Quote:
North Atlantic Iron Corporation says Muskrat Falls power is a must if they are to move ahead with a multi million dollar operation in Labrador.

North Atlantic Iron Corporation is involved in a 400-million dollar iron sand mine and pig iron plant in Happy Valley-Goose Bay. President Francis McKenzie says power from Muskrat Falls is crucial to the operation going forward.

North Atlantic Iron Corporation is a joint venture of Nova Scotia based Grand River Iron Sands, Petmin Limited from South Africa, and Vancouver's Cardero Resource Corporation.

McKenzie says they plan to use the iron sands of Happy Valley-Goose Bay to make a refined pig iron product used in steel making. It's their long term goal to have access to the power required to establish an iron-making plant in that area.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=30243

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 4:08 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^That's an impressive development for Goose Bay, and would even be for St.John's.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 4:30 PM

That looks like a very nice development for Goose Bay.

In other news regarding Labrador:

Quote:
The federal and provincial governments have announced a joint investment of $85,057,332 to begin widening and paving the Trans-Labrador Highway between Red Bay and Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

About 1,200 kilometres long, the Trans-Labrador Highway is the region’s primary public road, crossing some of northeastern Canada’s most remote terrain.

“Our government is proud to support these significant highway improvements that will create numerous local jobs, drive economic growth and strengthen our communities,” said Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Peter Penashue and member of parliament for Labrador. “The Trans-Labrador Highway is a vital link for Labradorians, our economy and our tourism industry. These upgrades will help connect workers with jobs, products with markets and travellers with destinations.”

Provincial Transportation and Works Minister Paul Davis said a few short years ago, the final metres of gravel for the Trans-Labrador Highway were placed to create the first continuous connection across Labrador. “Today we take the next step towards the completion of this great project by continuing to widen and pave the highway from Happy Valley-Goose Bay to Red Bay. This is one of the largest infrastructure projects ever undertaken in the province, and a key component of our government’s unwavering commitment to the people of Labrador,” Davis said.

Under the Building Canada plan, the federal and provincial governments have partnered to provide strategic funding for priority infrastructure needs. Through a Provincial-Territorial Base Fund, the Government of Canada is providing $175 million to strengthen infrastructure in Newfoundland and Labrador

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...d-resurfaced/1

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
That looks like a very nice development for Goose Bay.

In other news regarding Labrador:

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...d-resurfaced/1
Wow Goose Bay may get it's own thread eventually lol with all the stuff that is about to happen there!

MUN is trying to establish a campus there as well!
http://www.mun.ca/labradorinstitute/
as it stands the town has 7,500 people and I wonder how fast it will grow!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Valley-Goose_Bay

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 3:14 AM

I have a lot of family in Goose Bay, looks like I'll have to visit once all that gets going. Actually, I had heard some of the talk surrounding such a development but really had no idea it was that large in scope. With Muskrat Falls picking up, Goose Bay is going to be a big location for growth, which is definitely exciting to see.

I doubt we'll see a MUN campus up there any time soon though. Memorial offers similar programs in St. Anthony and Marystown in co-operation with CNA, students can complete courses for credit at MUN before deciding if they want to continue and transfer to either Grenfell or St. John's. It's a terrific initiative and improves the educational opportunities available in remote/isolated smaller centres. They also have the Frecker Institute in St. Pierre.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:36 PM

Hebron module contract awarded to Marystown shipyard

Quote:
The contract to build a Hebron module has been awarded to the Kiewit fabrication yard in Marystown.

The project will take two years and could create up to 500 high-paying jobs.

Activity at the yard is expected to ramp up soon with construction beginning as early as March.

Landing the contract has injected some much-needed optimism into Marystown – and the Burin Peninsula.

Marystown Mayor Sam Synard hopes the Hebron contract will bring people home to stay. Several thousand Burin Peninsula residents regularly commute to and from Alberta.

"This job now at the Cow Head site, and some at the shipyard in Marystown as well you know, will take some of that strain off," said Synard. "It will make us you know, sort of a 'king of our own destiny' to some degree, so people have the choice to go away to Alberta versus working in Marystown."

Shipyard union representative Wayne Brake hopes the work doesn't follow what he terms 'the usual pattern.'

"Usually a job was finished and then you're down perhaps for a year, a year and a half," said Brake. "I hope that [doesn't] happen after this job. People are still a bit skeptical until they hear that something else is following this, right?"

For businessman Jack Brenton, Tuesday's announcement was music to his ears. Brenton expects direct work for his company through construction of the module and he's excited about the economic impact that work will have on the area.

"It creates a spin-off in the economy for supplies for the project," said Brenton. "It creates labour, it enables families to, you know, workers to come back home and to work for a period of a couple of years, stay with their families instead of going out west."

Mixed reaction
News of the module work has brought mixed reaction from some local business owners who anticipate issues with the economic boost.

John Pittman owns a tattoo shop in the Marystown Mall. Pittman has concerns that the oil money will create a 'mini Fort Mac' in Marystown – complete with the good and the bad.

"Yes there's a lot of local people going to be coming home to go to work at the yard," said Pittman. "But with more people here, more money here, you know [the] crime rate does increase, the drug problem increases."

Shipyard workers will need a place to live, putting pressure on the local housing market.

"It's also bad for the rental situation, the housing market here in Marystown, rental properties, the rent is going sky high," said Pittman

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ule-01-31.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:15 AM

I don't know where to post this outside the St. John's forum

Normally we wouldn't post our economic announcements here but this is a BIG one!

Discovery of Labrador deep-water basins announced

Quote:
Nalcor Energy is excited about the discovery of three new deep-water basins in the Labrador Sea — basins that could contain oil.

President Ed Martin brought the big news to the Newfoundland and Labrador Oil and Gas Industries Association's annual general meeting Thursday. He said seismic and satellite surveys reveal the new basins.

Martin said the preliminary work is done, now the only way to know for sure is to drill.

"We have not discovered oil, we have not discovered gas," said Martin. "What we have done is discovered the most important piece to move into the next step, which is we've proven the existence of structures that have a reasonably high probability that they could hold those kinds of hydrocarbons. These are big basins, big potential."

Getting data to oil companies
Martin said the next step is to get the data to oil companies. He added that several have already shown interest.

"Our job now is to find as many companies in the world as possible, get this data in their hands," said Martin. "Once they see it, have a scheduled sale so that not only one or two are in bidding, but we hopefully can get eight, 10 or 12 companies bidding on this prospective land."

NOIA president Bob Cadigan says the news has created quite a buzz in the industry.

"It's a game changer," said Cadigan. "It quadruples the size of the prospective areas we have offshore."

Potential in the long-term
Cadigan said the discovery could lead to big things.

"I think for a lot of our members they're just starting to really realize now how much more potential this will give us in the long-term," said Cadigan. "So if you think about it we have three, four with Hebron, producing operations in the Jeanne d'Arc Basin — that's just one basin. We've discovered four new ones off the coast of Labrador. So it's really important.
"

But collecting the data has not been cheap - costing the provincial government between $26 and $30 million.

Martin said Nalcor will spend five million more to further interpret the data. He plans to give an update at the NOIA conference sometime this summer.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ins-01-31.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:02 PM

^^Would it make more sense to have a General Newfoundland and Labrador thread for stuff like this. Change the name of this one basically? Just a thought...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 4:14 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
^^Would it make more sense to have a General Newfoundland and Labrador thread for stuff like this. Change the name of this one basically? Just a thought...
I can change the thread title to Rural Newfoundland & Labrador if that makes it easier.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I can change the thread title to Rural Newfoundland & Labrador if that makes it easier.
I think the main idea behind this thread was a project thread for all the other municipalities in NL, if we call it rural NL then that's not entirely true because places like corner brook are considered regional urban centres

The last post about labrador I kind of wanted to bring it to an atlantic canada economics thread (which doesn't exist)

So maybe we can change the name of this one to "General Newfoundland and Labrador project thread" ?

or we could call it "wadda ya at beyond the overpass?" hahahahha jk

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 4:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I like the idea of a General Newfoundland and Labrador Projects thread. If any particular town in NL (such as Corner Brook) has enough to talk about, then you could also create other threads like a Corner Brook Developments thread.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I like the idea of a General Newfoundland and Labrador Projects thread. If any particular town in NL (such as Corner Brook) has enough to talk about, then you could also create other threads like a Corner Brook Developments thread.
I think that sounds good. Just "Newfoundland and Labrador Projects" sounds good to me. I think it will be understood that is basically for discussion of projects OUTSIDE of St. John's or large scale developments that will have an impacts on the province (i.e., oil and gas, hydro and mining developments). What do you think Mods?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:
I think that sounds good. Just "Newfoundland and Labrador Projects" sounds good to me. I think it will be understood that is basically for discussion of projects OUTSIDE of St. John's. What do you think Mods?
sounds good to moi

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 7:04 PM
ハルウララ

Thread title updated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces