HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 9:48 PM

Hawaii photots

ALoha from Hawaii. I started a thread a couple weeks ago but I wanted to mix it up with a variety of Hawaii photos I took over the last decade. I'm a professional photographer in Hawaii. I've been doing surf photography, wave photography, aerial photography and a lot of just landscape stuff. The difference between surf photography and wave photography is that surf photography is usually with surfers and wave photography is empty barrels. These types of photos are my favorite. I teach several photography classes but wave photography is definitely my favorite. I can't explain the feeling of being in the water while the sun is rising and capturing these awesome waves with the lighting so perfect. If you guys enjoy these images, I'll share one of my favorite shots I took a few years ago called "The Shot" which took me nearly 6 months to capture.

Would love feedback... Also, if you guys are looking for a particular shot of Hawaii, let me know and I'll try and post it (if I have it). I've got hundreds of thousands of photos in storage and I always enjoy sharing them. If I don't have a particular shot, give me some ideas and I'll try to get the shot. Either in the water or by drone.

Mahalo

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 12:33 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Great pics! My husband and I took a trip there in 2009 and would love to get back. Due to time constraints, we stayed on Oahu but really enjoyed it, especially the neighborhood around the southern edge of Diamondhead and the North Shore. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see more. Mahalo!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 1:33 AM
Up Up and Away

Yes, that would be nice!!!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:38 AM

Those are perfect! Good job! The wall of a wave is so much more intimidating than an equally tall building!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:42 AM
Posh

Whoa, cool shots!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 5:35 PM

second to last is bananas

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 6:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

very nice -- my request is to book us for some shots of the new honolulu rail transit system danno!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Great pics! My husband and I took a trip there in 2009 and would love to get back. Due to time constraints, we stayed on Oahu but really enjoyed it, especially the neighborhood around the southern edge of Diamondhead and the North Shore. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see more. Mahalo!
Thanks, it's definitely paradise here. I'll definitely post more

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:04 AM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
second to last is bananas
Thanks man, long story regarding that shot, CNN featured a story about it.
To make a long story short, I was trying to capture the holy grail of wave photos (7 yrs ago) which is the sunrise inside the barrel of the wave. After nearly 6 months of trying and waking up at 4:30am, I was ready to give up. The last day I woke up so tired and I was going to give up, I was holding my head up still half asleep while the alarm was going off and I said to myself "I'm tired and I'm done.." but I forced myself and that morning during sunrise, I saw a perfect size wave coming towards me, I swam out and held my arm up to get inside the barrel of the wave and snapped a few photos. This was one of the sequence shots. The shot BEFORE this one is my favorite photo and it's called "The Shot", pretty self explanatory I guess.

I should post that photo, out of all the photos I've taken, it is definitely my favorite one.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:12 PM

Stunning pictures, can't take my eyes of them... I dream to visit Hawaii, maybe someday I will make my dream come true!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky.ralph View Post
Stunning pictures, can't take my eyes of them... I dream to visit Hawaii, maybe someday I will make my dream come true!
I admit, Hawaii homes and living in paradise is very expensive but you can definitely take a vacation here if you budget correctly. Use Google Flight to find a flight from where you live to Honolulu, HI. Then set an alert, it will email you when the prices go down. I found some pretty affordable deals from Honolulu to LA for a couple hundred dollars round trip.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I'll keep adding more photos...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos