HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 2:06 PM
Moran supreme

For those being critical of this builder or that builder, this is a line of thought that is flawed in many ways as the builder often has no control of how a building is built or often even the materials being used. The architects and design people control most of this, they can and will dictate that materials used, the design to be used, where the materials are to be sourced from,etc, etc and the builder just has to put it all together. I've seen some incredible stuff at the site I've been working in for over 7 months and none of it would be the builder's mistakes - it was the owners and the architects and their initial direction and incredulous changes along the way. But all people will remember is the builder's name and point fingers there - people do not know any different and can't be faulted for that but the real story is often quite a bit different then most realize. Case in point, at the site where i'm working, some walls are now seeing their 8th and 9th coats of paint - all due to the architect and designers changing their minds on color choices yet some would tag this as the builder screwing up.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
For those being critical of this builder or that builder, this is a line of thought that is flawed in many ways as the builder often has no control of how a building is built or often even the materials being used. The architects and design people control most of this, they can and will dictate that materials used, the design to be used, where the materials are to be sourced from,etc, etc and the builder just has to put it all together.
I guess it depends what you mean by builder. If you are meaning the company that owns the overall project, then I disagree with you. Because the architect works for that company in that case, and the architect will develop against whatever guidelines set for them. It is like going to Harvey's - where you are choosing what you want and how much you want. The architect is a profession and respectable, but it is a service industry. The tail should not be wagging the dog.

If, on the other hand, by builder you are meaning the actual person swinging the hammer, or the company the developer outsources to, to execute the drawings created, then I agree with you generally speaking. Even then, some people know what they are doing and others don't. There are situations where the actual company contracted to put things together skimps on sound barrier materials here and there. This type of thing is not uncommon.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Storm View Post
Seems like someone bought into a home ownership model they didn't understand...
I think the complaintant fully understood the home ownership model, however she probably doesn't understand the financial model of condo ownership. That is the developer claims low condo fees on first few years, but once the condo is 5-10 years old, the condo fees must skyrocket to pay for the eventual maintenance on the exterior items.

Furthermore, the complaintants finances are probably such that she will never be able to afford the high condo fees, so what she really hoping for is that the roof and exterior renocpvstions will occur after she is long gone, otherwise the condo special assessments will bankrupt her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Judging from the court ruling, which went against the condo, it seems she was indeed being bullied. The article also highlighted that this is the plight of tens of thousands across the country - coast to coast. From the article it seems, if you own a condo, you're either getting screwed over, or you don't know it yet.
There was no court ruling, the parties reached a confidential agreement that was settled through mediation.

I don't think she was bullied, at least from the article there is no signs of bullying. Bullying is not forcing someone to abide by the corporation Bylaws. The only way someone could claim bullying is if they were singled out for selective enforcement. There was no mention in the CBC article that the the complaintant had selective enforcement from the condo board.

Here is my guess at what was occurring. The complainant lived on the ground floor. She was disputing the practicality of having rules meant for balconies higher up. Planter sizes and number of chairs would be restrictions due to maximum load of the balcony.

I also hazard a guess the complaintant is not well liked by some members of the condo association following the vote to not increase condo fees. However wading into a big divisive issue will have consequences to the relationship of your neighbours.

Quote:
The incident from the article is bullying. I agree.
I would agree the incident was bullying if the condo board passed Bylaws and then immediately used them against the complaintant.

Also I have a problem with the term bullying as it's used in the media, and especially by Erica Johnson articles. Bullying is not enforcing laws of the land. Rather I believe bullying should only apply to instances where the law is silent or where the perp is attempting to coerce people into going against the law.

For my kids K-4 pink shirt day activities, the teachers and student leadership group changed the bully message with kindness, including lessons on how to be kind to one another. The underlying problem was that the term bullying was being used too loosely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
I can hear every single footstep my upstairs neighbor takes. I'm constantly cranking my TV to try and drown out their footsteps, I'm embarrassed to have people over cause of the noise and I have to wake up whenever they are up. I haven't been able to sleep past 7 am on a weekday (even though I work at 9) since moving in. Worst of all is they have a kid who likes to run around and jump. I've had to start routinely checking my light fixtures cause they come lose from the rattling.

The worst part is they're not doing anything wrong. They're just walking around and letting their kid occasionally run around so I feel dumb filing a complaint or anything.
Do you live in a building that is 3-8 years old and has wood or laminate floors?

It was common around the time mentioned for the builder/developer to have insufficient sound proofing in the subfloor. Most wood frame building of that era have this problem.

I was involved with a company doing a five floor wood frame development and the interior designer really wanted a wood floor option, however the builder said no because it would require complete redesign to account for the extra height of the subfloor. The building would have to be 2-4 meters higher.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
I think the complaintant fully understood the home ownership model, however she probably doesn't understand the financial model of condo ownership. That is the developer claims low condo fees on first few years, but once the condo is 5-10 years old, the condo fees must skyrocket to pay for the eventual maintenance on the exterior items.

Furthermore, the complaintants finances are probably such that she will never be able to afford the high condo fees, so what she really hoping for is that the roof and exterior renocpvstions will occur after she is long gone, otherwise the condo special assessments will bankrupt her.
If she fully understood the home ownership model... then how can she understand the financial model of condo ownership? I consider that aspect key in understanding the condo home ownership model.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 9:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If she fully understood the home ownership model... then how can she understand the financial model of condo ownership? I consider that aspect key in understanding the condo home ownership model.
Understanding the "ownership" model of a condo is absolutely critical. A condo is really half-way between ownership and renting. You actually own zero of the land in almost all cases. You also own very little of the decision making. You do, however, own all of the liability of the vast number of other people that will make decisions on your behalf. Special assessments anyone?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 5:43 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
For those being critical of this builder or that builder, this is a line of thought that is flawed in many ways as the builder often has no control of how a building is built or often even the materials being used. The architects and design people control most of this, they can and will dictate that materials used, the design to be used, where the materials are to be sourced from,etc, etc and the builder just has to put it all together. I've seen some incredible stuff at the site I've been working in for over 7 months and none of it would be the builder's mistakes - it was the owners and the architects and their initial direction and incredulous changes along the way. But all people will remember is the builder's name and point fingers there - people do not know any different and can't be faulted for that but the real story is often quite a bit different then most realize. Case in point, at the site where i'm working, some walls are now seeing their 8th and 9th coats of paint - all due to the architect and designers changing their minds on color choices yet some would tag this as the builder screwing up.
Who changes paint colours after the paint has been applied???? That is insane.

When I was in development management, I had an easy answer to these kind of requests: TFL (too f***ing late). It came from everywhere: interior designer, salespeople, realtors, subtrades, purchasers, etc. Unless it is an actual error in design, or a change that a subtrade points out that makes no sense and can save money and time, it was a no.

"We should change the striker plate design"- Nope, they're ordered already -TFL
"We should have gone with different floor transitions"- Nope, TFL, ordered already.
"Can I change the wall in my bedroom closet" - Nope TFL, building is framed.
"These light switches should be reversed"- Nope, TFL.
"Can we add a deck?"- Seriously? We're past drywall stage. No, TFL.
"We would like to change the cabinet layout." - No, cabinets were ordered two weeks ago. TFL

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 8:19 PM
BANNED

The CONdo lifestyle

Condo clash: Court battles, forgery allegations and questions over who controls
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/t...onto-1.4113053
Quote:
Owners and property managers at several downtown condominium buildings are accusing a group of individuals of hijacking their boards to get control of multi-million dollar budgets and reserve funds.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 8:35 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

"However, under provincial rules, elected board members don't have to own a unit in the building."

That's ridiculous.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 9:32 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
[QUOTE=DizzyEdge;7805998]"However, under provincial rules, elected board members don't have to own a unit in the building."

That's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

In some circumstances yes, however what about renters? Without this rule a renter would not be able to serve on a condo board.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 9:43 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

[QUOTE=lubicon;7806072]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
"However, under provincial rules, elected board members don't have to own a unit in the building."

That's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

In some circumstances yes, however what about renters? Without this rule a renter would not be able to serve on a condo board.
That's a tricky one honestly.

I don't think renters should be kept off the board. I also think it would be problematic if the entire board had no unit owners.

Perhaps that rule should be amended that board members must have their primary residence in the building and/or own a unit in the building, the first part covering renters.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 10:37 PM
BANNED

Condo corporations are effectively a 4th level of government, says one expert

Is your condo board above board?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cond...tips-1.4121139
Quote:
Condominium governance is in the spotlight after an investigation by CBC Toronto reporters unveiled questionable practices

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:12 AM
BANNED

Condo owners getting shafted in Surrey. Board gives out $40K fines per month:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3662339/su...-strata-fines/

It is a sad day when you think you finally own your own place, but nothing is yours and you are but a slave.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Another example of you don't get what you think with a condo. In this case, a condo board decided to lease out common spaces:
http://www.canadianlawyermag.com/leg...king-case.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:18 AM
BANNED

http://calgaryherald.com/life/homes/...epper-cochrane

Quote:
“I really did like the inner-city,” Allman says. “But so far, I’ve now played more road hockey and kick ball with Raine out on our little street, with the kids in the neighbourhood, than at our old place.”

In Heritage Hills, “The kids across the laneway actually bought sticks after playing with us,” Wilde says.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:19 AM
BANNED

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/apos-fough...034525331.html

Quote:
Service Alberta Minister Stephanie McLean says she's heard of costly legal battles after people were evicted for not following bylaws and she hopes to set up a tribunal.

"I've also heard stories of condo boards perceiving themselves to be swindled by property managers, right now they're not regulated, that whole industry."

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 6:34 PM

We should rename this thread 'Suburbia's Propoganda Push for the Suburbs'

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 8:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
We should rename this thread 'Suburbia's Propoganda Push for the Suburbs'
S*%t like that (false non-constructive statements like yours) is why people leave this forum.

This particular thread is not about where in the city one lives, but rather, housing choices. Condo apartments, low-rise multi-family units, semi-detached duplexes and single family homes can be found anywhere - inner city, or outside of the inner city.

While there may have been some posts by people (such as yourself) that are about "suburbs" that is not the intent and I think we should not project such non-existent "vs' feelings when they do not exist.

Last edited by suburbia; Aug 25, 2017 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
S*%t like that (false non-constructive statements like yours) is why people leave this forum.

This particular thread is not about where in the city one lives, but rather, housing choices. Condo apartments, low-rise multi-family units, semi-detached duplexes and single family homes can be found anywhere - inner city, or outside of the inner city.

While there may have been some posts by people (such as yourself) that are about "suburbs" that is not the intent and I think we should not project such non-existent "vs' feelings when they do not exist.
For once I agree with you. I thought the purpose of this thread was to discuss where you live and why. Not to shit on a person when their lifestyle is different from what your own is. I've lived downtown and I've lived in the burbs....it all depends on where I am in life with family, work and other priorities. Neither is inherently better than the other. Just better for the point I was at in life.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:39 AM
BANNED

This is somewhat tangential, but given one aspect of the discussion on this thread is density, thought this coverage from the UK about Hong Kong living might be of interest to some:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...horror-my-week

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:45 PM
Bla Bla

Moving to Calgary next month with my sister, we are living in a small condo that's like 2 block away from the calgary's tower .
And I'm planning on to look for a student job in there too, any suggestion around the city centre or belt line area ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues