HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Think of the land that would free up for development.... it may not be a bad idea and would free up all the heavy traffic on the peninsula.
I wonder if there would be some cost advantages of not needing to remediate the oil refinery site. Just pave it over and put a port on top. Is that a kosher thing to do? Any environmental engineers in the house?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I wonder if there would be some cost advantages of not needing to remediate the oil refinery site. Just pave it over and put a port on top. Is that a kosher thing to do? Any environmental engineers in the house?
Probably a good way to keep all those petrochemicals out from leaching out of the ground into the water table. Put a cap over the soil then pave over that.

I have mentioned this a while ago, but 20 years ago a prominent local engineer who did a lot of work with the Port showed me a large artist's conception of the Halterm site re-purposed into residential and light commercial. Looked like Marina Del Rey transplanted to Halifax. Would be fabulous and makes a lot of sense, as long as they reserve a ROW for the new bridge/tunnel across the harbour we will eventually need.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 6:50 PM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 9:06 PM

Stats are out for the first quarter for the Halifax port. Hopefully this upward trend will continue for many more years.

(source: http://portofhalifax.ca/cargo/statistics/ )

Container Throughput at HPA Facilities (TEU)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 10:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They need to get those Q1 cruise ship passenger numbers up! All those people wasting their time going to the Bahamas in February when they could be visiting Halifax.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
They need to get those Q1 cruise ship passenger numbers up! All those people wasting their time going to the Bahamas in February when they could be visiting Halifax.
I wonder if they will ever get a ship to home port in
Halifax.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy