HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
I noticed GoodLife at Grant Park is nearing completion. Seemed like they were unloading equipment yesterday
July 26 grand opening

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
In a slang way yes All new Macs stores are being rebranded to Circle K and existing stores will start rebranding shortly.
I wonder if they're doing that in all markets? I don't think there's been a Circle K store here in 15 years, seems like it might be smart to leave it as Mac's here, especially with the dominance of 7-11. There's an entire generation of people here who won't even know it's not just called "K" - never smart to have a name people can't pronounce.

Nissan dealers were upset that Nissan didn't change the name of the new "Qashqai" for North America, fearing it would hurt sales. Nissan seriously considered changing the name, but then decided it'd be better to have a global nameplate.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:10 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Nissan dealers were upset that Nissan didn't change the name of the new "Qashqai" for North America, fearing it would hurt sales. Nissan seriously considered changing the name, but then decided it'd be better to have a global nameplate.
Nissan oddly decided to go with the global name, Qashqai, in Canada, but they're calling it the Rogue Sport in the US. Which is confusing to some extent because it is not the same vehicle as the Rogue, it's a step down in terms of size.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
I wonder if they're doing that in all markets? I don't think there's been a Circle K store here in 15 years, seems like it might be smart to leave it as Mac's here, especially with the dominance of 7-11. There's an entire generation of people here who won't even know it's not just called "K" - never smart to have a name people can't pronounce.

When I think of Circle K I think of them back when they were in the Shell stations (or at least the one by my place in EK on Henderson)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:57 AM
Spiritual

Ya, it might confuse some. Circle K = Shell gas station convenience store.

Some will think, did Shell buy out Mac's "Couche Tard"?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post

Ya, it might confuse some. Circle K = Shell gas station convenience store.

Some will think, did Shell buy out Mac's "Couche Tard"?
Probably not as Shell Canada has not had the Circle K stores for many years and none of their stores currently have that brand.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:57 PM

Outside of the short term impact Circle K has better global brand potential than Macs as it is fairly language neutral, especially if you use the circle shape instead of the word and a single three line character inside that shape. The questions are will Couche Tard rebrand all their properties to that name and what happens to Wink (aka the Macs Owl logo).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 4:53 AM

Oddly enough I noticed the Macs on Arlington was renovated and is now called Ur's Convenience, no idea when it was sold or why.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 6:04 AM

Mac's and 7-11 both have no chase policies, meaning that if someone is stealing something, and decides to run or get aggressive when caught, staff are to just let them go. When there is a lot of theft at some locations, they often just close them to prevent major losses. That's why there's a 7-16 on Sargent I think it is. lol.

I was at a 7-11 in Regina that had such a bad theft problem, they didn't keep more than 2-3 of each item, even chocolate bars, out at a time, and kept bare minimum stock on drinks. They even made you pay for slurpees before giving you a cup.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:54 AM

Well Looks Likes Loblaw Is Bring Mobil Gas Stations to Winnipeg http://http://www.supermarketnews.co...s-station-deal

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:43 AM
Spiritual

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 2:23 PM

Intersting play as Mobil is under the same company as Esso, but more popular in the US. Here, lot's of the Esso's have Mobil service bays... wonder if that will change, or if we'll see the brands merge?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Intersting play as Mobil is under the same company as Esso, but more popular in the US. Here, lot's of the Esso's have Mobil service bays... wonder if that will change, or if we'll see the brands merge?
Esso has been selling the Mobil Oil products after shutting down their oil brand so that's why you see the Mobil logo on some service bays.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Esso has been selling the Mobil Oil products after shutting down their oil brand so that's why you see the Mobil logo on some service bays.
Right, so I'm curious if we'll eventually see the brands merge, as it's the same company.

Kind of like Future Shop folding into Best Buy.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:56 AM

Esso has more brand recognition here in Canada than Mobil does so I would say probably not.

Also the Mobil brand is licensed to a different company than the one that has the Esso brand. According to the National Post the Esso brand was sold to 5 different companies in blocks across Canada. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle29084354/

I recall being told by an ex Esso dealer that the Pioneer Energy division of Parkland Fuel Corp has most of the Esso stations in Winnipeg. If the Pioneer name sounds familiar they had two of their own branded gas bars in Winnipeg at one time. One on Main St and one on Panet Rd

Old Posted Today, 1:54 AM

Interesting. I remember Pioneer, I think there's still one north of the city somewhere, can't remember which highway.. 6 maybe?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan