HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:10 AM

Quote:
WestCoast:

Delta Announces PDX-LHR!!!!

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300276758.html
Wow, what a total surprise. Is Delta just making a placeholder move because slots are so precious at Heathrow? Like flying a seasonal route that may lose money for a few years is preferable to losing that airport slot? Or do they give those landing and takeoff slots to VA with the SEA-LHR route?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 11:53 AM

^^^

Not sure where the slot is coming from, but, I'm not an expert at tall that with Heathrow.

--
Aside from slots, it's fairly clever from my point of view now that it has sunk in:

1) DL likely saw the seasonal additions to Portland from Condor and Icelandair and realized, PDX can support more of that. They wanted a piece of that.

4x/weekly summer service on LHR is pretty low risk, I mean, it's basically a sure thing during peak season.

If it does well, they will probably expand the season more each year.
(I have little faith it could ever go daily/year round, but, who knows)

2) It's preemptive against BA doing it. Cuts them off at the pass

3) Reinforces corporate needs/contracts in Portland. Granted, Nike/Intel and those guys aren't going to love summer only, 4x weekly. But, it's better than nothing.

If the big boys buy lots of seats up front, and use the service that way... I can see Delta expanding.

4) Alaska feeds a lot of international service PDX-SEA-XXX.
(any time I go to london, I do PDX-SEA-LHR). So, this will actually impact AS a little bit, and pull some feed that might be on BA or their own DL flight. Not a ton, but some.

5) it shows that they mean business in PDX. Again it's just summer seasonal.
But it's a 10 hour flight out of non-hub airport.

That's a big move.

--
I'd add, also, that I think Delta had a 'go-big or go-home' moment.

They saw competitors creeping in, the Port talking to other airlines....
They've got a lot of the international market to themselves, so, they probably figured it was low risk to add some more.

I also never expected this, but, in retrospect it does make sense.
I would imagine BA will stay away for now.

More than anything it shows a maturing market for our airport.
More demand = more service.

Do I think Delta will start Paris now?
Well, I expected it before....

So who knows.

This add is 1 year in advance, so there is time this fall for them to do CDG.
But, that would have to be the end of additions for a while for us.

Let the market continue to grow and soak up the seats.

--
For Asia, I agree, the NRT hub is close to the end of the line with Delta.

I could see, in the future: NRT-PDX on JAL (now an Alaska partner)
and perhaps a PVG-PDX on Delta....

That's harder to predict. Perhaps in 2017 we'll get another surprise

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 3:43 AM

This is great news. I'm a little surprised PDX is serving more European than Asian destinations, but I guess it's whatever the demand dictates.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:10 AM

Interesting. From Londonairtravel.com:

Delta Air Lines to launch new route from London Heathrow to Portland, Oregon from 26 May 2017

This is also a route that had been a likely contender for a new direct service by British Airways with its Boeing 787 Dreamliner and Delta’s announcement may prompt a rethink on BA’s part. BA may either launch this with a near daily year round service route, or choose another US city that is not already served from London.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Interesting. From Londonairtravel.com:

Delta Air Lines to launch new route from London Heathrow to Portland, Oregon from 26 May 2017

This is also a route that had been a likely contender for a new direct service by British Airways with its Boeing 787 Dreamliner and Delta’s announcement may prompt a rethink on BA’s part. BA may either launch this with a near daily year round service route, or choose another US city that is not already served from London.

So pretty much a Delta preemptive strike against European competition, add a flight before they can. Only 4 days a week and seasonal protecting the Amsterdam route as the main European connection from PDX?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:23 PM

Alaska Airlines Announces Daily nonstop flights from Portland to Orlando, Florida

Daily starting March 16, 2017

Available for booking on alaskaair.com.

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...622_045810.asp

It's about time we get a nonstop to Florida. This route operated a number of years ago on Alaska, but had horrible arrive/depart times.

Last edited by Tanaka07; Jun 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 4:54 PM

Definitely intended to take business away from Delta.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 5:42 PM

I love the times! It isn't a red-eye on the eastbound. My clients don't really like the red-eyes.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 6:21 PM

PenAir starting Daily nonstop PDX-Klamath Falls, Oregon service

2x daily flights start October 5, 2016.

PenAir, one of Alaska’s largest regional airlines, will initiate twice-daily, week day service between Portland, OR and the Crater Lake-Klamath Regional airport in Klamath Falls, OR, and one flight per day on Saturdays and Sundays.

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/P...llsService.pdf

http://www.penair.com/destinations/klamath-falls-or

Last edited by Tanaka07; Jul 1, 2016 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 9:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
PenAir starting Daily nonstop PDX-Klamath Falls, Oregon service

2x daily flights start October 5, 2016.

PenAir, one of Alaska’s largest regional airlines, will initiate twice-daily, week day service between Portland, OR and the Crater Lake-Klamath Regional airport in Klamath Falls, OR, and one flight per day on Saturdays and Sundays.

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/P...llsService.pdf

http://www.penair.com/destinations/klamath-falls-or
Are Alaska and PenAir code sharing on the flights out of PDX?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 5:07 PM

Alaska Airlines announces new nonstop flights between Portland, Oregon and Sun Valley, Idaho

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...prclt=MoX90n6B

Twice-weekly seasonal flights from Portland to begin Dec. 17, 2016, with additional flying from Seattle during peak seasons
7/13/2016 5:01 a.m.

SEATTLE — Portland, Oregon ski and sun enthusiasts will soon have a direct connection to some of the West's best slopes, when Alaska Airlines launches twice-weekly, seasonal nonstop flights to Sun Valley, Idaho later this year.

"With our well-timed mid-morning flight, customers can enjoy a locally sourced breakfast at the airport in the morning, and be on the lift by the afternoon," said John Kirby, Alaska's vice president of capacity planning. "With convenient, twice-weekly round-trip flights, your next family ski vacation is just a booking away."

Dates

City pair

Departs

Arrives

Frequency

Dec. 17, 2016 – April 1, 2017 and June 14 – Sept. 16, 2017

Portland - Sun Valley

9:40 a.m.

12:12 p.m.

Wednesday, Saturday

Dec. 17, 2016 – April 1, 2017 and June 14 – Sept. 16, 2017

Sun Valley – Portland

12:47 p.m.

1:41 p.m.

Wednesday, Saturday

All times based on local time zones.

Alaska offers more flights than any other airline from Portland International Airport, with 122 average daily departures to 48 destinations. Portland is among the top five origin markets for visitors to Sun Valley, and the new flight will be Alaska's first nonstop flight from the Rose City to a destination primarily known for its ski resort.

"We believe this new Alaska Airlines nonstop service from Portland will be well used by visitor, business and local resident travelers and expect it to expand in the future," said Carol Waller, director of Fly Sun Valley Alliance, the non-profit organization engaged in strategic air service development efforts for the Sun Valley area.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 5:21 PM

I always get excited when you post in this thread, Tanaka. I'm disappointed in you this time!

Nonetheless, another good add for PDX. Not "sexy", but good.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I always get excited when you post in this thread, Tanaka. I'm disappointed in you this time!

Nonetheless, another good add for PDX. Not "sexy", but good.
Maybe you'll like this one...

Announcement of new direct air cargo service connecting Portland International Airport & Asia

Any ideas on who will be opening up nonstop cargo flights between Portland and Asia? Cathay Pacific Cargo to Hong Kong perhaps?

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/APDXCargoMA40.pdf

Announcement of new direct air cargo service connecting Portland International Airport & Asia
WHAT: Representatives of a major international air cargo company will announce new direct air cargo service connecting Oregon and Southwest Washington businesses and shippers with Asia via Portland International Airport.
WHEN: Thursday, June 14, 2016; 10:30 a.m.
WHERE: Portland International Airport Conference Center; Multnomah rooms
(Located upstairs from the clock tower in the airport’s Oregon Market.)
WHO: International air cargo company representatives; Keith Leavitt, Port of Portland Chief Commercial Officer; Oregon businesses, shippers and freight forwarders
BACKGROUND: New direct air cargo service to Asia will grow business and support trade in the region, serving large and small companies alike. Oregon’s six largest air cargo export markets, accounting for just over half of the value of all air exports from Oregon ($4.3 billion), are in East Asia. Envisioned cargo will range from high tech products, apparel and footwear to agricultural goods such as blueberries, cherries, Dungeness crab and oysters.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 10:38 PM

Much better.

I wish it was passenger service, but this is still great news!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Much better.

I wish it was passenger service, but this is still great news!
It's only a matter of time before more Asia passenger service is announced for PDX, IMO. We have a healthy growing economy, growing population base, not to mention an airport that is breaking records consecutively. As Alaska continues to grow PDX domestically, I think this improves our chances of gaining additional international air service due to its numerous airline partnerships with international airlines such as Korean Air, Cathay Pacific and now Japan Airlines. Korean Air passenger service nonstop to Seoul would be the most profitable in my opinion due to feed in both PDX and Seoul being one of the largest hubs in Asia.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:10 PM

Cathay Pacific Cargo adds Portland service

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-portland.html

Cathay Pacific expands cargo presence in the Americas with new freighter service to Portland

14 Jul 2016

Cathay Pacific Airways today announced an expansion of its freighter services in the Americas with the addition of a twice-weekly scheduled service to Portland in Oregon, the United States, from 3 November 2016, subject to government approval. Portland will be Cathay Pacific’s 18th cargo station in the Americas.

The new Portland service will operate on a Hong Kong - Anchorage - Los Angeles - Portland - Anchorage - Hong Kong routing every Thursday and Saturday, using Cathay Pacific’s newest and biggest freighter, the Boeing 747-8F. The service will meet growing demand to move a wide range of commodities from the Pacific Northwest and the United States to various parts of Asia, providing shippers with greater choice and flexibility when connecting to Cathay Pacific’s international cargo network through the Hong Kong hub.

The Boeing 747-8F aircraft offers more cargo space to carry the anticipated high volumes of semi-finished footwear and apparel, electronics, and perishables from Portland and its catchment area into Asia. Portland is also one of the fast growing hubs for e-Commerce related shipments for the Pacific Northwest region.

Cathay Pacific was the first Asia Pacific airline to take delivery of the Boeing 747-8F in 2011 and currently has 13 of this aircraft type in its cargo fleet. The Boeing 747-8F employs innovative technologies to bring about significant efficiency improvements to the airline’s ultra-long-haul freighter services, particularly on North American routes, and at the same time reduce the environmental impact of its operations.

The state-of-the-art Cathay Pacific Cargo Terminal at Hong Kong International Airport offers a broad spectrum of logistical solutions for the airfreight industry. Combining advanced technology with streamlined work flows to set new service benchmarks for the industry, customers benefit from extended cut-off times, last-minute cargo acceptance and reduced connection times for transhipments.

Cathay Pacific Director Cargo Simon Large said: “The Americas is a very important market for Cathay Pacific and we are delighted to add Portland to our expanding freighter network. We are committed to providing the best cargo services connecting Asia to this important manufacturing region, and at the same time boosting Hong Kong’s standing as one of the world’s key international airfreight hubs.”

Details of Cathay Pacific’s new Portland (PDX) freighter service are as follows:

Hong Kong (HKG) – Anchorage (ANC) – Los Angeles (LAX) – Portland (PDX) – Anchorage (ANC) – Hong Kong (HKG)

Winter timing (all times local):

Flight No

Routing

Departure

Arrival

Stopover

Day of the week

CX3280

HKG – ANC

02:50

19:20-1

/

Thursday

ANC – LAX

20:25-1

02:30

ANC*

CX3281

LAX – PDX

04:45

07:05

/

Thursday

PDX – HKG

08:35

17:00+1

ANC*

Flight No

Routing

Departure

Arrival

Stopover

Day of the week

CX3280

HKG – ANC

05:30

22:00-1

/

Saturday

ANC – LAX

23:05-1

05:10

ANC*

CX3281

LAX – PDX

07:25

09:45

/

Saturday

PDX – HKG

11:15

19:40+1

ANC*

*Technical stop

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:52 PM

What!? A 747-800F flying regularly into PDX? Wow...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:38 PM

Very cool!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:20 PM

Alaska Airlines to start nonstop PDX-New York City(Newark) flights

1x daily service starts November 10 2016.
http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...721_145646.asp

It was only a matter of time for PDX-EWR.

On the second quarter conference call, Andrew Harrison announced that AS has received approval for four additional flights to / from EWR daily.

One of those is to/from Portland!
PDX-EWR starting in November, 2016 Daily

"Alaska's new Portland-Newark service continues the airline's expansion of its Portland hub which includes other recently added destinations such as Minneapolis; Kansas City, Missouri; Orlando; Omaha, Nebraska; and Atlanta. The newly added Newark service will be the only daytime nonstop from Portland to the Garden State."

Nov. 10, 2016

Portland-Newark:

Depart: 6:55 a.m. Arrive: 2:55 p.m. Daily

Newark-Portland:

Depart: 3:55 p.m. Arrive: 7:05 p.m. Daily

Last edited by Tanaka07; Jul 21, 2016 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:10 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
Alaska Airlines to start nonstop PDX-New York City(Newark) flights

1x daily service starts November 2016.

It was only a matter of time for PDX-EWR.

On the second quarter conference call, Andrew Harrison announced that AS has received approval for four additional flights to / from EWR daily.

One of those is to/from Portland!
PDX-EWR starting in November, 2016 Daily
This is great news for Alaska MVPs, and about time! For domestic travel, there are now officially absolutely zero advantages to being a Delta frequent flyer in Portland Oregon. New York was the last holdout!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure