HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 5:47 PM

There's a time and place for grid and a time and place for cul-de-sacs. That is NOT to say that suburbs should all be cul-de-sacs, or that the inner city should all be grid. 2nd Ave downtown is a cul-de-sac. Bowness and Ogden are grids. There are a handful of other neighbourhoods that use an adapted grid (ie. Taradale). The argument that curvilinear cul-de-sacs use less area for roads is a shaky one because (a) cul-de-sacs usually end in huge, paved bulbs and (b) those who live there are encouraged to drive everywhere. It's kind of like saying "low density living is more eco-friendly because each house has more lawn", when the truth is that the footprint of a low-density city will cover a far greater area that could otherwise be used for farming, park space, natural preserves, and wilderness.

I'd like to see more new neighbourhoods built on grid or radial systems that centre on a transit station. I also think there is room to eventually redevelop power centres onto grid systems within curvilinear communities.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 6:11 PM
Great White Norf

I agree that it's good to have choice, but the housing developments/subdivisions of the last say 30-ish years Calgary will be stuck with.

In the future, more neighbourhoods should employ traditional neighbourhood design principles in the street layout and home design (porches, garages that are flush with the house, etc), and a mix of densities and incomes.
That way they can evolve easier in the future when the market demands.

Last edited by Wigs; Mar 2, 2014 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
That came as surprise to me as in my mind squared lots and squared grids would mean no wasted space but I can see it does make sense due to less duplication of roads. It doesn't take away from the reasons to stop building like this though.

For the second part about people liking the quieter areas - I think this can still be achieved in a gridded system. Just because it is a grid does not mean there has to be through routes for road traffic on every line of the grid, having dead ends for vehicles but not pedestrians makes neighbourhoods much more walkable than meandering cul-de-sacs. If I had a family I'd take Sunnyside over Kincora any day (if I could afford it!).
I think Highwood does a good job o being kind of grid like, yet providing no real advantage to cut through, so the streets are quite. Even Mount Pleasant doesn't really have a lot of cut through traffic despite being a grid with fairly major roads around it.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
There's a time and place for grid and a time and place for cul-de-sacs. That is NOT to say that suburbs should all be cul-de-sacs, or that the inner city should all be grid. 2nd Ave downtown is a cul-de-sac. Bowness and Ogden are grids. There are a handful of other neighbourhoods that use an adapted grid (ie. Taradale).
Cul-de-sac and grid are not mutually exclusive terms. 2nd Ave Downtown ends in cul-de-sacs on the west end and at the Chinese Cultural Centre but it's still part of a grid. Cul-de-sacs don't have anything to do with it.

Quote:
The argument that curvilinear cul-de-sacs use less area for roads is a shaky one because (a) cul-de-sacs usually end in huge, paved bulbs and (b) those who live there are encouraged to drive everywhere.
It's not an argument, it's fact. Similar to the map from Seattle posted earlier here's a quick an dirty comparison of Hillhurst/West Hillhurst to Tuscany and Scenic Acres:

Both of these maps are the same scale. There is much more road in the first image.

"Those who live there are encouraged to drive everywhere" is misleading in my opinion. Everything about the stereotypical curvilinear, cul-de-sac suburban neighbourhood road network substantially increases travel distances by car while travel distances by bike and by foot are reduced with the use of pass-throughs and pathways. A curvilinear road network makes driving more inconvenient, not less. And that's very deliberate. As others pointed out cut-through traffic is diminished because the road design makes it a pain in the ass for people from outside the neighbourhood to drive through it. It forces traffic on to collector and arterial roads. It is designed to keep other cars out and to force the cars within the neighbourhood to specific streets.

People drive everywhere in the 'burbs not because driving is more convenient than walking: they drive everywhere because there is nowhere to walk to. There are no activities in the neighbourhood creating intra-neighbourhood pedestrian trips. The sorts of trips that someone might make by foot are not possible in a suburb because the land uses don't allow for it. There are no corner stores to walk to to pick up a carton of milk: they don't exist.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 11:52 PM

Those images are misleading. The lots on the east of the Kensington image show the back alley as a road, on the west they don't. When comparing the west of the Kensington image to the Tuscany one, the difference is less stark. It may also be the case that housing density is lower in Tuscany, which will effect the density of roads.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 4:18 AM

93JC, take out the parks and massive Stoney Trail ROW and you'll find those images have comparable amounts of roads. However, Tuscany has wider roads, larger lots, and fewer dwellings/area.

Hillhurst has 5300 people/km2; Tuscany has 2700 people/km2. source. Do you believe there are twice as many paved surfaces per km in Hillhurst as there are in Tuscany to justify the discrepancy?

I'd agree that "culdesacs encourage driving" is vague, but you can't deny that more people drive in the second image. Ward 7 (Hillhurst) = 55% single occupancy vehicle mode share; Ward 1 (Tuscany) = 73% single occupancy vehicles.source. I'd also agree that pedestrian/pathway shortcuts and more local activity may help, but I don't see local activity substantially developing in Tuscany, and I think the curvilinear road network is, in part, to blame. It's low flexibility of use that is the problem.

Last edited by RyLucky; Mar 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Those images are misleading. The lots on the east of the Kensington image show the back alley as a road, on the west they don't. When comparing the west of the Kensington image to the Tuscany one, the difference is less stark. It may also be the case that housing density is lower in Tuscany, which will effect the density of roads.
Well I did say it was quick and dirty.

On closer inspection parts of the stuff I highlighted in Tuscany aren't really 'road' either. I think if one was to highlight all of the alleys, and maybe I really should have done that in the first place because they are in effect just very small, 15 km/h roads, in the two images you would find the balance would still favour Hillhurst & West Hillhurst.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 4:48 AM

Quote:
93JC, take out the parks and massive Stoney Trail ROW and you'll find those images have comparable amounts of roads.
You can't just arbitrarily decide "take out the parks and the freeway ROW": that's how these neighbourhoods were designed. Huge, huge ROW, lots and lots of green spaces, and comparatively fewer paved surfaces. Less paved surface = more room for everything else.

Quote:
However, Tuscany has wider roads, larger lots, and fewer dwellings/area.
No, no, Tuscany does not have wider roads. Road widths are standardized; they might seem wider but they're not.

Larger lots, true. Which goes back to what I said about the fact that gridded neighbourhoods can have lot sizes that change over time: divided, infilled; combined, multi-family, multi-storey, etc.

There's no argument from me that Tuscany has fewer dwellings per unit area than Hillhurst does but that was not always the case. Hillhurst was once much less dense than it is now.

Quote:
I'd agree that "culdesacs encourage driving" is vague, but you can't deny that more people drive in the second image. Ward 7 (Hillhurst) = 55% single occupancy vehicle mode share; Ward 1 (Tuscany) = 73% single occupancy vehicles.source. I'd also agree that pedestrian/pathway shortcuts and more local activity may help, but I don't see local activity substantially developing in Tuscany, and I think the curvilinear road network is, in part, to blame. It's low flexibility of use that is the problem.
I know... that's why I said:

Quote:
People drive everywhere in the 'burbs not because driving is more convenient than walking: they drive everywhere because there is nowhere to walk to. There are no activities in the neighbourhood creating intra-neighbourhood pedestrian trips. The sorts of trips that someone might make by foot are not possible in a suburb because the land uses don't allow for it. There are no corner stores to walk to to pick up a carton of milk: they don't exist.

On the overarching points I agree with you entirely. On the point of curvilinear road networks (generally) having less paved area than a gridded network, I disagree with you entirely. It's absolutely true, despite your perceptions to the contrary. And that's absolutely why they get built like that in the first place: developers don't need to lay down as much road and for a given lot size the curvilinear street neighbourhood will have more dwellings per unit area than the gridded one.

(And again, the great thing about a grid layout is the lot size is easily changed, you can fill in those neighbourhoods later, blah blah blah, rehash of what we've both said about four times now. )

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
No, no, Tuscany does not have wider roads. Road widths are standardized; they might seem wider but they're not.
They are.

10th st = ~50 ft. Tuscany Blvd ~70 ft wide.
Inner city Crowchild ROW ~130 ft. Stoney Trail ROW ~ 650 ft.
The standards have changed over time to accommodate higher speeds more safely (for cars). Only in 2014 are we beginning to realize that maybe our standards of the past 40 years aren't ideal for cyclists, pedestrians, or transit. Not every street in the city needs to allow a firetruck to make a u-turn at 60 km/hr. I'm hopeful that new neighbourhoods will begin relaxing road widths on some roads in new communities (ie Currie Barracks, Seton, etc), and stabilize space for autos while making more room for non-auto city wide.

Quote:
On the overarching points I agree with you entirely. On the point of curvilinear road networks (generally) having less paved area than a gridded network, I disagree with you entirely. It's absolutely true, despite your perceptions to the contrary. And that's absolutely why they get built like that in the first place: developers don't need to lay down as much road and for a given lot size the curvilinear street neighbourhood will have more dwellings per unit area than the gridded one.
Originally, I thought you were making the case that curvilinear networks could serve more people with less pavement and was therefore somehow better for the environment. If we are measuring square-meter of pavement per capita (which is the only fair parameter to measure so far as I can tell), the grid is more efficient, hands down. I'd also argue that the road network in Tuscany causes a lot of issues with land use, making a lot of unpaved land totally unusable. For example, Tuscany Blvd may only be ~70 ft wide, but the 200 ft between it and Stoney Trail will never be used for anything other that a salty roadside wasteland full of plastic bags and Tim Hortons cups.

Now that I realize that your point is that curvilinear neighbourhoods allow developers to pave less land per acre (and develop many, many more acres to serve a similar population), we are in agreement.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally, I thought you were making the case that curvilinear networks could serve more people with less pavement and was therefore somehow better for the environment.
No, no, you kept jumping to that conclusion for some reason despite me saying no, over and over again.

Quote:
Now that I realize that your point is that curvilinear neighbourhoods allow developers to pave less land per acre (and develop many, many more acres to serve a similar population), we are in agreement.
FINALLY. Jesus.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 12:53 AM

So I did a "quick and dirty" pixel analysis of the above images. The pink corresponds to the pixels that are regarded as streets in this...er.. analysis.

The upper pic (Hillhurst) corresponds to a bit above 21% streets. The lower one (Tuscany) is a tad above 19%.

Just thought I'd put that here.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 2:27 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post

So I did a "quick and dirty" pixel analysis of the above images. The pink corresponds to the pixels that are regarded as streets in this...er.. analysis.

The upper pic (Hillhurst) corresponds to a bit above 21% streets. The lower one (Tuscany) is a tad above 19%.

Problem is still that some alleys in the Hillhurst pic are shown as streets - that skews everything.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Problem is still that some alleys in the Hillhurst pic are shown as streets - that skews everything.
The alleys probably should count. They are road ROWs that detract from the ratio of developable land. If anything, the fact that lots of alleys don't show up is aiding Kensington in this regard.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Interesting image I just saw, puts some neat context on inner city living and how efficient the grid system is:

Only thing I'd like to point out is that the burbs often have an overlapping network of pathways, that does not show up on road grids. While the conclusion may end up being the same (IE you can get further using straight lines) it may actually not be as skewed as being portrayed in the above.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
The bolded parts are actually incorrect. The curvilinear cul-de-sac design requires far less road infrastructure (just look at how much less blue is on that map as compared to the grid system). Less roads mean less construction cost, and more land you can sell (not dedicate as right of way). There is also the argument to be made it is more environmentally friendly (not the best argument, but one can be made) since we are paving less of mother earth with this system.

As far as people caring about the orientation of their house, I have met some people who love the fact they are on a quiet cul-de-sac, and wouldn't have it any other way. They also like the fact their community is more difficult to navigate, as it cuts down on traffic and people short cutting through their neighbourhood. Personal preference.
Quote:
You can't just arbitrarily decide "take out the parks and the freeway ROW": that's how these neighbourhoods were designed. Huge, huge ROW, lots and lots of green spaces, and comparatively fewer paved surfaces. Less paved surface = more room for everything else.
On the point of curvilinear road networks (generally) having less paved area than a gridded network, I disagree with you entirely. It's absolutely true, despite your perceptions to the contrary. And that's absolutely why they get built like that in the first place: developers don't need to lay down as much road and for a given lot size the curvilinear street neighbourhood will have more dwellings per unit area than the gridded one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post

Quote:
It sounds to me like there is no signifcant difference in road cover.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 7:38 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Only thing I'd like to point out is that the burbs often have an overlapping network of pathways, that does not show up on road grids. While the conclusion may end up being the same (IE you can get further using straight lines) it may actually not be as skewed as being portrayed in the above.
This is true, I recall Brentwood has at least some. Does anyone know if this is a mandatory part of new developments, or just random whether it's implemented?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:31 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Probably not - find below sim's original Hillhurst pic, a modified one with the alleys taken out and the Tuscany pic...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Probably not - find below sim's original Hillhurst pic, a modified one with the alleys taken out and the Tuscany pic...
Yup, that was kinda my point. In effort to continue to keep this from otherwise becoming a very long post - it didn't even cover the large ROW / massive amounts of dead space this covers [Tuscany image], nor any of the surface parking required.

Taking that massively curvilinear street networks do allow a developer to provide less pavement to access properties by vehicles as granted (at which I'm already suspect of, hence the "analysis"), then it is only further testament to how much those costs are instead downloaded onto society and/or property owners instead (businesses requiring parking lots, etc.).

That kind of street network is only conducive to vehicular accessibility, if that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 2:08 AM

To be honest, I fully accept that my original assertion that curvilinear networks require more road was probably wrong. I can't see why housing developers would build like that unless it was more efficient for them - maximizing the value of their spending is literally their only priority.

But that still doesn't mean they are a good thing for the city.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Let's do the opposite and add all the alleys in on both pictures:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues