HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 7:50 AM

Have they started doing exterior work on the renderingless 77 van ness or 799 harrison? If so are there any new pics of those two developments?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 7:54 AM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Sounds like the Sierra Club is laying the foundation for coming out in full support of taller buildings in the Bay Area's core. The higher density of taller buildings definitely fits with the organizational beliefs. Not a bad idea to build the case slowly; to keep some of the reactionary-types at bay and to keep those on the fence nodding along with their viewpoint.
I certainly am glad to see that the environmentalists are (rightly) more on our side than on the side of the NIMBYs...

The NIMBYs should really think of which they would prefer more of in the next decade; a higher skyline and density in the existing city, or hideous urban/suburban sprawl encroaching upon and eventually covering their precious backyards all over the rest of the bay area...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 7:06 PM

What is the blue crane in this pic for?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 12:03 AM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Perhaps if you got out of your car and looked at the building from different angles you might form a different opinion. At any rate, you're welcome to take the top back to San Jose--just leave the bottom restored Chronicle Building for us.
Hopefully those overhangs would blow off on the trip down 101.

I never saw the original building before the redevelopment so I'm capable of seeing it only as is. The top doesn't strike me as an ill-fit addition, just as "the top." Maybe that's why I'm not so opposed to it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I have a question about permit timing. It's related to 45 Lansing, but it could be applicable to any SF project so I thought I'd post it here. Plus, I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up by posting a non-update on that thread.

Cannon was issued a permit for excavation and shoring at 45 Lansing on Oct 10 that is good for 3 years. Does this really tell us anything in terms of timing? Does a 10/10/10 (interesting date) deadline mean they have to be done by that date or start by that date, or is it really meaningful at all? Say they have to be done by then, would that give an indication of when they might get started?

BTW: on the same day, they were issued a permit that expires one year earlier ('09) for underpinning the building next door (81 Lansing) for the excavation work. I didn't see anything newer than this on the city's planning website.

I'm probably grasping at straws here, but in strolling around these various sites I'm always hoping for some tiny sign that something will happen soon. There's lots of smoke, but I want fire dammit!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:53 PM
BANNED

^^^I believe the 3 year expiration date on the permit means they have to be done with the work by then--or get a new permit. Excavation/shoring takes about 6 months or so, so I wouldn't say it tells us much about when the building will start except that I doubt they would bother applying for the permit now unless they had some idea that the work would begin reasonably soon. And I still do think it will. Turnberry has given no indication they have any thoughts of abandoning the project--quite the opposite in that they are still hiring for it. But I suspect (and have read) that the present real estate situation has made them take the view that they can afford to proceed with "deliberate speed" (meaning there's no rush since the sales market can only be better the further down the road the building goes on the market).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:51 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the insight, BT. I trust your judgement that it will get started soon and look forward to it.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Today's Chronicle has a John King article on the new PUC building and sustainability in general. He mentions that the Board of Supervisors approved it in December, and the PUC approved the construction contract last week. Demolition should begin this spring and the target opening is 2010. I was hoping for new renderings, but this looks like the same one that has already been posted here.

Quote:
I just want to say one word to you: sustainability
John King
Tuesday, January 15, 2008

During six years writing about architecture for The Chronicle, I've seen trends come and go. Glass is the new stucco. Towers are taller and some of them twist. Celebrity architects spend as much time on self-promotion as serious design.

But here's the trend that sticks, the one lasting change: Visual drama is no longer enough. Environmental sustainability counts for more than curb appeal.

That's why San Francisco's planned Public Utilities Commission building is so much a sign of the times. It's conceived to be a showcase of "green" design, a departure from the bureaucratic norm. But by the time it opens in 2010, I'll wager that even more adventurous buildings are close behind - because the world has changed, and architecture has to change with it.

The 12-story structure will rise a block from City Hall at 525 Golden Gate Ave., and instead of a stylish dome it will be topped by solar panels and wind turbines. The south-facing walls will include a formal grid of white Sierra granite to fit the Beaux Arts look of the Civic Center, but there also will be horizontal strips of finlike panels placed to deflect harsh sunlight while bouncing light toward the building's innards.

Fittingly for the agency that operates San Francisco's water system, the new building is also designed to emphasize water conservation. There will be sensors to turn restroom faucets on and off as needed, for instance, and water will be recycled within the building for use in toilets and the cooling system.

The most visual proof that this isn't business as usual? While the glassy wall facing Golden Gate Avenue will pull back as the floors ascend, a 20-foot-wide stairwell will rise straight up along the sidewalk. Attached to the outside of the stairs, behind a wall of clear glass, you'll see a 190-foot-high stack of swirling wind turbines. These turbines are part of a system that will generate 40 percent of the building's annual power needs. They'll also be a kinetic sculpture that never stops. And yes, it's a bird-friendly design: Think corkscrews that twist, rather than fan blades that chop.

All these touches are costly, adding an estimated $16 million to the $178 million budget. The payoff comes from consolidating 1,000 employees now scattered in various rented spaces. And, less quantifiably, stirring the pot.

"What we've been given by the PUC is a big open window," says David Hobstetter of KMD Architects, the building's designer. "The city's starting point is, 'We want to show the world.' They're willing to take risks."

The Board of Supervisors gave an 11-0 blessing in December, and the Public Utilities Commission signed off on the construction contract last week. Demolition of what's now on the site, a grim bureaucratic box closed since the 1989 earthquake, should begin this spring. The target opening date is 2010.

To me, what's exciting isn't the gee-whiz factor of those turbines, or tidbits such as how marble from the existing building's lobby might be recycled for use as restroom-stall partitions. The hook is that the PUC building, though aggressive, isn't unique. It's part of a much larger trend.

San Francisco alone has enough examples to make the case. On the public front, the supervisors are about to review an ordinance from Mayor Gavin Newsom requiring that by 2012 all new commercial buildings in San Francisco larger than 25,000 square feet must qualify for a Gold rating under the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards established by the U.S. Green Building Council. Once this dictate would have caused a fuss; now, it's endorsed by groups such as the Building Owners and Managers Association.

In the private world, developers and large landowners are embracing sustainability as a bid to win public support.

Down in the city's southwest corner, for example, the homely Parkmerced complex was purchased in 2005 by a developer who eventually wants to double the 3,221 housing units now scattered through the 113-acre site. So what is being proposed? Try this marketing phrase: an "international model of urban sustainability" - heated by geothermal energy, with a rainwater runoff system that would flow into nearby Lake Merced, better mass transit and all the rest.

"It's a whole new world," Hobstetter says of the changes since 2001, when he started work on what now will be the PUC building. "Global warming and climate change are twin engines coming down the track. You're going to see an evolution in architecture to buildings like this, because it's what you have to do."

I don't pretend for a moment that all our problems are solved or that solar panels and waterless urinals will stop the Arctic ice pack from shrinking. You can also bet that when it comes to being green, many developers will do just enough to get by.

"With a building for private developers, everything still has to be cost-justified," Hobstetter says. "It's marketing and payback. Can they attract buyers or tenants with these (environmental) features, and do they justify the cost?"

And make no mistake, the starchitects of the world will still do their best to turn heads. We'll see odd shapes and contorted silhouettes and, yes, exhilarating bursts of three-dimensional art.

Still, an architect today who designs a high-profile building has to take the environment into account - consuming as few materials as possible, paying attention to a structure's carbon footprint. Not just because it's the right thing to do but also because other architects and clients are making the effort.

If you don't, you're behind the times. And that's the last place a cutting-edge architect wants to be.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:54 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I looked on the architect's site and there are other renderings that show the Civic Center (south) facing side and a street view along Polk. Unfortunately, they're all in Flash and I'm not sure how to capture and post them here.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 12:25 AM

^^ I don't know how legal this is, but if you hit print screen and paste into paint, you'll get the renderings along with the rest of your screen. I'd do it myself, but it won't work at the office.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:17 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I have the same problem, being at work. Hopefully, anyone interested can just see them on the architect's site.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 6:16 PM
BANNED

"Lincoln Property Co. plans to break ground this winter on the 350,000-square-foot 350 Bush St."
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Does this project have a thread?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 8:17 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Finally! I've read bits and pieces about that one, but nothing definite. I don't recall a thread for it. BTW, the link you posted is to news about 555 Mission getting an anchor tenant. Also great news, but I think you meant to post a different URL here.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
BTW, the link you posted is to news about 555 Mission getting an anchor tenant. Also great news, but I think you meant to post a different URL here.
No--that sentence was just a small clip out of the article on 555 Mission but I didn't want it overlooked and if this building is about to start construction, it deserves more attention.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 11:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Oh, yes I see now. When I look at the link I only get the first couple of lines as I'm not a subscriber. But I see the complete article in the other thread where it's mentioned. Thanks for posting that.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:33 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I walked past one of the many minor projects around town. This is 766 Harrison, a new eight-story, 98-unit, single-room-occupancy ("SRO") residential project. It includes 4,500 square feet of retail (website says it's a cafe), five parking spaces for the residential units, a 581-square-foot side yard, and 4,370 square feet of common resident open space on a roof deck. It's supposed to be completed in June, but I think it will be longer than that.

From the east (easy access to Whole Foods):

From the west:

Here's a rendering:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 11:07 AM
Anti-NIMBY

While I was watching TV on my computer I realized just how much I like the way this looks:

copyright KTVU

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 10:44 PM
North Beach

Heres a view of our favorite projects from Mission Bay:

See those blue cement parking bumpers at right? I don't have any more photos as I tripped over one of them when viewing the skyline, landing on my nose. Since I now look like I'd spent Friday night getting hit in the face with a chair in a bar room brawl, I think there won't be more photos till next week.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
...See those blue cement parking bumpers at right? I don't have any more photos as I tripped over one of them when viewing the skyline, landing on my nose. Since I now look like I'd spent Friday night getting hit in the face with a chair in a bar room brawl, I think there won't be more photos till next week.
Downtown Dave, thanks for adding some more distant field photos to the collection. I hope you heal up fast and feel better soon. BTW, I sent you a PM that may be of special interest to you, especially after you recover. Take a look. Take care.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 2:58 AM
Anti-NIMBY

From sf.curbed.com:

Quote:
2108: Architects Envision SF

Local firm Pfau Architecture has been busy lately. First we heard about the new SPUR building, then The Friends School, and now on this Sunday they'll be competing to redesign the San Francisco...wait for it...OF THE FUTURE. "City of the Future: A Design and Engineering Challenge" is a competition organized by the History Channel with the goal of expressing how new technologies and clever architecture could save our city in the face of the looming apocalypse. In a no-holds-barred, winner take all, architectural battle royale, six teams will be asked to build a 3.5-by-7-foot model of their proposal for a new San Francisco. It's an often lamented fact that San Francisco's contemporary architecture falls short of astounding, so stop by the Ferry Building this Sunday to get a glimpse of what the city could be if creative minds were given free reign. Anderson Anderson Architecure, Iwamoto Scott, Kuth Ranieri Architects, Fougeron Architecture, SLOMobility, IF architecture, and Gelfand Partners Architects will also participate. The winning entry will be built in 100 years. (Ok, we might've made that last part up.)
It should be interesting to see what comes out of this project...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations