HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:26 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The last time I went in there the Best Buy had recently closed down, the arcades and bar upstairs didn't look particularly healthy and the whole place was relatively empty. I suppose the cinemas were/are doing well. I have not been there in years though so I don't know if business picked up.
It seems to be doing fine when I go there for the gym or to watch a movie. The comedy nest is also doing good and there's a bar with pool tables and games that seems to be popular with young people. But yeah it isn't bustling like one would expect.

The building is nasty though. Who in their right mind thought it would be okay?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Montreal (Place d'Armes) 1940s:

taylornoakes

Montreal did/would look so good with streetcars.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A sketch of the city from the 1700s from a British magazine:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:53 PM

Cool description.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
The Forum could easily still be restored to its 1968 facade.
Why?

https://ville.montreal.qc.ca/memoire...um-de-montreal

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It's true that it wasn't that exceptional a façade. Except of course for the lighted escalators in the shape of crossed hockey sticks visible from the street.

I swear my heart missed a beat the first time I saw those in person after seeing them thousands of times on TV as a kid...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:45 PM

He must have meant pr-1949 before they destroyed it's exterior.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
One of the greatest, most memorable moments in the history of that venerated hall of hockey:
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's true that it wasn't that exceptional a façade. Except of course for the lighted escalators in the shape of crossed hockey sticks visible from the street.

I swear my heart missed a beat the first time I saw those in person after seeing them thousands of times on TV as a kid...
Never knew about those. Interesting feature.

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...ure-id81528612

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 5:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Never knew about those. Interesting feature.

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...ure-id81528612
I guess you're too young!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
He must have meant pr-1949 before they destroyed it's exterior.
Nope. I know what I said. It's not like there isn't any history in the building 1968-96.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:09 PM

True but the exterior looked terrible after 1968, so you can see why people might have thought you meant something else.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 9:29 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Saint John New Brunswick from the 40's and 50s. Stunning photographs archived at Ingenium Digital Archives.

saintjohn1959 by James McGrath, on Flickr

saintjohn1946 by James McGrath, on Flickr

saintjohn19463 by James McGrath, on Flickr

saintjohn19462 by James McGrath, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 10:17 PM
New Brunswick booster!

More stunning shots available on Ingenium Digital Archives. So hard to pick just a few. www.ingeniumcanada.org

Halifax 1949
halifax19492 by James McGrath, on Flickr

Charlottetown 1946
charlottetown1946 by James McGrath, on Flickr

and this show stopper of Toronto from 1954
toronto19542 by James McGrath, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post

saintjohn19462 by James McGrath, on Flickr
Is that Second Empire building on the left the Custom House?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 11:53 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Yep.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 12:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting. I always thought that building burned down. I guess it was demolished after WWII. Maybe that picture with the gravel in front shows the foundations of buildings destroyed in the fire (which eventually became the high school)?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 12:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I am not sure how interesting these are at the Canada subforum level but a bunch of the Halifax pictures on that site are pretty interesting from a local historic perspective.

This shot shows a row of buildings that were all torn down in 1990 for an office building that was never built due to the recession/real estate market implosion. The one on the right was Birks and was a modernist redo of an older stone facade.

Here's a view of the older part of the South End (no North End, Dartmouth, or other stuff on there). You can see the hotel that's still there but on the right just above the park is the Maritime Command building that served an important role in WWII but got demolished, I guess sometime around the 80's.

Deeper South End. The rowhouses in the lower left with the bay windows is pretty clearly masonry. There was a debate over what these are made out of because today they are covered in vinyl siding. You can also see the tanks that I believe were the old gas works that were around until the 1950's or so.

Taken during a narrow window of time when the Dominion Building was completed but the Custom House hadn't been torn down and the cupola hadn't been removed from the building next door. This is peak Bedford Row (1939-1955).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 3:02 AM
Ocean Breeze

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

@brent_bellamy
Apr 1
#WinnipegNow+Then: The intersection of Portage Avenue and Main Street.

@brent_bellamy
Mar 22
#WinnipegNow+Then: View down Portage Avenue. 1940’s and today.

@brent_bellamy
#WinnipegNow+Then: Portage and Main.
1940’s: Cars. Streetcars. Bikes. People.
2018: Cars. Busses. Barricades.

@brent_bellamy: #WinnipegNow+Then: MainStreet. Merchants Bank (right) lost for the Richardson Building, McKintyre Block (left) lost for a parking lot, streetcars lost for cars and busses.

@brent_bellamy
#WinnipegNow+Then: Aerial view comparison of the south side of downtown. Early 1960’s and today.

@brent_bellamy
#WinnipegNow+Then: The city’s industrial waterfront in 1963. Today being transformed @TheForks.

@brent_bellamy
#WinnipegNow+Then: @RRC Exchange District campus built in 2003, retained four historic facades. A pioneer of modern green building design.

@brent_bellamy: #WinnipegNow+Then: The view of downtown from St. Boniface in 1962 and today.

@brent_bellamy
#WinnipegNow+Then: Lindsay Building on Norte Dame - started the modern trend of transforming heritage buildings into residential.

@brent_bellamy
#WinnipegNow+Then: Leland Hotel, lost to arson in 1999. Replaced with @RRC Paterson Global Foods Institute in 2013.

Portage Avenue #WinnipegNow+Then comparison, showing the change in street life and sidewalk retail shops.

WinnipegNow+Then: Portage Avenue in the 1960’s and today. More buildings - Fewer people.

WinnipegNow+Then: Portage Avenue. (A stairwell kept me from getting further left) the two storey Curry Block replaced the Spencer Block and was intended to be the base of an 8 storey tower, but it was stopped because of World War One.

WinnipegNow+Then: Streetcar on Notre Dame Avenue. Today the tracks are exposed during a street renewal project.

WinnipegNow+Then: Provencher Boulevard with streetcar lines running down the centre median.

WinnipegNow+Then: Royal Alexandra Hotel at Main and Higgins. A grand CPR Hotel - The finest in the city. King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II both stayed there. Demolished in 1971.

WinnipegNow+Then: Graham Avenue before it became a surface parking lot.

WinnipegNow+Then: Victoria Theatre on Fort Street near Portage (beside the Vendome). There’s an urban legend that the current building might be the same one.

WinnipegNow+Then: Donald Street in the 1890’s and #WPGWhiteout

WinnipegNow+Then: Portage Avenue - Paris and Avenue Buildings from the 1950’s - almost all the same buildings, and all fully occupied, including 60 new residences, but which looks like it would create more pedestrian activity on the sidewalk?

WinnipegNow+Then: Gingerbread City Hall. Built in 1886. Replaced by the current structure in 1964.

WinnipegNow+Then: On an @NHLJets game day. Incredible that a 15,000 seat arena could be dwarfed by a department store. Eaton’s was the 10th largest department store in the world and at 700,000 square feet was 25% larger than 32 storey, 201 Portage, Winnipeg’s tallest building.

WinnipegNow+Then: Sherbrook Street at Portage Avenue.

WinnipegNow+Then: McKintyre Block at Portage+Main. Awnings to protect pedestrians, bikes propped up on the curbs. Today, lots of places to park a car.

WinnipegNow+Then: Royal Albert Hotel before the terrible glass addition. Soon to be home to the famous Alycia’s Restaurant.

WinnipegNow+Then: Bank of British North America (now Palomino Club). The oldest bank on Banker’s Row. Beside it, Dominion Bank at Main and McDermot. Demolished in 1966.

WinnipegNow+Then: Bank of Montreal under construction in 1913. Designed by McKim, Mead and White, the same architects as Penn Station and the interior of the White House.

WinnipegNow+Then: Corner of Donald and Graham. Gas station replaced by Millenium Library - part of the transition of the area from a downtown residential neighbourhood to large public buildings. (Tribune Building behind left)

WinnipegNow+Then: Albert Street. Showing value of small, old buildings. They create interesting streets & opportunity for small business.

WinnipegNow+Then: Loss of fine grained buildings & retail storefronts has hurt the economy & pedestrian quality of Main Street & downtown.

WinnipegNow+Then: @CBCManitoba building on Portage Avenue. TV broadcasting began from here in 1954, Canada's 4th television station.

WinnipegNow+Then Gray'sAuction @Ex_District_Wpg 2010. Today @kingandbann @chosabican @bronutswpg

WinnipegNow+Then: Construction of beautiful Église du Précieux Sang, St. Boniface in 1968. Is that architect Étienne Gaboury at the top?

WinnipegNow+Then: Main Street at McDermot looking towards Portage. Dominion Bank in the foreground. Merchant's Bank on the left.

WinnipegNow+Then: Gas station near Old Market Square - today @Bodegoes restaurant (slated for demo). Shows the amazing impact of trees.

WinnipegNow+Then: Osborne Village from the 1950's.

WinnipegNow+Then: Mitchell Copp Building on Portage Avenue. Now part of the @CentrepointWpg. Fire reduced its neighbour to one floor.

WinnipegNow+Then: The Tribune Buildings at Graham/Smith. Now a large surface parking lot.

WinnipegNow+Then: Demolition for Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre. National Historic Site and beautiful Brutalism.

WinnipegNow+Then: Main and Bannatyne. Ashdown Warehouse burned and rebuilt in 1904. Big4 Sales stuccoed in it 1959, re-bricked in 00's.

WinnipegNow+Then: Public Market then Public Safety Building. What will it be next? #MarketLands

WinnipegNow+Then: Royal Bank in 1909 by Carrère & Hastings (also designed New York Central Library-featured in 1st scene of Ghostbusters)

WinnipegNow+Then via @LBJBrewing -old buildings provide affordable opportunity for start-ups like this. Progress through preservation

WinnipegNow+Then: Dominion Bank on Main Street. Demolished because that's what they did in the late 60's.

WinnipegNow+Then: McDermot at Main Street.

WinnipegNow+Then: Main Street at Portage. A streetscape lost.

WinnipegNow+Then: Bannatyne Avenue. Siberian Elms planted in 1974. Looks like a good boulevard tree option. Seeds be damned

WinnipegNow+Then: City's first post office on Lombard, became Great West Life's first building.

WinnipegNow+Then: Main Street at William Stephenson Way.

WinnipegNow+Then: September 19, 1955 the streetcars stopped running...including the ones that ran on the median of Broadway.

WinnipegNow+Then: The evolution of Hargrave Street, from residential neighbourhood to office district.

WinnipegNow+Then: Before the Richardson Building, there was a cute little gas station at Portage+Main.

WinnipegNow+Then: La cathédrale Saint-Boniface before the devastating 1968 fire.

WinnipegNow+Then: Portage Avenue looking back to Main Street.

WinnipegNow+Then: The WWI soldier at Portage+Main protected by a concrete bunker.

WinnipegNow+Then: McDermot with a missing tooth. Middle building is now home to @Forth_Wpg

WinnipegNow+Then: Ashdown Warehouse. City's first loft condo. Amazing what a good cleaning can do

WinnipegNow+Then: 110 years of Main Street.

WinnipegNow+Then: Majestic Portage Avenue Post Office - replaced by the Dreman Building/Parkade in 1962.

#WinnipegNow+Then: Portage Avenue beside @uwinnipeg

WinnipegNow+Then - Portage Avenue entrance to the Capitol Theatre replaced by Dollarama.

WinnipegNow+Then - Block of small Main Street businesses demolished for Pantages Theatre addition and plaza in 1990

WinnipegNow+Then - The small retail storefronts (and corresponding pedestrian activity) gone from Main Street.

WinnipegNow+Then - When the Grain Exchange Building could be seen beyond the parking lot at Portage+Main. (1960's)

WinnipegNow+Then - first @greatwestlifeca building, before it grew. One of my favourite heritage buildings.

WinnipegNow+Then - 53 years of McDermot Avenue. Slow growth is sometimes a lucky thing.

Courtesy of: @brent_bellamy Twitter

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada