HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 12:25 PM

Airport drop-off soon to be permanent

THE ever-changing maze to complete airport drop-offs and pick-ups is about to be cast in concrete once and for all.
Barry Rempel, CEO of the Winnipeg Airports Authority, said the last change to the roadways leading up to the terminal building will be made in mid-September.

"After that, the roads are the roads," he said in an interview Tuesday. "The parkade is now complete and the roadways will be in their final format as of this fall."

Rempel said the WAA's goal is to isolate the ongoing construction of the new terminal building as much as possible from customers.

The $585-million project has just passed 500,000 person hours of onsite construction work, a milestone that has been accomplished without a single serious injury, he said.

"All we've had is guys who have banged their thumbs with a hammer," he said.
Rempel said 95 per cent of the terminal building's basement has been dug, foundation work has begun and nearly half of 1,100 piles have been driven.

"This is now real. We're going to start to see the skeleton of the terminal building coming out of the ground starting this fall and most dramatically at the beginning of next spring," he said.

Rempel said other parts of the project, including airside development, groundside site services and a central utilities building are in various stages of completion.

Other benefits to the local economy include:

* $273 million in wages.

* Gross domestic product of $343 million.

* Total economic output for Manitoba of more than $1 billion.

The new terminal building is scheduled to open in either late 2009 or early 2010.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 8:46 PM
Movin' on up

Program eases Winnipeg air travel
AUG 23 2007 03:30 PM
Bookmark Page Email to a friend Print Page
About RSS

Air travellers through Winnipeg will now be able to speed up border clearance with advanced iris recognition technology.
The technology is part of the NEXUS program, a joint initiative between the Canadian and US governments designed to give low-risk, pre-approved travellers secure and speedy border clearance.

NEXUS is voluntary but travellers must pay 80 dollars to apply and pass existing security standards. Then the iris recognition system can be used at a self-serve kiosk at the airport, and is considered an accepted alternative to a passport.

James Richardson International Airport CEO Barry Rempel anticipates the program will be successful...

(click above for audio)

Travellers can also use the technology in airports in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, and Halifax.

CJOB's Colleen Bready reporting.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 11:40 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Program eases Winnipeg air travel
AUG 23 2007 03:30 PM
Bookmark Page Email to a friend Print Page
About RSS

Air travellers through Winnipeg will now be able to speed up border clearance with advanced iris recognition technology.
The technology is part of the NEXUS program, a joint initiative between the Canadian and US governments designed to give low-risk, pre-approved travellers secure and speedy border clearance.

NEXUS is voluntary but travellers must pay 80 dollars to apply and pass existing security standards. Then the iris recognition system can be used at a self-serve kiosk at the airport, and is considered an accepted alternative to a passport.

James Richardson International Airport CEO Barry Rempel anticipates the program will be successful...

(click above for audio)

Travellers can also use the technology in airports in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, and Halifax.

CJOB's Colleen Bready reporting.
I'm surprised this made the news. This kiosk has been at the airport for a couple of months.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 2:16 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I'm surprised this made the news. This kiosk has been at the airport for a couple of months.
Yeah, it was even on CTV News today...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 8:25 PM
ILYR

Found these renderings of the new terminal.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 8:57 PM
Movin' on up

Can someone please refresh my memory as to the size difference between the old terminal vs. the new terminal?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww why not just check the front page of winnipeg construction http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=126657

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:04 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
aww why not just check the front page of winnipeg construction http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=126657
Where exactly does it state the size difference?

BTW, I was just remined of how ugly that boutique monstrosity will be on Assiniboine Ave. Gross!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Where exactly does it state the size difference?

BTW, I was just remined of how ugly that boutique monstrosity will be on Assiniboine Ave. Gross!
it does not state the size just shows both terminals... if you want the data i would try the waa's website they probly got that there

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:42 AM
Capitalist

It says the new terminal is 51,000sq meters ...

I am not sure of the current terminal , but if the pics are a realiable comparision .. it looks like 1/3 the size of the new building.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 6:59 PM
ILYR

Some construction photo updates of the terminal and new parkade.

Last edited by ILYR; Sep 11, 2007 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 10:37 PM
ILYR

update

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 12:31 AM
Capitalist

This thing is going to be Amazing!!!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 2:15 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

From the Free Press

Quote:
Airport fee to be highest in Canada

Updated at 8:01 PM

By Geoff Kirbyson
Winnipeggers will be paying the highest airport improvement fees in the country in the new year.

Winnipeg Airports Authority plans to up its airport improvement fee (AIF), which is included in the ticket price for outgoing passengers, by a fiver to $20 effective Jan. 1, 2008.

Barry Rempel, CEO of Winnipeg Airports Authority, said the move has been in the works for months and is part of a “prudent business plan.”

Rempel said the hike has nothing to do with either cost overruns on construction of the new terminal building — the price of which has been fixed with contractors at $585 million — or any financing issues with the project. The state-of-the-art terminal building is to open in late 2009 or early 2010 and is being financed entirely by the improvement fee.

“This is a planned initiative as part of the community consultation we did two years ago. At some point, we knew the existing AIF wouldn’t be sufficient. The question was, ‘when should we be doing an increase like this?’” he said in an interview.

Rempel said the extra $5 per passenger will add $6.8 million to WAA coffers in 2008. The increased AIF revenue would save $14 million in actual borrowing and $150 million over the term of the project’s financing, he said.

“It’s quite significant. It means that money can then be used to provide the services people are looking for three or four years down the road,” he said.

The fee hike didn’t phase at least two travellers at Richardson International Wednesday. Sandi Palidwor, who was waiting for a flight to Calgary, described herself as a price-conscious flyer, but she could hardly have been more succinct when asked what the $5 increase would mean to her travel plans, which cost about $350.

“Nothing,” she said. “It won’t make a difference to me. Now if it was $50, then I might have to factor if it was cheaper to drive.”

Terryl Garrow, who was preparing to board a westbound WestJet flight Wednesday afternoon, said the extra $5 wasn’t a big deal to her, either. Looking out the entrance’s sliding doors to the four cranes on the terminal building’s busy construction site, she said she’s OK with it because the money is going to a worthy cause.

“It’s helping (finance) the new terminal building. We’ll be able to get through the check-in lines, security and get our luggage faster,” she said.

Rempel said the only way the cost of the new terminal building could rise is if unexpected, specific changes in design are required.

The AIF was first instituted in July 1998, at $5. It was doubled to $10 that October and raised to $15 five years later.

The AIF is the largest of the WAA’s revenue sources, but it’s far from the only one. In 2006, the AIF represented 35 per cent of total revenue of about $60 million. The other main components were aeronautical fees (28 per cent), concessions and parking (26 per cent) and security fees (seven per cent).
Christine Alongi, director of communications for the WAA, said forecasts are calling for air travel to double in the next 20 years and the cargo market to triple. She said that’s got the WAA board considering moving up additions to the new terminal to accommodate the crush of passengers, but it’s too early to predict how they might be rolled out.

Ú geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:05 PM
Capitalist

Have they started the Airport hotel expansion yet?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 5:41 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Have they started the Airport hotel expansion yet?
Not that i've noticed. I was at the airport last week and the hotel still looks the same.

Although Newflyer you'd be pleased to know that the MB Hydro Tower is clearly visible from the airport, it looks even more impressive from a distance.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 8:18 PM
What could go wrong?

The hotel has been delayed unitil the new year. (Jan-Feb)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 8:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

paperwork holding it up?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:28 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Not that i've noticed. I was at the airport last week and the hotel still looks the same.

Although Newflyer you'd be pleased to know that the MB Hydro Tower is clearly visible from the airport, it looks even more impressive from a distance.
DAMN.... I can't wait to see that sight.

With the new Terminal building construction and the hotel expansion it will be a very busy area.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 2:08 PM
What could go wrong?

...and the new $10 mil Greyhound bus terminal designed to compliment the new airport terminal - needs to be complete by the end of 2009. Located on the south side of the Administrative building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan