HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 5:55 PM
That's what she said

IMO Bridgeland is the place that will be the next trandy spot, even though it already is a pretty good spot, it will go through the biggest changes of them all.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:01 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
Marda Loop is farther than 20 blocks from the core.
It is, but I wouldn't say it has quite arrive to be trendy distric status, although it is on it's way.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
It is. Adults should never bike on sidewalks unless the sidewalk doubles as a pathway.
Probably not a good idea to ride a bike on MacLeod Trail or even parts of Elbow. Sometimes ya just got to break the rules. I'd rather do that than get hit by a car. Motorists here aren't exactly that sympathetic towards cyclists...

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Marda Loop is farther than 20 blocks from the core.
33 blocks maybe??

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:09 PM

Quote:
IMO Bridgeland is the place that will be the next trandy spot, even though it already is a pretty good spot, it will go through the biggest changes of them all.
I agree. At least Bridgeland has old and new buildings and it is an old established community with a variety of demographics living in the area.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
What I think is interesting about these discussions is that in my mind it *is* possible to create from scratch an area as cool and trendy as ones that have just become that way organically, but it has to be done perfectly.
Perfectly is right. I think the best areas in Calgary are trendy (or whatever word you want to use) because they have evolved over time. Many different businesses have come and gone over the years, new buildings have infilled where old ones used to be, there's still some old buildings etc etc. I don't think established neighbourhoods should be under-estimated and to try and create that from scratch with brand new buildings at the edge of the city seems like an almost impossible task. But maybe it's possible.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:43 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Older communities have the architecture part easier, as they can just fix up various buildings from diff eras, and maybe build a few modern ones, whereas a new area either needs to 'fake' old types of architecture (easy but kinda dumb), or just use new styles but vary them enough to get the same sort of eclectic look. Doable, but definately need some good designers.

EDIT: ... I actually have some ideas on how one could do it... but I may want to tweak then first.

Last edited by DizzyEdge; May 3, 2007 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 10:56 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
I don't think established neighbourhoods should be under-estimated and to try and create that from scratch with brand new buildings at the edge of the city seems like an almost impossible task. But maybe it's possible.
This is why I believe Centre Street has a lot of potential to be a really trendy area. It has the history as well as the mix of styles, and needs an infusion of new buildings and life into some of the older ones. The Street should move into the next phase of its organic lifecycle, which would require some investment.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 11:14 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

When I think of Centre street and potential, I mostly think about between 16th ave and the bridge.. there's a great strip mall on the east side of centre between 8th and 9th aves, built in the 1930's, along with a big hanging art deco neon sign (sadly not working).

Oh man, up on the hill there they should have gondolas that go down centre street right to the calgary tower...

..back to reality, one nice thing about that part of centre is that it's about 2/3's right-on-the-sidewalk buildings and just 1/3 buildings with parking in front, some of which is just a row or 2 of angle parking.

I also think Centre should have just as much 16th ave style beautification done, as it is the most blatant entrance to the heart of downtown.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 12:26 AM

I think The Bridges/1st Ave NE is definitely an up and coming trendy area that is moving along very swiftly. I also think East Village is on the radar and despite its setbacks, I am sure it will start happening very soon. Eau Claire/Chinatown is also set for a sooner rather than later designation as up and coming trendy district!

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 12:59 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

You bring up a good point about Eau Claire and Chinatown, they're so close together that some work where they join could benefit both

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 3:57 AM

I agree that The Bridges is the next big area. Every month, it just gets better and better around there, with more good restaurants and businesses.

I also agree that 11 Ave is also improving, but it's not growing by leaps and bounds like Bridgeland.

I walked from the Beltline to the Stampede grounds last weekend and I have to say that the new condos between MacLeod trail N and S are going to absolutely transform that area. I think that you could possibly have some interesting stuff happen running N-S on MacLeod between 10th and 17th, and then all the new condos in the warehouse district (Arrive et al.) could revive this area. At the moment, though, walking by foot's still a "work in progress." The population explosion may force this area to change drastically into a pedestrian-friendly area, especially since most of the condos going up (Keynote, Arriva, etc) have main floor businesses.

Someone mentioned Ramsay, and... well... I work in Ramsay and while it's a quaint little neighbourhood, it's still too much of a dead end to really be terribly fashionable like Inglewood to the north. Once Ramsay Crossing is built, then let's talk again -- I could see Ramsay Crossing opening the doors for more interesting fashionable business either along Spiller or between it and the Crossroads market. However, it needs to surpass two problems: The NIMBYs and the general poor shape of the neighbourhood, what with a concrete factory and a chicken plant along the south edge of the neighbourhood. (PS: anyone notice the house at the top of the Elbow bridge retained the ice cream shop on the corner?)

Finally, I have a bone to pick about my own area... I live in Coventry Hills, a few blocks from Cardel Place. In general, there's some good things to say about this area, for a suburb -- there's some decent density, a good variety of businesses, lots of restaurants, schools, and a lake. It's central to the Northern Hills community and serves as a hub for the community.

However, my beef is that I feel that they wasted a golden opportunity. Sure, there's a lake, right next to business and condos, etc... but there's almost no businesses or foot-friendly access to the lake. There could be a variety of restaurants and activities that border the lake but instead there's only condos, and only one business -- the Italian restaurant next to Sobey's -- actually has a patio within eyeshot of it.

If I were in charge and had 20/20 hindsight, I would have made the lake, the condos and the businesses into a more integrated environment, where the path around the lake would be wide, there'd be businesses like cafes, restaurants, etc. facing onto the lake, and it would be integrated so that it would encourage foot traffic between the schools, Cardel Place, and the businesses along Country Hills. It could have been so good, but alas, most people don't even know there's a lake in the middle of that thing and the paths remained mostly unused. Given that the future C-Train station will possibly sit on the west side, next to the schools, this area could have been a far more friendly, interesting area but alas, it'll continue to be boring and car-oriented like the rest of the burbs I mean, yeah, it's a lot better than some areas *cough*Citadel*cough* but the potential is wasted on stupid condos with no street access... oh, and a ridiculous lighthouse gimmick!

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 4:03 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danma View Post
Someone mentioned Ramsay, and... well... I work in Ramsay and while it's a quaint little neighbourhood, it's still too much of a dead end to really be terribly fashionable like Inglewood to the north. Once Ramsay Crossing is built, then let's talk again -- I could see Ramsay Crossing opening the doors for more interesting fashionable business either along Spiller or between it and the Crossroads market. However, it needs to surpass two problems: The NIMBYs and the general poor shape of the neighbourhood, what with a concrete factory and a chicken plant along the south edge of the neighbourhood. (PS: anyone notice the house at the top of the Elbow bridge retained the ice cream shop on the corner?)
One thing about Ramsay is it seems to have been designed purely as a residential neighbourhood. Other than the occasional corner store, there's no commercial area to speak of at all, just houses and a school, and in a way that makes sense being that 'Main street Calgary' was just a few mins away in the form of 9th avenue. I think where commercial could work for Ramsay is converting some of the industrial that surrounds it.. such as Ramsay Crossing, and such as 11th street. You *Could* do something on Spiller, but you'd have to clearcut a block or two of houses to do it, and I'm not sure if that cost would be worth it with other commercial and retail only a few mins away in Inglewood (and eventually Ramsay Crossing)

And yah I noticed the ice cream store, .. now I want DQ dammit

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 4:18 AM

Quote:
One thing about Ramsay is it seems to have been designed purely as a residential neighbourhood. Other than the occasional corner store, there's no commercial area to speak of at all, just houses and a school, and in a way that makes sense being that 'Main street Calgary' was just a few mins away in the form of 9th avenue. I think where commercial could work for Ramsay is converting some of the industrial that surrounds it.. such as Ramsay Crossing, and such as 11th street. You *Could* do something on Spiller, but you'd have to clearcut a block or two of houses to do it, and I'm not sure if that cost would be worth it with other commercial and retail only a few mins away in Inglewood (and eventually Ramsay Crossing)

And yah I noticed the ice cream store, .. now I want DQ dammit
Yeah, I have to agree with that. clearcutting on Spiller would raise the ire of the entire community so that wouldn't ever happen.

I work off of 11 street, and I walk underneath that damned train bridge from 19th street north to Inglewood regularly. The whole east side of 11 street is such a freaking mess, what with the rail yards, the polluted-and-fenced-off old garage with barrels of toxic sludge, used condoms and hobo poo in the fields and parking lots around the Ramsay Design Centre, burnt out buildings across from the Shamrock and just a general grubbiness and "no-mans-land" feel to it all. I just hate 11 street so much! It's just that much more frustrating because walking one block west takes you into the nice old neighbourhood of Ramsay proper, and walking north eventually gets you into the guts of Inglewood, so why is 11 street such a damned hellhole?!

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 4:28 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Yeah, I have to agree with that. clearcutting on Spiller would raise the ire of the entire community so that wouldn't ever happen.

I work off of 11 street, and I walk underneath that damned train bridge from 19th street north to Inglewood regularly. The whole east side of 11 street is such a freaking mess, what with the rail yards, the polluted-and-fenced-off old garage with barrels of toxic sludge, used condoms and hobo poo in the fields and parking lots around the Ramsay Design Centre, burnt out buildings across from the Shamrock and just a general grubbiness and "no-mans-land" feel to it all. I just hate 11 street so much! It's just that much more frustrating because walking one block west takes you into the nice old neighbourhood of Ramsay proper, and walking north eventually gets you into the guts of Inglewood, so why is 11 street such a damned hellhole?!
The 2nd part of this link has some pics of said grubbyness
http://www.calgaryheritage.org/phpbb...opic.php?t=225

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 4:38 AM

Quote:
The 2nd part of this link has some pics of said grubbyness
http://www.calgaryheritage.org/phpbb...opic.php?t=225
Yeah. I work in K (Ramsay Design Centre), and we're surrounded by J, L and M.

J is apparently amazingly polluted which is why it hasn't been touched. Every year someone comes, checks the pollution, shakes their head and leaves again.

L isn't in bad shape. M is a real mess, though, especially the burnt out back portion and the fenced in yard on the south end full of trash and parts for demolition derby cars...

Across the street from L is a closed building that used to be a lawnmower and snowblower dealership, called the Power Center. It's currently abandoned with a barb wire fence. Neighbouring to the south is a dog groomers which has been trying to sell for quite a while, but it's still open it seems.

In general, the street is quite busy and isn't particularly pedestrian friendly. With some work, this area could be made into a trendy interesting extension of Inglewood but man... there's some real messes that need cleaning up.

On the bright side, the scary Tim Burton-esque Local Motive building behind the Ramsay Design Center on 20 Ave S is almost complete after what seems like 4 years of reno's...

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 4:46 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Yeah. I work in K (Ramsay Design Centre), and we're surrounded by J, L and M.

J is apparently amazingly polluted which is why it hasn't been touched. Every year someone comes, checks the pollution, shakes their head and leaves again.

L isn't in bad shape. M is a real mess, though, especially the burnt out back portion and the fenced in yard on the south end full of trash and parts for demolition derby cars...

Across the street from L is a closed building that used to be a lawnmower and snowblower dealership, called the Power Center. It's currently abandoned with a barb wire fence. Neighbouring to the south is a dog groomers which has been trying to sell for quite a while, but it's still open it seems.

In general, the street is quite busy and isn't particularly pedestrian friendly. With some work, this area could be made into a trendy interesting extension of Inglewood but man... there's some real messes that need cleaning up.

On the bright side, the scary Tim Burton-esque Local Motive building behind the Ramsay Design Center on 20 Ave S is almost complete after what seems like 4 years of reno's...
I wonder if no one has done anything with M is because it appears the future SE LRT line will go right through the burnt out back end of it. Personally the front seems to just need a bit of work and some paint, it seems to be either in use or recently in use, so keep that and remove the back burnt out parts. The fact the front is usable seems to indicate there's some definate separation from the front and back portions of the building, perfect place to slice it in two.

Last time I saw that Local Motive building it was in the middle of construction, I should check that out this weekend.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Last time I saw that Local Motive building it was in the middle of construction, I should check that out this weekend.
They are just about to pour the parking lot, it appears. The exterior is basically complete. Weird, but complete!

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 2:11 PM

Centre Street's been mentioned, Bridgeland has been mentioned, I'll split the difference and say that the part of Edmonton Trail between the river and, say, 8 Avenue is going to become huge.

You've already got Diner Deluxe and Il Sogno drawing a city-wide crowd. You've got lots of eccentric weirdos, and lots of tasteful infill development going on. All the makings of a really neat neighbourhood.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 3:46 PM

Richard White's picked up on this theme in today's Herald. Maybe he's reading the thread. Link to the posting on the CC page:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3613

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy