HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:25 AM

Beltline equivalent in Edmonton

A friend of mine is moving from Winnipeg to Edmonton. I know she likes the beltline area in Calgary (for the proximity to downtown and more importantly 17th). I am not really that familiar with the neighborhoods in E-town, but what would be the most similar to the Beltline?

Thanks in advance.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:33 AM
Community Guy

I would recommend north of whyte (83ave-sask.drive) from 99st-109st....it is kinda like that area, near UofA, near Whyte, good areas, some funk, and close to downtown.

If not, id say Oliver just off jasper from 109st-120st...

north edge will be our beltline, but it needs 10 yrs.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:34 AM
Round Head

Oliver is your Connaught (western half of Beltline) North Edge is the Victoria Park (eastern half of Beltline).

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:57 AM

are there lots of bars and shops around these areas?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
Oliver is your Connaught (western half of Beltline) North Edge is the Victoria Park (eastern half of Beltline).
By gosh Josh - I am very familiar with the so called "Beltline" in Calgary. Cold is right when he describes the area north of Whyte and N/S West of 109th as similar to the Beltline. I guess you see the N Saskatchewan River as more of an obstacle than we do - but then it is much bigger than the crick running through Calgary. I mean there is nothing on the other side of the crick running through Calgary except near Kensignton.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post

Yeah mon. More bars, restaurants in the Whyte ave area than on 12th and 17th and 24th combined.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:04 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
for bars and shops, 2 places:

1.north of whyte as above - lots of variety of rentals or condos
*even south of whyte is great

2.just off jasper ave from 105st to 120st - nightlife, shops, transit, lots of options for living.

I recommend 104st/99ave-100ave - there are 4 highrise apartments which are mostly students/younger workers, a macs nearby, SOBEYs coming, 2 blocks to LRT, starbucks, shops, rest, nightlife.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Yeah mon. More bars, restaurants in the Whyte ave area than on 12th and 17th and 24th combined.
12th and 24th dont really have a lot of bars and restaurants. 11th and 4st definately do.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
for bars and shops, 2 places:

1.north of whyte as above - lots of variety of rentals or condos
*even south of whyte is great

2.just off jasper ave from 105st to 120st - nightlife, shops, transit, lots of options for living.

I recommend 104st/99ave-100ave - there are 4 highrise apartments which are mostly students/younger workers, a macs nearby, SOBEYs coming, 2 blocks to LRT, starbucks, shops, rest, nightlife.
cheers, I'll pass on the info.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:47 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
By gosh Josh - I am very familiar with the so called "Beltline" in Calgary. Cold is right when he describes the area north of Whyte and N/S West of 109th as similar to the Beltline. I guess you see the N Saskatchewan River as more of an obstacle than we do - but then it is much bigger than the crick running through Calgary. I mean there is nothing on the other side of the crick running through Calgary except near Kensignton.
I always kind of thought the urban form and density in Oliver was similar to Connaught. The area around Whyte seems more similar to Kensington, Lower Mount Royal or Mission in Calgary in terms of scale and density. 17th and Whyte are pretty similar. Of course 17th is the southern border of the Beltline.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy