HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:18 PM
Change is good

Job-mad Calgary lacks fun image

Another bullshit article.... but an article none the less...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Guttormson, Calgary Hearld
Job-mad Calgary lacks fun image
All work, no play is how the rest of Canada sees us

Kim Guttormson
Calgary Herald

Thursday, August 02, 2007

CREDIT: Jenelle Schneider, Calgary Herald
People surveyed by Angus Reid see Calgary as a great place to get a job, but don't rate us well for much else.

If you ask Canadians, Calgary is all work and no play, reinforcing stereotypes that we're a nose-to-the-grindstone city with no nightlife or culture, a new poll says.

An Angus Reid Strategies survey found that 36 per cent of our countrymen think Calgary is the best city to find a job, but fewer than 10 per cent rank it as the spot where they'd want to eat out, shop or enjoy the nightlife -- even though they were consulted just after the 10-day party known as Stampede wrapped up.

Only three per cent of Canadians find us an artsy and cultured city, according to the poll.

"A lot of results in the survey speak to long-standing reputations about each city," said Craig Worden, Angus Reid Strategies vice-president of public affairs. "Calgary is still fighting those.

"Its new image is fighting its old image."

Calgary is even struggling to get respect in its own province. Forty-five per cent of Albertans picked Edmonton as the best city to live in, while only 24 per cent chose Calgary.

Worden offered some comfort by pointing out that in some categories, such as dining out, sports and recreation, nightlife and arts and culture, Calgary "shows up in the top-tier ranking -- quite often it's a statistical tie."

However, the impression the city's been making as an economic powerhouse is reflected in the poll results.

Calgary is the best place to find a job, said 36 per cent of those asked, with Edmonton second at 12 per cent and Toronto third with 10 per cent.

While Toronto was considered the best place to do business, according to 37 per cent, Calgary was next at 16 per cent.

Adam Legge, Calgary Economic Development's director of research and business information, said that every region of the country felt Calgary was the employment hub.

"We're beginning to be seen as Western Canada's business centre," he said. "But it does potentially reflect the need to work on the perception of Calgary in other parts of Canada, beyond the economic opportunity."

Jeff Aplin, with David Aplin Recruiting, said their busiest offices in the country are both in Alberta.

"We're doing more placements (in Calgary) than in Vancouver or Toronto," said Aplin, the vice-president for the Calgary region. "It's garnered so much media attention, the spotlight is on so much. It's created a perfect storm.

"The whole boom in Alberta has sex appeal."

Worden said the overall results of the poll found Canadians are still homers when it comes to ranking their cities.

"It speaks to how highly regionalized we are," he said. "Whenever Canadians turn out to vote, there's a regional aspect to how we vote.

"A province's residents often pick one of their major centres as their favourite."

The poll, which talked to 1,040 people, has a margin of error of plus or minus three per cent, 19 times out of 20.

kguttormson@theherald.canwest.com

Last edited by feepa; Nov 23, 2007 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:30 PM
Derp

Quote:
Calgary is even struggling to get respect in its own province. Forty-five per cent of Albertans picked Edmonton as the best city to live in, while only 24 per cent chose Calgary.
Im surprised by this comment.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:38 PM

Ancient article, boys:

Quote:
Thursday, August 02, 2007
The rest of us have known that Calgary's boring for a few months now.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:57 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
Ancient article, boys:

The rest of us have known that Calgary's boring for a few months now.
Oh geez... I should really look harder at the things I post.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:09 PM

Funny how eating and clubbing show up as top things to do, guess thats a reflection of lazy overweight north americans. You ask an average European where the most entertaining place in Canada is and they would say
Calgary - bike the entire river valley, fish downtown, ice climb, ski, snowboard, show shoe, backcountry ski, mountain climbing, hiking, mountain biking, atv, ice sail, boating, rafting, camping the list can go on, alas most N Americans look for places to eat as defining quality of live.

That being said, I do think Calgary does lack a vibrant down town, but its better then most N American cities.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdurden5573 View Post
Funny how eating and clubbing show up as top things to do, guess thats a reflection of lazy overweight north americans. You ask an average European where the most entertaining place in Canada is and they would say
Calgary - bike the entire river valley, fish downtown, ice climb, ski, snowboard, show shoe, backcountry ski, mountain climbing, hiking, mountain biking, atv, ice sail, boating, rafting, camping the list can go on, alas most N Americans look for places to eat as defining quality of live.

That being said, I do think Calgary does lack a vibrant down town, but its better then most N American cities.
exactly

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:45 PM
brento79

I always enjoy Calgary, don't know why people wouldn't

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:50 PM
Community Guy

When i travel around Canada...people know there are lots of jobs, but most dont like the climate, attitude, distance from other major centres, or things to do.

Most of my Vancouver friends laugh at the thought of moving east...and most from Ontario like the idea of jobs and money, but not location.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:54 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Most of my Vancouver friends laugh at the thought of moving east...
Yeah that was me in 1999.... my how times change...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
... but most dont like the climate, attitude, distance from other major centres, or things to do...
I thought the article was about Calgary, not Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:10 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I thought the article was about Calgary, not Edmonton
ya, cause Calgary is so much closer to other major centers, things to do, attitude, climate...etc than Edmonton?

This article surely could've had either cities name put in it

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:12 PM
Community Guy

when i have people in from out of town they usually visit calgary as well during the trip and the only things they mention are:

-calgary has a lot of office towers
-edmonton has a nice small feel but with everything you need in it
-both are low on things to do
-both are quiet
-both are far from everywhere

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:12 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

It was great being in Germany for 3 weeks. Every time (almost every time at least) I'd tell folks I was from Calgary, their reaction was along the lines of "it's my life's dream to visit there." It was almost embarrassing. Germans idealise Canada in general. I like that.

In Canada, I've never got the "too much work too little play" reaction- that's what they say about Toronto. For Calgary it's either "it must be cold there," or something along the lines of "oh my God how can you STAND living in such a conservative cesspool." And that's not rare.

Oddly enough, I get less hate in Vancouver than in Toronto or Ottawa (I mention these because I've been to each many times since moving here- I didn't have enough conversations with locals in Montreal of QC to reflect on this, both were too short trips with too much work).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:44 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdurden5573 View Post
Calgary - bike the entire river valley, fish downtown, ice climb, ski, snowboard, show shoe, backcountry ski, mountain climbing, hiking, mountain biking, atv, ice sail, boating, rafting, camping the list can go on, alas most N Americans look for places to eat as defining quality of live..
Canadians are some of the silliest people on the planet. Calgarians included.

What you said is exactly correct. People from all over the world pay THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to come here for a week, and only experience a small taste of what there is to do. People do this by the millions every year.

Yet half of Canada has never even bothered to come here. Their dream vacations seem to consist of getting "all you can drunk" on a beach somewhere while avoiding any and all interaction with actual locals. Hell, I know people who've lived in Calgary for DECADES and have only been out to the mountains once or twice. It's a $40 tank of gas for us, so I guess it doesn't seem very special?

It's not often that I agree 100% with the European attitude about things, but in this case, they're bang-on.

Many of us seem to have absolutely no idea just how much there is to do here. More's the pity for them. I spent 20 years trying to decide my #1 choice of places to live based on the fun I could have, and I chose Calgary.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:56 PM

Worden offered some comfort by pointing out that in some categories, such as dining out, sports and recreation, nightlife and arts and culture, Calgary "shows up in the top-tier ranking -- quite often it's a statistical tie."

It doesn't surprise me. I've worked in rural areas, especially northern Alberta, and places like Grande Prairie and Slave Lake, Whitecourt etc... Almost unanimously people like Edmonton better. some people feel Calgary is a snobbish city. There may be some truth to that.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 7:03 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post

It doesn't surprise me. I've worked in rural areas, especially northern Alberta, and places like Grande Prairie and Slave Lake, Whitecourt etc... Almost unanimously people like Edmonton better. some people feel Calgary is a snobbish city. There may be some truth to that.
I think this is Calgary's big weakness, personally. Too many people in that city have the "I'm better than you" attitude. It's a real turn-off.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 7:23 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I think this is Calgary's big weakness, personally. Too many people in that city have the "I'm better than you" attitude. It's a real turn-off.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: when this attitude comes from Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal, it's "justifiable pride". When it comes from Calgary, it's inevitably "snobbishness".

I've seen the same thing ever since the first boom here.

I think it's more pronounced in Calgary (and quite frankly, more justified) because people here have actually CHOSEN to live here by and large. Most of the city is not native-born. We actually have picked this place. Unlike other large Canadian cities, where people's "hometown pride" is often exactly that. You're proud of the place you were born in, not necessarily for any objective reason.

To each their own, I guess. Much like most Torontonians, I don't actually give a shit if someone thinks I'm overly proud of my city.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 7:48 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Calgary is 2 hours closer to the mountains than Edmonton; and as a snowboarder, that makes me extremely envious.

Stupid Calgary and it's closer mountains.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:04 PM
Kid Dynamic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
In what way is this a weakness? People seem to keep on moving here by the thousands year after year. Guess they don't mind the jobs, high standard of living, proximity to the mountains, get things done attitude, etc.

At the end of the day, I'm not losing any sleep over what anyone else in the province or country think about Calgary anyway. Much of the negativity about Calgary from outsiders can be summed up in one word......jealousy.

BTW, anything coming from you Greco Roman in relation to Calgary should outright be ignored. I've said it to you before on previous topics regarding Calgary. You hate Calgary and anything Calgary related. You go out of your way to bash Calgary at every opportunity. Why such the hate for Calgary Greco? I believe it's because you fall into the same category that I was describing in my second paragraph.....jealousy, plain and simple.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Yes, I'm sure he's so JEALOUS because he doesn't wave red-and-neck coloured pom poms.. :rolleeyes:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy