HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:13 PM
arf

^Wait a second. I don't remember seeing Acadians in this thread or the other thread...Admirals, Armada, Privateers, Storm, Citadels, Schooners, Highlanders, Ospreys, Celtics.

Checking the Internet: Fog, Tidal Boars, Kraken, Marauders
Halifax Jersey Concepts on cfl.ca

The Tidal Boars is just a ripoff of Razorbacks, but I kind of like it. Well, not really, the name makes me laugh. But the colour, along with Storm is great I think. Will hit markets that no other CFL team has there.

Having a hard time finding something about Acadians. Please post.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Got picked (lottery with season ticket holders) to be able to go to the Town Hall for the Lions with the commish on Feb 8th. Excited to see what he has to say
If you get a chance, ask him if the CFL has considered putting the playoffs and Grey Cup on CTV instead of on TSN. I'm sure the viewership would increase if it was on a cable channel and not a specialty channel.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Check Twitter... there was a flood of concepts posted in the last few weeks, mostly from (IIRC) the CFL in Halifax account which landed in hot water after it posted the Explosions concept which was one of many.

There were other sources posting concepts too, but I can't remember who they were... I wasn't paying close attention.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The Tidal Boars is just a ripoff of Razorbacks, but I kind of like it.
The Tidal Boars would have worked better if the CFL had made the proper decision and given the franchise to Moncton (we have a bore, Halifax doesn't).

Actually, the French word for this phenomenon is mascaret - how about the Moncton Mascarets

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 1, 2018 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:36 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Tidal Boars would have worked better if the CFL had made the proper decision and given the franchise to Moncton (we have a bore, Halifax doesn't).
The CFL hasn't given a franchise to anyone and there's been no prospective group come out of Moncton signaling intent like there has been in Halifax.

There is no proper decision to be made. Either there are interestrd owners in a city or there isn't.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:43 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Check Twitter... there was a flood of concepts posted in the last few weeks, mostly from (IIRC) the CFL in Halifax account which landed in hot water after it posted the Explosions concept which was one of many.

There were other sources posting concepts too, but I can't remember who they were... I wasn't paying close attention.
NOT TWITTER!!!...

Okay, I found it. I don't really care for it, although I am not much for stars on anything given our neighbours to the South.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
If you get a chance, ask him if the CFL has considered putting the playoffs and Grey Cup on CTV instead of on TSN. I'm sure the viewership would increase if it was on a cable channel and not a specialty channel.
Good Call, Definitely!!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Good Call, Definitely!!
He's all about business and to me, that would be good for business!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 7:59 PM

^ Why wouldn't Bell already be doing that if there was money to be made? Surely the value to TSN of have exclusive rights to the CFL must outweigh the benefit of getting more viewers if CTV aired playoff games.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
^ Why wouldn't Bell already be doing that if there was money to be made? Surely the value to TSN of have exclusive rights to the CFL must outweigh the benefit of getting more viewers if CTV aired playoff games.
Don't know the answer to that. I asked CJJones to ask on my behalf because I'd like to know the reasoning.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:51 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
That could be the business reason on Bell's side of the aisle, but it wouldn't necessarily be the right business/marketing decision from the CFL's perspective.so, it could be something the CFL pushes for.

That said, with the recent ruling that disallows CTV from subbing their ads over the American feed's ads during the Superbowl, maybe Bell will finally put some effort into the Grey Cup since they can no longer just coast on the NFLs/American Network's efforts.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:56 PM

Here's a question... if you're the commish and Bell offers you two deals: one for TSN exclusivity, and one for TSN with playoffs on CTV, but for 25% less money, which deal do you take?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 10:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
^Wait a second. I don't remember seeing Acadians in this thread or the other thread...Admirals, Armada, Privateers, Storm, Citadels, Schooners, Highlanders, Ospreys, Celtics.

Checking the Internet: Fog, Tidal Boars, Kraken, Marauders
Halifax Jersey Concepts on cfl.ca

The Tidal Boars is just a ripoff of Razorbacks, but I kind of like it. Well, not really, the name makes me laugh. But the colour, along with Storm is great I think. Will hit markets that no other CFL team has there.

I thought we were getting away from naming sports teams for ethno-cultural groups?

I am quite predominantly of Acadian origin, was born in the Maritimes and have a majority of my extended family who are Maritime Acadians.

I honestly don't know how they would feel about it... a team named "Acadians" in Halifax not too far from the area the Acadians were deported from, and where very few Acadians are left today.

I am not a very PC person myself but I strongly doubt that this would pass the PC test in 21st century Canada.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
There is an actual BS excuse answer for that question, that it is a TSN property blah, blah, blah, but it should be on OTA TV. The NFL has benefited from the 20% extra possible reach and exposure.

I will never understand why some "Canadians" will build a foreign product over their own, when their own is a very marketable product. What other country does that to the same ridiculous extent that we do? It's like we think they are Supermen or something.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Too close to Total Bore which is almost what the "real thing" has become. Maybe getting rid of the Causeway will help somewhat.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
He's all about business and to me, that would be good for business!
Aside from the GC on OTA TV, he should also be asked to make a Canadian QB development project a top priority (more than what they are doing now) it is the Jackie Robinson position in Canadian football. There is a reason why Russ Jackson is a legend and still a star, a half century on.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Here's a question... if you're the commish and Bell offers you two deals: one for TSN exclusivity, and one for TSN with playoffs on CTV, but for 25% less money, which deal do you take?
OTA, 20% larger potential reach, cable subscriptions lessening, larger potential commercial revenues on CTV.

All you have to look at is the rise of the NFL which Bell publicizes across all its platforms. Have you asked yourself (I have) how any crap American TV show on CTV kills in ratings, it's not the quality of the product.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not a very PC person myself but I strongly doubt that this would pass the PC test in 21st century Canada.
And nobody wants it (the name).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Too close to Total Bore which is almost what the "real thing" has become. Maybe getting rid of the Causeway will help somewhat.
The bore is back!!

It's resurrection began after the causeway gates were permanently opened a few years back. We have tidal bore surfers now.

Video Link

The causeway is being removed as we speak. completion of a replacement bridge will be 2021 (I believe). The bore will be even better then.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:37 PM

My naming preferences for the potential Halifax team would be akin to the New England Patriots. As we know Nova Scotia is latin for New Scotland. I would name the team New Scotland Highlanders or Schooners...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada