HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
Parking deck at 2 N Royal?

ugh eeewww

Thats not the place, nor does the place have a need with the city deck a few feet away.

Thats a good spot for a office or mixed use building.
I agree... Any new parking decks should be built north of Dauphin or at the Civic Center. We don't need more parking in the CBD/Governement plaza area. If we have to build a parking deck, how about one for the civic center so that the parking lots can be redeveloped. All new parking decks should be required to have retail on all four sides making them look like buildings with parking hidden on the insides. Charleston just finished a deck like this and you can barely tell it has a deck. Just a couple of entrances/exits on opposite sides of the building with the rest of the streetscape containing retail/office space.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 1:57 AM

I did a little walking around after dinner downtown tonight and alot of projects have had some progress. Matress Factory balconies were being poored. Hancock Bank has began renovating the bottom of St Emanuel Place and they have some temporary signage and window dressing stuff up. Maybe having some rent flowing in on the first floor will help speed up the loft conversions upstairs. There was an older couple moving furnishings into this project on Dauphin:

We peeked in and the townhomes all have hardwood floors or 18x18 ceramic tile with nice wood stairwells, crown moldings etc.

The Carriage Works project:

Still no progress...Maybe waiting on presales or money, I don't know. The sign claims there will be 4 2 bedroom townhomes. It looks like it will be two to three seperate structures with maybe parking in between.
There was no progress on the coffee shop that is opening on Royal next to compass. Wachovia also has not moved into its space in the bottom of the Battle House parking deck either but they have a ATM open. Hampton Inn has put a sign up on there new construction site. That was all I noticed during my trip.

Last edited by nimsjus; May 16, 2007 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 2:32 AM
<- My idol

How does anyone think a TCBY would do downtown?

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkp View Post
How does anyone think a TCBY would do downtown?

I have an addiction to that crap.... I spend $40 per month on it, so you could count me in as a patron every time I get a chance.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 1:00 PM
God help us

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
I have an addiction to that crap.... I spend $40 per month on it, so you could count me in as a patron every time I get a chance.
Screw that; count me in as a damn investor!

(I, along with Austin, also suffer from an unbreakable addiction to that sweet soft serve.....)

"You cannot help men by doing for them when they could and should, do for themselves" - Abraham Lincoln

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 2:11 PM
<- My idol

My wife and I have an application in right now. We have a few locations in mind, but if we move forward, it will only be downtown.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 2:56 PM

I think that is a great idea!! I would stop by almost everyday while I'm out downtown. What area of downtown are you thinking of putting it?? I live in Midtown and it would sure beat driving to west Mobile to get some of that ice cream.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:00 PM
<- My idol

It has to be a high traffic area - Royal or Dauphin. The rent is higher but you have to be there right now. There are several properties that would fit the bill. If we move forward, I think we will be getting into a location by the end of the summer and hopefully opening in the fall. I am not a fan of franchises, but with such a niche product, I am not sure how well a non brand name business would go. Plus, without any local competition in the area, I don't think it will be an issue as long as the building maintains its historical character - and it will because I am very anal about that.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:15 PM

I think the TCBY idea is a great one. You arent running any local businesses doing the same thing out of business(none exist) and it brings another name brand option to downtown. I would think if you could get somewhere between the hotels on Royal, Dauphin, the parks, and the cruise terminal. I can't even imagine how much money could be made with a TCBY across from Cathedral Square or Bienville. I guess that is the high rent district too though. Good Luck with the venture!

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:47 PM

700 more jobs for Mobile:

http://www.al.com/news/press-registe...160.xml&coll=3

What do you do after landing ThyssenKrupp AG, the biggest industrial prospect in Alabama history? Keep working. Members of the Mobile Industrial Development Board on Wednesday approved tax breaks for three new projects that collectively could create 700 local jobs.

ThyssenKrupp announced last week it would build a proposed $3.7 billion, 2,700-worker steel mill in north Mobile County. IDB members were briefed on the German steelmaker's plans Monday, then met again Wednesday to approve incentive packages for two existing manufacturers and a third that is eyeing Mobile.

The group is led by Austal USA, which is proposing a $34 million expansion of its Mobile shipyard. The project includes construction of a $4 million router shop and a $30 million assembly bay and bulkhead along the Mobile River.

Advertisement

Austal received a break on local, non-educational property and sales taxes worth an estimated $1.2 million over 10 years, based on the creation of 400 jobs at an average salary of $43,870. The project would raise Austal's total employment to 1,123 workers.

"We've had a lot of wonderful news over the past week, and this is another very exciting project for us," said Bill Sisson, vice president of economic development for the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce.

Construction of the router shop will begin within the next two weeks and be completed within seven to eight months, according to Austal officials. Construction of the assembly bay would begin early next year and take about a year to complete.

EADS CASA received a $1.6 million package of tax breaks tied to construction of a pair of aircraft hangars at Mobile Regional Airport.

The $46.5 million project includes a 38,000-square-foot hangar that will serve as the final delivery center for all EADS CASA aircraft sold to North American customers. The company, a Spanish subsidiary of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co., broke ground on the hangar in April and is scheduled to complete construction by the end of this year.

A second phase of the project would include construction of a 90,000-square-foot aircraft assembly plant, contingent on the company and its partner, Raytheon Corp., winning a contract to build light cargo planes for the U.S. Army and Air Force. A decision is expected by June 7.

If successful, the team would create a minimum of 150 jobs at Mobile Regional paying an average annual salary of about $38,000. EADS CASA currently employs 25 workers in Mobile.

"This is a project that kind of gets overshadowed by some of the other things we have going on, but it really has a lot of long-term potential for our community," said Bay Haas, executive director of the Mobile Airport Authority.

Also Wednesday, the IDB approved a $179,000-package of tax breaks for Southeastern Builders and Developers LLC, a Columbus, Ohio-based company that is evaluating sites for a proposed $9.1 million modular home factory.

Company officials said they've narrowed their search to sites in Theodore, Century, Fla., and Hattiesburg, Miss. Southeastern Builders would assemble modular homes for the booming housing market along the northern Gulf Coast, according to Steve Lambert, the company's president.

"We've identified this area as one of the fastest-growing markets in the country, and we've got to be close to it or else we get eaten up by transportation costs," Lambert said.

The project would create 150 jobs over the next two years at an average annual salary of $36,000, according to the company. Lambert said he expects to choose a location within the next four weeks and have the plant up and running by Oct. 15.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:55 PM
<- My idol

Mobile is going to have to start seriously recruiting, both from our limited pool of unemployed and more importantly from other states and internationally. We are going to have a major labor shortage with all of these projects.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 5:43 PM

I agree....we need to recruit from out of state big time or even from the northern part of the state. This could become a major problem for us in the future.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb401 View Post
I agree....we need to recruit from out of state big time or even from the northern part of the state. This could become a major problem for us in the future.
Your best bet would probably be out of state. The Birmingham area is seeing record-low unemployment right now (somewhere around 2.8-3.0%). I believe all of Alabama, in fact, is seeing some record-low unemployment.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 7:26 PM

Well I didn't necessarily mean B-ham but places like Red Bay, AL. I would hate to attract people from shrinking communities. We might just have to recruit out of the region and international like pkp said.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 7:34 PM

I hope and think that all of the positive economic indicators (thousands of new jobs, high income growth, low cost of living, low unemployment, etc) coming out of Alabama will encourage alot of young couples to move Alabama from areas where supply exceeds demand. I think Alabama's brilliant economic development team has created an environment such that Alabama will be pretty much second to noone in terms of attracting business and development. I think decades from now, Governor Riley will be regarded as one of the key people that changed the whole face of Alabama.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 8:03 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
I hope and think that all of the positive economic indicators (thousands of new jobs, high income growth, low cost of living, low unemployment, etc) coming out of Alabama will encourage alot of young couples to move Alabama from areas where supply exceeds demand. I think Alabama's brilliant economic development team has created an environment such that Alabama will be pretty much second to noone in terms of attracting business and development. I think decades from now, Governor Riley will be regarded as one of the key people that changed the whole face of Alabama.
Many Huntsville companies that recruit out of the state are finding the biggest obstacle to getting people here is the stereotype the state has.
"Yes we do have electricity and wear shoes" "No we are not all rednecks"
However once they come they love it, many are shocked to find that Alabama has mountains, beaches, and modern retail centers. The cheap housing realtive to the rest of the country is also a big selling point.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 9:42 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Alabama is a new born state now, it's just going to take awhile for the people outside of the state, and specifically those who don't know Alabama to realize.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Many Huntsville companies that recruit out of the state are finding the biggest obstacle to getting people here is the stereotype the state has.
"Yes we do have electricity and wear shoes" "No we are not all rednecks"
However once they come they love it, many are shocked to find that Alabama has mountains, beaches, and modern retail centers. The cheap housing realtive to the rest of the country is also a big selling point.
Without getting too specific, I work for a marketing company and last year had the chance to observe several focus groups at the major regional metros regarding the state’s image. All the other regional metros actually had a fairly positive image of the state. The one glaring exception was the focus group in Atlanta (we didn't do Charlotte although I would've expected it to mirror ATL.)

Why the big discrepancy between Atlanta and the other regional metros? Because Atlanta is a much more ‘cosmopolitan’ city with a MASSIVE influx of recent transplants (predominantly from the rust belt and the NE.) It was frustrating to hear the stereotypical remarks leveled toward Alabama, especially considering the fact that Georgia is no different outside the downtown Atlanta region (even suburban Atlanta is no different than suburban B'ham.) And you would think that some of the older transplants would’ve had some of their prejudices softened by now, but that didn't appear to be the case (it's as if Atlanta was an island unto itself.) It was yet another strong reminder that we have a LONG way to go in shaking the stereotypes that people outside the region hold toward our state.

It’s not shocking really. I deal with business contacts all over the country and I never cease to be amazed at the redneck perception (in spite of the fact that they’re ironically calling on us, an Alabama-based company, for professional help.) I’m honestly not sure we’ll ever be able to shake the image – at least not for several generations. If the business environment is thriving though that’s the important thing. Smart business leaders can look beyond the cultural stereotypes to the bottom-line.

Last edited by Grogck; May 18, 2007 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:48 AM

In regards to Industrial Recruitment and its future: My opinion:

I have moved my post to the ThyssenKrupp Thread because of after the fact relevancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb401 View Post

They HAVE actually been doing better than the south has, though the south has pretty much caught up. Finding workers in NAL is about the same difficulty as in the Mob. The best bet would be to advertise in Michigan. Seriously, Wyoming, who has a labor shortage do to the coal industry, has been putting up billboards in economically distressed northern areas. The ADO should begin working on a plan to implement such for the state of Alabama.

Just think, you are a layed off Chrysler worker who is living off unemployment insurance and you see a sign that has a picture of Mobile, and says For Jobs jobs jobs galore call x number, and then it changes your life? Cause it has for thousands already.

Last edited by austin356; May 18, 2007 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:54 AM
All things are possible

Grogck...Hearing what Atlanta people think of Alabama is hardly a surprise. As a native Georgian...we think Atlanta is a foreign country. The white collar workers at the mill will be recruited mostly from the South and Mobile is considered a prime location for young people and professionals. If you are like so many other B'hamers you like to come down here and visit the area to eat the seafood and enjoy the seashore....lots of other young peope from all over the South see the same thing. Young and old, get your resumes out and come on down...jobs are plentiful and the water is beautiful. We have a great job for YOU!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast