HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
yeah they work and I had no idea Salt Lake City had a light rail system like that.
I love SLC's light rail! They have about 20 miles of light rail and 40 miles of commuter rail right now, but will double the cummuter rail in 2 years to 80 miles and more than double the light rail over the next couple years to about 50. Then there is an extensive street-car system in the works (funding via a city tax was recently approved). I love to see cities, like SLC, invest in rails. Trains bring such life and commerce to a city in a clean, sustainable, and attractive way.

From Comrades post, these are my favorite pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Salt Lake's Main Street is probably the most known street in the city, having established itself when the city was just starting.

Main Street today:

Quote:
^^^
Wow! That place looks awesome! I just cant stand it though when a main street society plants trees all up along the streets. Then you cant see the buildings. I mean, come on. In my opinion trees are totally out of context within the history of most main streets and historic districts. If you look at historic pictures, there are never any trees along them. If I wanted to see a street lined with trees, Id go to the burbs. I want to see the damn buildings. Adding trees and blocking the views of the historic buildings is just as bad as putting those shitty slip covers they put over the buildings in the 60s. Yuck.
I would have to disagree that trees are bad in a down town. I think they bring a touch of nature to the city and add color and flavor to street life. I think SLC's trees are absolutely gorgeous! I do see your point with small towns - the buildings are hidden by the trees. In SLC - and big cities in general - the buildings are tall enough to rise above the trees. I like trees for larger cities, but I agree with you in the cases of smaller towns.

Salt Lake City is truley magnificent!

Last edited by Urban_logic; Mar 29, 2009 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 5:24 PM

Let me introduce you to my favorite city. Her name is San Francisco. In San Francisco, the street commonly associated as being "Main Street" would be Market Street - this is where the world-famous Gay Pride Parade goes down.

-City-data.com

-Unknown

-Unknown

-Me

Ok, so this next one isn't actually of Market Street. Market Street begins right in front of the Fairy Building.

-Me

Here are just some nice city shots:

-Unkown

-Unknown

-Unknown

-Eastbay.org

California Ave.

-Harvard.edu

Last edited by Urban_logic; Mar 29, 2009 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 5:30 PM

One of my favorite Mains is that of the old mining town and now ski resort of Park City.
Noteworthy, not only for it physical charm, but especially for the many travelers that crowd it's streets from
around the world. This is especially evident during the height of ski season and of course, Sundance.
Park City, Utah's Main is literally jammed with historic charm.

Cazimiro

While there are still many visitors and festivals, Summer is a season that is much more relaxed. Main Street details by bookchen

Stairway leading from Main to residential above Main

Typical Park City residential on and above Main

A favorite Sundance hangout, The old Egyptian Theatre on Main

Atelier Teee

Park City Main Street, building pic details by hanneorla

Main Street Pocket Park

These town mascots scattered around Main add to the charm of it all, LOL

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 2:17 AM

Quote:
^^^
Wow! That place looks awesome! I just cant stand it though when a main street society plants trees all up along the streets. Then you cant see the buildings. I mean, come on. In my opinion trees are totally out of context within the history of most main streets and historic districts. If you look at historic pictures, there are never any trees along them. If I wanted to see a street lined with trees, Id go to the burbs. I want to see the damn buildings. Adding trees and blocking the views of the historic buildings is just as bad as putting those shitty slip covers they put over the buildings in the 60s. Yuck.
Then you would totally gag at Greenville, SC's Main Street, which is a 2003 Great American Main Street award winner:

(shots courtesy of forumer Skyliner)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 2:33 AM

Here are some shots along Charlotte's main street, Tryon Street, that I've amassed over the years:

Some shots of the (former) Wachovia Cultural Campus under construction along the southern end of Tryon in Uptown:

And the Duke Energy Center under construction (formerly the Wachovia Corporate Center):

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 2:45 AM

One of the livliest, most historic main streets I've ever experienced on foot, Charleston's King Street:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:08 AM

WILKES-BARRE MAIN STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have no pics
sorry

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture