HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I can tell you that a lot of people at citygate don't want to look at more parking, boat storage, etc. instead of the greenery they were promised years ago.
Mob rule, again? No, thanks.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:02 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

They were promised a park and that's what they'll be getting, they weren't told what that park would look like. They are free not to look at the parking if they choose, all they have to do is close their eyes.
I'm not sure how such a group of vocal nimbies managed to converge into the citygate complex.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I can tell you that a lot of people at citygate don't want to look at more parking, boat storage, etc. instead of the greenery they were promised years ago.
Wait til the streetcar starts running to Gastown!
That little stretch of Prior St. next to the viaduct has a streetacr right-of-way to access the False Creek Flats, too.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:27 AM

people love looking at marinas

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
people love looking at marinas
Marinas yes. Parking and boat strorage, fark no.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:35 PM
ON3P Skis

I think it looks brilliant. Anyone else notice the tennis and basketball courts under the viaducts? Interesting.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:24 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
I think it looks brilliant. Anyone else notice the tennis and basketball courts under the viaducts? Interesting.
Yea, I was under the impression that was going to be space for the future streetcars, or was it a skate park? I guess it can easily be converted.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:51 PM
David

The plans do look great, thanks for posting officedweller...
I love the idea of the "tidal walkway". Has that been done in CoV before? I know Rocky Point Park in Port Moody has one. And I am in love with the idea of sports courts/BMX course/skate park under the viaducts. If the viaducts must remain, I cant think of a better use for the land under them than that!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:04 PM

There's a "tidal walkway" at David Lam Park - thios one looks like a carbon copy.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Here's what was posted regarding the Creekside Park Concept Plan at the City's NEFC website. You can see docks along the Science World deck:

Quote:
Northeast False Creek (NEFC) High Level Review
Creekside Park Extension

When the rezoning of site 6A was considered in 2004, the ODP was amended to delay delivery of the Creekside Park extension until after the last of Areas 6A and 6C was developed. Therefore the timing of the development of a park on Area 9 (Creekside Park extension) is linked to the development of Area 6C. A concept plan (PDF, 1.71MB) was developed in 2006 following a series of community workshops.
Which area is Area 6C? And has it been developed yet? If so, what is the timing of the subsequent development of the park?
What I'm getting at is: This picture looks great, but how LONG are we going to be WAITING for it?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 12:18 AM

I'm guessing the area east of the Plaza of Nations.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I'm guessing the area east of the Plaza of Nations.
Oh, OK. So in other words, this park is not hapenning in the next 10 years or so, basically.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 9:28 PM

Yeah, pretty much.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 6:33 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Okay the NEFC HLR is starting to wrap up, the project keeps getting larger and larger is size, as it stands now there is a minimum commercial density requirement of 1.8M sqft, and they will allow up to an additional 4.1M sqft of residential space (very safe to assume the max residential will be used up). So that's a total of 6M sqft, with 4300 new units housing 7500 new residents. All the stakeholders plan on proceeding once the review is complete. Concord isn't very happy with some aspects of the plan and has submitted a letter stating it's concerns (pretty valid ones in my opinion). Sounds like Concord has plans drawn up as they expect to move ahead in 2010. Anyways it's been a really long day and I don't have the time to summarize the 47page document, hopefully someone else can do it. Enjoy.

http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...cuments/p2.pdf

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 5:40 PM

Whats the greenspace to the northeast of the vaducts, and is the city going to try to promote accessability to that area.

I'm all for another park but this are is already surrounded by parks and all that will happen if the city continues with the creekside park extension is create a mass of deadspace. I feel they should cut the park in half, and either have super-dense residental along a northern split, or an eastern split. I perfer the idea of residential along the eastern side, because it would give the western park more depth (from the water all theway to the vaduct), and would strongly encourage the use o the parkspace if people wanted to walk west to entertainment areas. The lllusion caused by this use would make the park feel less like a dead space, and make it more inviting, thusly not alienating the Eastern flats with the downtown, and making the walk from science world to downtown more inviting.

What use of the waterspace wl be made along the shores of false creek? Any possibility of having structures partialy over or under the water? Fr instance, it has a proposed new VAG locaton along the shoreline. Glass floors above the water or glass ceelings below would be a neat feature to include.

Last edited by Canadian Mind; May 30, 2009 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 5:33 PM
BANNED

The Creekside part extention looks like a giant waste of space, theres already so much parkland there! I say build a high density mid-rise neighbourhood like the olympic village on the land with a bit of park on the seawall! otherwise its just going to be completely empty space!

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 6:03 PM
Cheers!

You may think it's a lot of park space, but remember there are going to be thousands of more people coming to the area over the next decade or two, both in the SEFC, NEFC, and east end of False Creek. Andy Livingstone should not be considered a public park, as most of it is turf playing fields usually reserved for clubs. Even with the park expansion, the park space per person still probably won't be as close to what the rest of Vancouverites get. I think they may want to add in a restaurant or cafe beside the seawall, but that's about it.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 9:51 PM
loafing in lotusland

Not only that... but if it's really as unused as people think it will be, in the future, some kind of entertainment complex or other public use can be built on it.

Can't do that with Condos.

20 years from now maybe there's a need for a gallery or a proposal for some centre of some sort, this would be a good location for it, IF it's not as well used as people think it will be. Just because this is a skyscraper forum doesn't mean it has to be only about concrete and rebar into the sky. Besides, we should keep some space open for more unique building designs 20 years from now.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Not only that... but if it's really as unused as people think it will be, in the future, some kind of entertainment complex or other public use can be built on it.

Can't do that with Condos.

20 years from now maybe there's a need for a gallery or a proposal for some centre of some sort, this would be a good location for it, IF it's not as well used as people think it will be. Just because this is a skyscraper forum doesn't mean it has to be only about concrete and rebar into the sky. Besides, we should keep some space open for more unique building designs 20 years from now.
I'd put a small chunk of change down that any gallery or community development proposal would be scuttled by nimby's defending the quiet creekside ambience under those circumstances. Besides, the art Gallery might already be along the shore, can't concentrate to many of those types of things in one area (VAG and science world right across the street from another).

Even if creekside park proposal were cut in half as I suggested, the people would still have their parkspace, and if in the future more was needed there is still plenty of land left to the immediate south and east ripe for re-development within the next 10-20 years.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 4:43 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Even with creekside extension and the new park space in the plan that area will be well below the city's own recommended ratio for park space. I posted the link with the info in it as I didn't have time to summarize it. But here's a direct quote.

Quote:
The proposed public open spaces would total about 4.4 acres. For comparison, if the City’s neighbourhood park ratio were to be met, it would require an additional 19.8 acres of park land (in addition to the 9 acre Creekside Park extension) for the 7200 additional residents that could be added to NEFC (
So there you have it, I hardly doubt that the park space will be empty with so many people living there, not to mention it's already a destination spot and as false creek gets continuously cleaner people will start using the beach that's planned for the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver