HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Bomber positives??

14 carries for 108 yards and 2 TD's

Sure, it's good. It's a banged up Calgary defense, but I'll take it. That was a reasonably well-played game for this team, but it's still a loss. They still gave up 160 on the ground to Cornish. I think I remarked a while back that both lines were weak and I think this proved it. The bombers need to be able to put together at least one side of the ball and they just can't seem to.

On the positive side, I really don't see the same total incompetence on display as I have the last couple of seasons. I'm not convinced the record is quite as reflective as one might have you believe. Either way, it's another short season and the season ticket holders really deserve an opportunity to cheer for meaningful games past August...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:14 PM

Grigsby to Hamilton where I don't doubt he competes to start with Gable on the shelf.

Pretty soft landing given their recent resurgence.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Grigsby to Hamilton where I don't doubt he competes to start with Gable on the shelf.

Pretty soft landing given their recent resurgence.
It sure worked out for him, didn't it? On one hand you want to see people who quit on their team get their due, but on the other it looks like he made a savvy call. I'm sure he'll do well there.

Oh well, not like there was any doubt that he'd wind up somewhere else pretty quickly.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It sure worked out for him, didn't it? On one hand you want to see people who quit on their team get their due, but on the other it looks like he made a savvy call. I'm sure he'll do well there.

Oh well, not like there was any doubt that he'd wind up somewhere else pretty quickly.
Yeah, especially when it happens to your team! But, like I said before, I can hardly blame the guy. If you fall a couple spots down the depth chart for a shitty team because your coach is already preparing for next year, you've gotta worry you'll be forgotten. He's going to get lots of opportunity with Hamilton to showcase and he's a very solid all-purpose back.

I like to see good young athletes succeed in the CFL because it really helps the league. I'd like to see it more in Winnipeg(!), but a league with good star-power is good for everybody.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:03 PM

Unbelievable, the BB have not been mathematically eliminated from a play-off spot yet ?!?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 8:40 PM

The collapse of the Riders after Durrant was lost for the season, the slow start for the Lions and the relatively poor season the eastern teams have had are what is keeping the Bombers slim playoff hope alive.

A win by both BC and Edmonton this weekend though eliminates the Bombers and makes the Riders a long shot at playoff hopes.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:01 PM

I think the Riders have clinched already. The math says so. But the Bombers, jeez louise lol only in the CFL can a team who's lost 7 or 8 straight make the playoffs. The Bombers are hanging by a string that's got one thread left. They need everything to go right to make it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:08 PM

^^ CB..Yes, Very unusual season, many factors contributing to the math, still, they have to play the games though...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think the Riders have clinched already. The math says so. But the Bombers, jeez louise lol only in the CFL can a team who's lost 7 or 8 straight make the playoffs. The Bombers are hanging by a string that's got one thread left. They need everything to go right to make it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 5:55 PM

Can the Bombers just forfeit to Calgary?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 8:08 PM

And this my friends, is a simple summary of yet another BB's season in a nutshell, images for effect.........

mentalfloss.com

*** On a positive note: Grigsby 6 carries for 6 yards.impressive ****

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 10:49 PM

I was cringing every time Winnipeg snapped the ball in the 4th quarter. Drew's obviously a tough kid, but a body can only take so much pounding. I recall commenting back in the summer that the Bombers' O-line had to imporve or Willy was not going to last the season. From what I saw, the receiving corps may have been equally to blame, as no one seemed open on many plays. Regardless of the cause, I really believe that Willy should sit out the last couple games of the year, now that the playoffs are out of the question. He's a talented young man, no use risking injury for nothing at this point. Plus, game experience is always valuable for the backups.

BTW, what the hell's up with the Bisons? They hammer the Huskies last week and then go down 28-0 early to the 1-5 Rams, before eventually losing in a more respectable fashion. I thought that the Huskies were the Canada West team that played to the level of their competition, playing well against the good teams and scraping by against the poor ones. Well, the Herd took it a step past that, as they nearly (should have) beat Calgary, demolished the Dogs and then manage to lose to the Bears and the Rams. They bring inconsistency to a whole new level...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I was cringing every time Winnipeg snapped the ball in the 4th quarter. Drew's obviously a tough kid, but a body can only take so much pounding. I recall commenting back in the summer that the Bombers' O-line had to imporve or Willy was not going to last the season. From what I saw, the receiving corps may have been equally to blame, as no one seemed open on many plays. Regardless of the cause, I really believe that Willy should sit out the last couple games of the year, now that the playoffs are out of the question. He's a talented young man, no use risking injury for nothing at this point. Plus, game experience is always valuable for the backups.
Sounds like a prudent move, but apparently he's starting against Calgary. It's difficult to understand the teams brain trust at times.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Sounds like a prudent move, but apparently he's starting against Calgary. It's difficult to understand the teams brain trust at times.
I liked Doug Brown's idea of playing Brohm and Marve with the goal of using one of them as trade bait for something the Bombers really need. Why let Willy get beat up for nothing?

With an o-line like ours, all I can say it's a good thing Pierce retired when he did.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
I liked Doug Brown's idea of playing Brohm and Marve with the goal of using one of them as trade bait for something the Bombers really need. Why let Willy get beat up for nothing?

With an o-line like ours, all I can say it's a good thing Pierce retired when he did.
The question is whether Buck Pierce would have had to retire at all without having played behind this line for as many years as he did.

I have no idea why anybody would risk playing their franchise quarterback behind an demonstrably inept offensive line in a meaningless game against a dangerous Calgary linebacking corp.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:14 PM

Quote:

Well if we've learned anything this year, (not much I suppose), It should be the fact that we do have a quality quarterback with potential. The problem at this position besides the starter, was the back up issue(see Sask and what happened this year).

Starting our back up(s) is a no brainer and preparation for next year and insurance should our anointed #1 become injured sounds like common sense.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 10:08 PM

Willy for BB's MOP award?
Closing in on 4K yards in his rookie season and to his credit survived in one piece behind our non-existent O-Line?
Yeah, I agree with O'Shea on this call.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:28 PM

Not sure if Willy is the MOP this year but the only other Bomber I think deserves serious consideration is Hajrullahu. Both were a significant improvement over the players we ended last season with.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Not sure if Willy is the MOP this year but the only other Bomber I think deserves serious consideration is Hajrullahu. Both were a significant improvement over the players we ended last season with.
Good call. People discount the value of a kicker until you have a shitty one you can't rely on...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:13 PM

The other think that often is overlooked with Hajrullahu is he is the team's kicker but suddenly found himself also needing to cover punting this season. That there is no real complaints about either aspect of the game and that we got field goals more often than not, and some from a long distance, this is a huge and often overlooked change for the team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan