HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Ahhh.. It's one game, uni is OK, people are reading into it like it's thier new uniform for years to come. Hell if they win with it they can petition the league to wear it all season.
Yeah, for one game they can wear pink polka dots for all it matters.

I'm surprised that they would only wear it once, though... that would make it tough to sell (and isn't that the point)? Commit to wearing it twice a year for the next 3 years and the team could probably move a bunch of them.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 PM

I thought they are wearing them for two games, with Banjo bowl being one? Could be wrong, but 2 games isn't much more than one game..

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, for one game they can wear pink polka dots for all it matters.

I'm surprised that they would only wear it once, though... that would make it tough to sell (and isn't that the point)? Commit to wearing it twice a year for the next 3 years and the team could probably move a bunch of them.
True Esquire, the marketing scheme behind this endevour is a little odd. Haven't quite figured out why only 1 time. Could be a test with the market, see how it flies and decide if it is or may be profitable now or in the future.

With the short notice on the release, it seems like something that was done without much thought for the future or going forward.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I thought they are wearing them for two games, with Banjo bowl being one? Could be wrong, but 2 games isn't much more than one game..
I keep reading only 1 game from the media/players.

If it is 2 our lids will surpass the watermelons the riders were wearing in aesthetics, no question.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 7:24 PM

wpmedia.sports.nationalpost.com

Well, same outcome in these:

https://twitter.com/bkives

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:32 PM

Riders trying to rile up Bombers fans in advance of Labour Day and Banjo Bowl

Source

So it begins. Bring it on.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:37 PM

Is the only location the one on Plessis? If so, terrible location if they actually wanted some exposure! I wonder if they get to choose a location, or just get stuck wherever there's availability.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Is the only location the one on Plessis? If so, terrible location if they actually wanted some exposure! I wonder if they get to choose a location, or just get stuck wherever there's availability.
I guess folks from Regina naturally gravitate to places way out in the middle of nowhere that no one ever sees.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:19 PM

Poor kitty, I undersatand it's pain. What were those people thinking?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:47 PM

Used to be a fair bit of traffic there before work started on the Plessis underpass....now, not so much lol! Go Bombers Go!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
It is significantly more money for a billboard if you want to choose the location hahaha.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Riders trying to rile up Bombers fans in advance of Labour Day and Banjo Bowl

Source

So it begins. Bring it on.
Well, it worked in Vancouver. Cost the Lions a lot more than the price of a billboard...

On a side note-the comments on that article are hilarious. Typical tired Winnipeg "Saskies are inbreds" jokes (with a few enlightened folks who know the real deal), one goofball who wonders why no one lives in Sask if it's so great, but the one that really made me laugh is the guy (or gal, I suppose) who thinks of the cost of that billboard as a donation. Jim Pattison (who was born in Sask, btw) might look at it that way, but I don't know that anyone in Winnipeg benefits from it (except maybe the guy getting $12/hr to change the sign...)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 9:17 PM

CJOB is reporting that Jim Bell the VP of Finance is leaving Friday due to philosophical differences with Wade Miller.

http://www.cjob.com/2014/08/26/45729/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
Well, it worked in Vancouver. Cost the Lions a lot more than the price of a billboard...

On a side note-the comments on that article are hilarious. Typical tired Winnipeg "Saskies are inbreds" jokes (with a few enlightened folks who know the real deal), one goofball who wonders why no one lives in Sask if it's so great, but the one that really made me laugh is the guy (or gal, I suppose) who thinks of the cost of that billboard as a donation. Jim Pattison (who was born in Sask, btw) might look at it that way, but I don't know that anyone in Winnipeg benefits from it (except maybe the guy getting $12/hr to change the sign...)
Really, nobody cares. It just shows that these Rider fans have nothing better to do but waste time and money. A Winnipeg radio station did this what 10 years ago and Riderville is still going on about it. Must have really tweaked a nerve!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
CJOB is reporting that Jim Bell the VP of Finance is leaving Friday due to philosophical differences with Wade Miller.

http://www.cjob.com/2014/08/26/45729/
I take it as Wade opening the purse strings a bit to win fans back. Jim likely said you're crazy and he gone!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 11:14 PM

Bombers released a statement saying its a restructuring. Usually companies restructure when they have money problems.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...icer-1.2747737

Last edited by cllew; Aug 26, 2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: link to CBC report

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Really, nobody cares. It just shows that these Rider fans have nothing better to do but waste time and money. A Winnipeg radio station did this what 10 years ago and Riderville is still going on about it. Must have really tweaked a nerve!
The Bombers did the exact same thing in Regina just a couple of years ago...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:21 PM

The billboard is a great idea, in my opinion. It's a win-win for both teams, as it gets people talking about the game and rivalry - just look at the posts above. I am a little baffled about people who actually get pissed off about this type of thing, though. It's just marketing - life is too short to get worked about about stuff like this.

Admittedly, the "Green in the new Orange" billboard near BC place was much better, but it certainly did the job there and resulted in the most-hyped game of the year thus far in the CFL.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
The Bombers did the exact same thing in Regina just a couple of years ago...
Did your read my post you quoted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
The billboard is a great idea, in my opinion. It's a win-win for both teams, as it gets people talking about the game and rivalry - just look at the posts above. I am a little baffled about people who actually get pissed off about this type of thing, though. It's just marketing - life is too short to get worked about about stuff like this.

Admittedly, the "Green in the new Orange" billboard near BC place was much better, but it certainly did the job there and resulted in the most-hyped game of the year thus far in the CFL.
I'll agree the BC one was better.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:45 PM

I know I should be more optimistic about the Bombers chances heading into the LDC, but sadly, Mosaic Stadium is where Bomber fan optimism has gone to die in recent seasons. Given the mediocre offensive production that the Bombers have had the past few games, I'm worried that they will be outmatched... with the injuries they've had, the O-Line has trouble with lesser teams, let alone the Riders' front seven.

Anyway, all I can say is that I hope I'm proven wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan