HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Great story in the FP about a guy who vowed to wear shorts until the Bombers won the Grey Cup, one week before the 2001 Cup in Montreal ... 28 years later.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...494415461.html
Might wanna check your math there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Might wanna check your math there.
why? I'm just extrapolating.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 9:17 PM

Here's an excerpt from Paul Wiecek's column today, in which he pointed out the Bomber's revenues have been enough since they moved into IGF to pay their debt and mortgage.

"Imagine going into a bank and saying: "Look, I know we both agreed to amortize my mortgage over 45 years. And I know I’ve successfully been making my payments for the last five years. But I’ve decided paying my debts is no longer ‘sustainable’ for me, despite the fact nothing has recently changed with my financial situation, except that it has improved.
"So how about you write off the entire loan and, from now on, I will give you 10 bucks a month and we’ll call it even. Deal?"
You’d get run out of any respectable bank. But, well, government...
I understand why the Bombers and Miller would be willing to swallow a little pride and announce, after further review, they’d prefer to be just another deadbeat living off the taxpayers. A little pride is a small price to pay for an almost-free stadium.
I understand why the Tories — a party that sells itself on its supposedly prudent financial stewardship — would do so: it’s another chance to blame the previous NDP government for something.
In the end, the only losers in this shady deal are the taxpayers and the fans of a football team that now, once again, has zero incentive to improve its product.
Do you know what was great about having the Bombers owning a mortgage that tested their limits every year? It forced them to get better — on the field and off — after decades of gross incompetence.
You can argue everything good that has happened to this team in the last few seasons — from the upgraded Canadian talent on the field to the improved gameday experience off of it — has its roots in a financial arrangement that demanded, if not excellence, at least competence in a way not the case when they played at old Canad Inns Stadium."

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:28 PM

Bomber’s win! If the defence keeps playing like this it won’t matter that we have an average QB. Two wins in a row and beating Edmonton at home. Like I said, it’s the CFL. Anything can happen.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 4:44 PM

Wade Miller said something to the effect of they will continue to make payments on the debt. Not sure how that will work, but what I heard somewhere on the radio I believe.

A couple articles here. Some numbers were provided on the payments and interest.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.4843112
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...pleb-1.4841230

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:08 PM

We might never know for sure, but it really does seem like this idea came from the government, and not the Bombers asking for help. They'd have to be foolish to turn it down, so I don't really blame them.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:44 PM

Well Miller is attached to the party, he ran for the Conservatives. The whole communications of this has been terrible. It's been written off but they are still paying?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:49 PM

^ I don't recall Wade Miller ever running for office. Jim Bell did a few years back, maybe that's who you're thinking of?

That said, I agree that this whole thing has been poorly communicated. The need for this whole rearrangement in the first place was never made clear.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 9:08 PM

I feel like it's one of Brian P's grand plans to make the NDP look stupid. Sure there may be and likely are legitimate reasons. But he does not communicate very well besides being a pompous ass.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't recall Wade Miller ever running for office. Jim Bell did a few years back, maybe that's who you're thinking of?

That said, I agree that this whole thing has been poorly communicated. The need for this whole rearrangement in the first place was never made clear.
Chris Walby also ran for MLA in North Kildonan a number of years ago. I can't remember if it was as a Liberal or PC.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Yeah, now that I think about it. Not Jim Bell, but Lyle Bauer - of course there was also Trevor Kennard.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 9:24 PM

Looks like it was the Liberals for Walby.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 1:48 AM

wow really pounded us lol

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 12:53 PM

^ I went home happy on Saturday

Lately it seems that every western division matchup has been a coin toss... this is turning into a really tight race.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 4:14 PM

While I had expected the Bombers to beat the Riders on the weekend, I certainly didn't expect it to be a shut out. Normally the Riders' defence or special teams can be counted on to contribute some points. I wasn't able to watch the 2nd half of the game, but apparently missed absolutely nothing, so that worked out OK.

Bombers looked solid and appear to have have righted the ship and are playing well heading into the playoffs. Even though the Riders should still make the playoffs, it will be a very short run with the state of their offence.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:43 PM

It's clear Collaros is not the elite QB he was made out to be when arriving in the CFL. Third team now where he hasn't been able to figure it out.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:47 PM

He actually was an elite QB at one point but never the same after his big injury.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:18 AM

I don’t think 1.5 great seasons make you elite. Don’t think he’s ever lead a team to finishing above .500 until this year – and it is certainly not Saskatchewan’s offence that’s gotten them to that position this year.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
He actually was an elite QB at one point but never the same after his big injury.
So he was elite but not a superstar?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:29 PM

Collaros looked poised to take the next step but he has kind of fizzled this year. He's more a Drew Willy-calibre QB than a Bo Levi Mitchell... good backup, a somewhat competent starter if you're in a pinch, but not someone who is going to win you a championship.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan