HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 8:10 AM

Taiwan National Drama Arts Center

Design by Artech Architects
The design idea come from only facilities use in Beijing Opera, that is one table and two chairs. Taiwan National Drama Arts Center is specific design for all Chinese Opera. The main designer is 姚仁喜.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:25 PM

more grey buildings. tho i like the shape, just more grey boxes rotated at different angles. taiwanese just love their grey concrete boxes! and the configuration of those buildings dont even match well with the triangular shape of the plot.

taiwan seriously needs to hire more foreign architects to bringing in totally new innovative ideas and "thinking outside the box".

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:40 PM

I like architects try to interpret what Chinese Opera is all about, one table and two chairs. Most Chinese opera only use table and two chairs and a couple of actors for their drama. That is biggest feature of Chinese opera.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 8:49 PM

they dont look like one table and two chairs at all nor do they even look "chinese". i bet som (skidmore owings merrill) firm who designed jin mao in shanghai and cesar pelli who designed petronas towers in kuala lumpur can do a better interpretation of modern asian architecture. i like kris yao/artech but his designs and concepts cannot compete with the world's best tho he's better than other taiwanese local architects.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:45 PM

You can argue with that. I believe designers have to understand what is Chinese opera first before try to interpret Chinese opera in their designs. It is always big challenge when you try to put ancient culture and modern buildings together.
So if you take idea of two chair and one table to interpret what Chinese opera is about. How do you design it? They are traditional wooden furniture you can see most Chinese and Taiwanese house, especially country side. Maybe he should use brown colour rather than white and grey colour.

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; Apr 24, 2012 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post
So if you take idea of two chair and one table to interpret what Chinese opera is about. How do you design it? They are traditional wooden furniture you can see most Chinese and Taiwanese house, especially country side. Maybe he should use brown colour rather than white and grey colour.
umm yea that would be a big improvement!! materials/colors are a big factor in successful architectural design and concept. most of taiwan's buildings are grey concrete. they dont even bother to paint he concrete or tint it some other color - everything is just grey!! i know you can blame the developers for wanting to using concrete. but how much of it is the architects' fault for not pushing to utilize other materials/colors cuz maybe the developers havent thought of it themselves? using wood or wood-like material and natural looking colors would be a huge improvement in this design as ancient chinese furniture are made of wood. look at beitou's library. all wood building which blends in with the green mountainous environment.

i'm familiar with kris yao's work and as much as i like some of his designs, i noticed much of it is concrete.they dont even paint the concrete or tint the concrete - everything is just grey! that's what most of taiwan's buildings are like, even the new ones! :/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan