HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 11:20 AM
Unregistered Loser

All this talk about new restaurants uptown is making me hungry! I'm going to commit to eating uptown exclusively for the next year, and avoid the east side scene. Anyone with me on that?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
All this talk about new restaurants uptown is making me hungry! I'm going to commit to eating uptown exclusively for the next year, and avoid the east side scene. Anyone with me on that?
I'm on board! Not hard to do this though....I find the east side is purely a bunch of chains catering to a younger, sports watching crowd. You couldn't pay me to to go!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 12:10 AM

Jungle Jims will be vacating their uptown location for the former West side Blockbuster location.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Jungle Jims will be vacating their uptown location for the former West side Blockbuster location.
As someone who likes JJ's wing night but hasn't often gone in the past 5 years on account of working on the West side, this could mean bad things for the state of my waistline.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:02 PM

Hopskotch Whiskey Bar is due to open mid August. Was supposed to be this month, but there was a little delay. Better late than never!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 1:31 PM

Quote:
That's too bad. I do enjoy wing night and the occasional visit for a casual meal. Never fancy but decent food for a fair price. The atmosphere and theme is what kept me as a customer to their restaurants across the province. Sad to see JJ's leave uptown. As an East side resident I will prob find myself going to their Quispamsis location as friends and family live out there.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Oh, I don't disagree with you on the Foodies Paradise comment whatsoever! It really is. In the past 5-7 years we've added so many new restaurants, I don't think any other city in the province can even come close to what we have to offer in their downtown core. It's nothing short of amazing.

Now with that being said - what we have I've noticed is almost confusing to a lot of the locals. I find what we have now is appealing to the upper class (Decimal 81, Port City Royal) and the Middle Class (Britts, Bourbon Quarter, Cask and Kettle). Personally - I like it that way. It just adds to the amazing vibe. But with that being said. The lower class and even the lower middle class is essentially being left out. They are not going to go to a "Fancy Place" (Yes - I've heard people on social media call Britt's and Picaroons General fancy. I disagree with them. But it is what I've seen.

Now those types of people would definitely gravatate to a more established name like Boston Pizza, or anything really with brand recognition. The way I see it, if we can get the lower classes of people into the Uptown core to a national brand. They will very quickly open their eyes to all the other amazing offerings the Uptown has to offer, and try something more Local or FANCY like Britts.

I dunno... like I said - I really am beyond impressed with what we've been doing Uptown as of late. But I do think a couple National names could be added in. Create more of a critical mass, and everyone can work together cohesively.

Just my two cents.
I agree with your post. Well said. I would add that as our income has changed over the years and as we went from a couple, to a family with kids , to a family with older teenagers, that we've experienced everything from fast food to fine dining. I don't always want to pay $30 for an entree or even $5 for a combo. As they say variety is the spice of life and I like the restuarant offerings we have in Saint John. I have an issue with paying for parking (anywhere, anytime - call me cheap lol) so for me I usually avoid the M-F daytime hours Uptown unless I park for free and walk. That said, I'd pay to park for a Cheesecake Factory, I'd pay premium or valet even haha. Mmmmm

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 12:23 AM
Spem Reduxit

Quote:
Well, the west side just got a little better, and just when I thought it couldn't get any better! At least the Coffee Mill will have some competition.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 12:52 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Plenty happening on the restaurant front in SJ right now.

Lots of activity on Prince William Street in particular!

Kebab House, an Iranian restaurant, is opening in the former Mezzadro location in late October.

Renovations for Gahan House Port City are continuing in the space vacated by Jungle Jims. They've been hiring over the past month but I'm not sure how close they are to opening.

And an unidentified pizza place has leased the former Liquid Gold olive oil store.

A couple things happening in Millidgeville as well. House of Chan is opening a location at the Millidgeville Irving, and the former Pharmasave/Jean Coutu space is apparently being renovated for, yes indeed, a dim sum place!

Not sure how far along renovations are for Jungle Jims' new location on the West Side.

And finally, the renovated Reversing Falls Restaurant is now open.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 12:09 PM

Really excited about the Millidgeville developments. I've long wondered why it's such a restaurant desert up there. Seems like it'd be far enough from uptown to support a restaurant or two.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Not sure how far along renovations are for Jungle Jims' new location on the West Side.
It should be open on this coming Monday or Tuesday.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 3:58 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
A couple things happening in Millidgeville as well. House of Chan is opening a location at the Millidgeville Irving, and the former Pharmasave/Jean Coutu space is apparently being renovated for, yes indeed, a dim sum place!
Extremely interested to see how the dim sum place turns out. I'll be swinging by for sure.

In high school people used to make jokes about Millidgeville, calling it Chinatown. Honestly don't see anything wrong with it. If central Millidgeville wants to be home to a number of small businesses and entrepreneurs then why not? It would be an interesting development and one that would be sorely needed in NB.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Extremely interested to see how the dim sum place turns out. I'll be swinging by for sure.

In high school people used to make jokes about Millidgeville, calling it Chinatown. Honestly don't see anything wrong with it. If central Millidgeville wants to be home to a number of small businesses and entrepreneurs then why not? It would be an interesting development and one that would be sorely needed in NB.
I think that would be fantastic, and would fit within PlanSJ's corridor intensification plan to increase density and development between the University/Hospital and the North End.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 10:49 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Chop Chop is next week! Lots of special dishes being crafted throughout the Uptown - you can check out the menus of participating restaurants here.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:25 PM

I guess Thai Express is doing fairly well Uptown. They will be opening a second location on the corner of Westmorland and Mcallister as well on the East Side.
Admittedly I have not been to the uptown location yet to try it, but am looking forward to stopping into to East Side location when it opens!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:40 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

There are plans in the works for a vegetarian restaurant in SJ, but from the sounds of the article it's still fairly early going at this point. Nonetheless, the couple behind the idea is creating some buzz on social media.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:04 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Moncton-based Freddie's Pizza & Donair has opened a location Uptown on Charlotte Street (next door to Heroes' Beacon).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Moncton-based Freddie's Pizza & Donair has opened a location Uptown on Charlotte Street (next door to Heroes' Beacon).
Glad to see Freddie's Pizza & Donair expanding (Franchised) But still expanding none the same, and I've seen Saint Johners in Moncton going there as often as I see em go to Vitos. quite often that is.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:40 PM

Locating a pizza & donair place next door to a comic shop seems like a pretty smart choice to me!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 6:36 PM

Gahan should be brewing next month once renovations to the Water St. floor are finished I hear

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces