HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
I doubt the historic building would go anywhere, just the club itself.
Yeah, the Masquerade (at least the building itself) isn't going anywhere. The RFP addendum specifically states this, and the RFP says "Any Proposal that states or suggests that it will include adjacent property must verify the Proposer’s ownership of said property, or the commitment of adjacent property owners with a signed option to purchase from that property owner or other reasonably acceptable evidence or ownership or control thereof upon submission of the RFP response." So it's possible the current owners of the Masquerade could make a proposal that includes the existing historic building, but a developer could only do this if they have a signed agreement with the Masquerade.

The subarea 5 master plan recommends a 5-9 story mixed use building at this site.

Last edited by shivtim; Apr 5, 2014 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 4:28 PM

The Atlanta Beltline: Transforming Atlanta's Urban Culture

http://www.gpb.org/news/2014/04/18/t...-urban-culture

Quote:
A 1968 TV ad described the growing city of Atlanta as network of different neighborhoods, connected mostly by highways. The best option for navigating the city was by car.

Fast forward to 2014, and Atlanta is still primarily a “car city”. But urban planners, city officials, and business leaders hope one solution to that problem is the Atlanta Beltline.

The Atlanta Beltline started out as a graduate student’s dream back in 1999. Since then, it’s become one of the most ambitious urban redevelopment projects in the United States.

“This is really a cultural change happening in the city around a response from many people who’ve lived here a long time, and many moving here, to be able to live their lives with greater mobility and with greater options for how to get around,” said Morris. “Most importantly being able to create public places where people can gather, people can casually connect is a fascinating phenomenon that we’re starting to see occur around the Beltline.”

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:12 PM

Beltline, Ponce City Market Join Forces on "North Avenue Plaza"

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...t-projects.php

Quote:
Not since peanut butter and jelly were first combined has a pairing been as practical as the partnership between the Atlanta Beltline and Ponce City Market. The two Atlanta mega-projects are joining forces to build North Avenue Plaza, a public area between the trail and PCM that will allow Beltline users to relax among native trees and plants, benches and bike racks. Jamestown (PCM's developer) and the Beltline received a federal Transportation, Community and System Preservation grant that will partially fund the new project, which should be ready for Atlantans' lounging and pollen-inhaling enjoyment by next spring.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:58 PM

Progress on the Beltline's Eastside Trail Gateway

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 10:26 PM

The Beltline gets better all the time. It'll be interesting to see if the next sections of the trail have as much impact as the NE segment has had.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 7:12 PM

Beltline trail only 7 feet wide?

Advocacy alert from the ABC:

Keep the BeltLine from being cut in half!

Tonight's BeltLine Quarterly Briefing will contain a wealth great of information, including one particular update that concerns us - the design for the Wylie St section of the BeltLine. This section will connect the BeltLine at Dekalb Ave under the Krog St Tunnel through Reynoldstown to the BeltLine Trail.

Currently this section (highlighted in pink in the map below) is being designed to be 7 ft wide. Design standards calls for a 10 ft minimum. For context, the BeltLine East Side trail is 14 ft wide.

This made us ask why the variance in width? The best answer we received was because there is on street parking on Wylie St opposite of where the trail will be. The good news is 99% of the residents who currently have on street parking also have a driveway or an off-street parking space allotted to them! We believe that maintaining a few on street parking spaces should not take priority over the safety of the ever growing number of BeltLine trail users. Designing and installing a trail that is at least 10 ft wide is a public safety must.

Join us in voicing this concern by attending tonight's meeting and leaving your comment behind.

If you cannot attend tonight's meeting then please voice your concerns to the following:

Beth McMillan, Director of Community Engagement at bmcmillan@atlbeltline.org
Lynnette Reid, Senior Community Planner at lreid@atlbeltline.org
Commissioner Mendoza, City of Atlanta Public Works at rmendoza@AtlantaGa.Gov

Best,
Your friends, neighbors, bicycle lovers at ABC

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The bridge they are working on to cross the chasm from the shed to the main building is massive!

And it looks like the trail down to O4W park is just about finished as well as the trail from the new Edgewood bridge down the Beltline

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:46 PM

Bellwood Quarry Will Eventually Be Atlanta’s Biggest Park

http://wabe.org/post/bellwood-quarry...23mobile/69965

Quote:
About a mile from Midtown, there’s a 400 foot hole in the ground. Bellwood Quarry was mined for a century. Now the city’s transforming it into a reservoir, and the hundreds of acres around it will eventually be Atlanta’s biggest park.

It looks like some place in the Rocky Mountains. Bellwood Quarry has steep granite walls and crystal clear water. A road snakes down the side to the bottom.

“This park is so big by comparison to any of our other components, that it will be built in phases over the next 15 years,” BeltLine CEO Paul Morris said.

The park will be bigger than Piedmont and will cost nearly $38 million to develop.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:25 PM

Bellwood Quarry will make a great park. It can be seen on the Beltline bus tour. Unfortunately, this is on a very slow development cycle. It may open by by 2025, if we are lucky. This is unfortunate because it could be turned out quickly.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:47 PM

Ponce City Market's Beltline access is very reminiscent of NY's High line

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Ponce City Market's Beltline access is very reminiscent of NY's High line

I can't wait for it open! I still can't believe you can't get directly from the High Line to Chelsea Market -- you have to go down to street-level to get in. Neat place, though

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 12:58 AM

Atlanta BeltLine plans bike lanes, sidewalks, plaza near Ponce City Market

http://saportareport.com/atlanta-bel...e-city-market/
Quote:
Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. proposes to upgrade the area near Ponce City Market with a new park, the addition or improvement of amenities for bicyclists and pedestrians along Ponce de Leon Avenue, and five new traffic signals along North Avenue.
  • Ponce de Leon Avenue, Complete Streets – $1,287,183

• North Avenue Plaza – $875,400

• North Avenue traffic signal upgrades – $230,000

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:13 PM

The ABI posted a picture of the Historic Fourth Ward park site in 2008. My how things have changed!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 9:16 PM

For anyone interested in checking out the full blueprints for the BeltLine extension, they’re now available here: http://beltline.org/about/work-with-...tation-to-bid/

For anyone too lazy to sift through all the blueprints, here are some things that I find interesting:

These plans call for lighting--and not just along the extension from Irwin to Memorial--but from Piedmont Park to Memorial. I would have expected the BeltLine to bid that separately, but apparently they’re planning to just go ahead and do it all whenever they get started with the extension. Big thumbs up.

Speaking of lighting, the plans call for a LOT of it in the Krog Tunnel. There will also be new railings in the tunnel, and fancy pavers on the east side walkway. I don’t think the tunnel will look all that different, which is a good thing in my opinion, but it will definitely be more welcoming and easier to get through--at least before the crowds show up. (I do wonder if all the new lighting will just emphasize how dirty it really is.)

The plans appear to significantly cut into the property with the old warehouse/gallery/studio/whatever at the northwest corner of Krog and Dekalb. Same goes for the large pile of dirt perpetually covered in kudzu on the lot next door (to the west). It looks like the trail will be located at least 10 feet away from Dekalb Avenue. The area where the sidewalk is now will be a bioretention swale and a line of trees will separate the trail from vehicular traffic. The chain-link fence and a big portion of the “yard” between that building and Dekalb Avenue would disappear and be turned into a sort of staging area for pedestrians.

Plans call for “clear and grub” of all trees and vegetation along the north side of Wylie. That’s architect speak for “complete elimination of everything.” This includes the mature maples (which provide great color in the fall) and all of the large holly bushes along the Hulsey wall. I’m not being alarmist here—I fully support the design—I’m just pointing this out for anyone that might have been curious about how the trail would integrate existing trees and vegetation.

The trail along Wylie will be separated from the road by trees. Crape Myrtles—meh—to be exact. I’d have preferred maple or gingko for fall foliage, or something that grows fast and could provide shade, but then again they didn’t hire me to be the landscape architect. Opinions are like assholes, I suppose.

As others have pointed out, the trail along Dekalb and along Wylie will be 10’ wide, as opposed to the 18’ wide trails build on old rail corridor. If you’re wondering how it will be possible to have bikes and groups of people walking on the trail, my answer is that it won’t. I’m assuming that the only people that will be biking on the trail along Wylie are the morons who already bike on the sidewalk, and normal people will just use the road like they always have—at least for this stretch of trail. I also don’t expect the trail to be anywhere near as crowded as it is north of Irwin.

The wooded area at the corner of Kenyon and Kirkwood that separates Kenyon from the Beltline has apparently been acquired by the BeltLine and will be a glade with a small meandering path.

The bridge over Mauldin/Fulton Terrace will be refurbished (much like the bridge over Ponce). Unlike Ponce, there will be steps and a ramp to provide access to the trail from the road below.

I seem to recall some sort of design for Wylie that involved planted medians at Krog and near Flat Shoals (in fact, it’s still on the BeltLine’s web page), but those are nowhere to be found in the blueprints. I’m not sure if that’s because it’s in public right of way and the City would be responsible, or if the idea has been scrapped altogether.

Not in the plans but worth remembering that the metal wall along Wylie belongs to CSX and it does not appear that anything will be done to change its appearance. Personally, I’m in favor of status quo on that front but if you were holding out hopes of something fancier, you can stop wondering.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 6:45 PM

The Westide Trial is making progress

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 8:14 PM

Rail is being pulled up at the portion of the Beltline at Wylie St. next to Stein Steel in Reynoldstown. Could be evidence of progress.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 6:09 PM

There's a surveyor on the Eastside Trail extension directly behind Alexan, just north of Edgewood Ave.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 10:57 AM

Southside Trail Design Study

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:32 PM

Eastside Trail extension progress

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:16 AM

Surprised it isn't wider tbh....probably should have made it wider by like a few feet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta