HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:50 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

On the planned 41-story tower at Wilshire and Bonnie Brae, that's perfect. That area is primed for development as it's right by a Purple/Red Line stop. There's a surface parking lot kitty corner from that (next to the old Korean Air building) that's been screaming for development for some time now. Hopefully this is a catalyst.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 6:28 PM
life is good

41 stories! It's lit!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 7:21 PM

And let the snail paced unification of Downtown and Korea town continue (not so much in the literal sense). I've always envisioned Macarthur Park surrounded by a mix of 7story/mid-high rises on all sides. Please yes Even Hollywood would be thrilled with that kind of a back drop for their movies.

Last edited by caligrad; Aug 24, 2016 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 8:05 PM
BANNED

I'd like to see one "super downtown" run like a ribbon all along Wilshire.

And if we're smart we'll zone the area around the expo line to allow the same kind of growth.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
More of this, please, especially around transit stops.
On a trip to L.A. last week, my favorite venture riding the rails, I was keeping an eye on the rail stops for development. I made a stop in Compton and I see they did put some housing in at that stop. The Pasadena stop had a couple of big housing complexes. I even rode the train to Asuza, and I see it looks like there may be some housing developments being started at the Moravia stop, but none in Asuza? And none at the Watts or Rosa Parks stops?

I stayed at the Royal Pagoda Inn in Chinatown, and the Blossom Plaza is absolutely awesome, where you can walk thru it to catch the train! Let's see if they get around to filling up all the ground floor commercial space!

I also took the Gold Line east to Atlantic, and got off at the Mariachi Plaza station to look around, and not much for housing, but I see they've got a 4 story apartment building there under construction. Good to see! Now let's see more of that on those Gold line east stops! Or is that, too, Nimby territory?

Last edited by IMBY; Aug 25, 2016 at 9:53 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Really? I see nothing productive about this post. We come here to discuss development, not to read about how ignorant regressive and inferior we allegedly are. You're certainly not going to win over any minds with that kind of nasty, dang.
I don't understand why more people don't enjoy seeing people smear mud on their faces!

I let the choice, last week, fall to my roommate, since the fares on SW were the same $39 one way to San Francisco or L.A.

What it boiled down to was do you want pretty and too white, or far more interesting with lots of color?

Far more interesting with lots of color won out! And, I was dying to see the Broad Museum!

Always nice to get out of this stuck-like-glue-to-the-1960's conservative Las Vegas!

Last edited by IMBY; Aug 25, 2016 at 9:51 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:28 PM

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
On a trip to L.A. last week, my favorite venture riding the rails, I was keeping an eye on the rail stops for development. I made a stop in Compton and I see they did put some housing in at that stop. The Pasadena stop had a couple of big housing complexes. I even rode the train to Asuza, and I see it looks like there may be some housing developments being started at the Moravia stop, but none in Asuza? And none at the Watts or Rosa Parks stops?

I stayed at the Royal Pagoda Inn in Chinatown, and the Blossom Plaza is absolutely awesome, where you can walk thru it to catch the train! Let's see if they get around to filling up all the ground floor commercial space!

I also took the Gold Line east to Atlantic, and got off at the Mariachi Plaza station to look around, and not much for housing, but I see they've got a 4 story apartment building there under construction. Good to see! Now let's see more of that on those Gold line east stops! Or is that, too, Nimby territory?
Azusa has the big Rosedale development with single family homes and townhomes and will have a dirt lot ready at their other stop for a mixed use complex. Perhaps you were talking about Arcadia which made the dumb move of allowing the construction of a Mercedes Benz dealership on a large parcel near their new Gold Line station.

As for Watts and Rosa Parks, there's a master plan to rezone the commercial land use in the area for mixed use and encourage affordable townhomes. I'll find the link for that if you want.

Then the complex at Mariachi Plaza wasn't opposed because it is affordable housing. I wish it had been bigger though. There is a lot of opportunity along those Eastern Gold Line stops as well as those planned for the Montebello and Whittier extensions.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
Azusa has the big Rosedale development with single family homes and townhomes and will have a dirt lot ready at their other stop for a mixed use complex. Perhaps you were talking about Arcadia which made the dumb move of allowing the construction of a Mercedes Benz dealership on a large parcel near their new Gold Line station.

As for Watts and Rosa Parks, there's a master plan to rezone the commercial land use in the area for mixed use and encourage affordable townhomes. I'll find the link for that if you want.

Then the complex at Mariachi Plaza wasn't opposed because it is affordable housing. I wish it had been bigger though. There is a lot of opportunity along those Eastern Gold Line stops as well as those planned for the Montebello and Whittier extensions.
There's a lot planned surrounding mariachi plaza and it's all been opposed vigorously.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 7:43 PM

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
There's a lot planned surrounding mariachi plaza and it's all been opposed vigorously.
Are you talking about the whole medical expansion. That was canceled.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 7:51 PM

Nope, the affordable housing for Metro owned properties. One, I think is moving forward, more are pending. All have met with pushback. Boyle Heights anti-gentrification/displacement groups have said repeatedly that the income threshold for affordable housing units is too high and rents will be more than current residents can afford. Similar groups as are opposing the Reef project.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Nope, the affordable housing for Metro owned properties. One, I think is moving forward, more are pending. All have met with pushback. Boyle Heights anti-gentrification/displacement groups have said repeatedly that the income threshold for affordable housing units is too high and rents will be more than current residents can afford. Similar groups as are opposing the Reef project.
That's ridiculous. I don't know about the income brackets but I've heard a good estimate for rents in these projects would be about $400 for a 1 bed, $800 for a 2 bed, and $1200 for a 3 bed. There's nowhere in Boyle Heights or the entire region where rents are that low.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
That's ridiculous. I don't know about the income brackets but I've heard a good estimate for rents in these projects would be about $400 for a 1 bed, $800 for a 2 bed, and $1200 for a 3 bed. There's nowhere in Boyle Heights or the entire region where rents are that low.
The issues in Boyle Heights stem from a well-earned mistrust of outside interests. Its residents have repeatedly gotten the short end of the stick with our city's "progress," over the past 50 years. This is most clearly exemplified by the multiple freeways which carve through the neighborhood.

Many of its residents are wary of public agencies like Metro, and even homegrown nonprofit developers like ELACC. I can't even blame them for how they reacted at Mariachi Plaza; Metro did zero community outreach before entering into negotiations with a developer.

You can promise that the units will be priced as affordable housing, but they'll believe it when they see it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 11:02 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 12:02 AM

Great exclusives, Blackcat! You're really killing it lately. Culver City has been incredible with turning that whole area near the train station around. Does anyone remember how disgusting and empty it used to be?

In other news, I attended the West L.A. neighborhood council mtg regarding Martin Expo Town Center. It was basically the young people vs. the old people (can you guess which supported the project?).

I didn't stay to see how the council voted but I wouldn't be surprised to see them deny it, though they really have little power. Fortunately, most of the NIMBY complaints pertained to the office buildings and the traffic they would encourage. All were supportive of more housing near Expo. At least people understand here that the Westside needs more housing since so many jobs are here. I would say West L.A./Brentwood residents are actually less xenophobic/backwards than Santa Monicans.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 12:04 AM

^Agreed re:Mariachi Plaza.

And hot damn, Vermont is on fire!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Read the entire article, but some hope there as the 2 housing proposals may still be a go! As far as a big box store in that neighborhood, oh please!

Now if that isn't encouraging, to perhaps see some development at the Watts and Rosa Parks stations. Since my last trip to L.A., transferring to the Aviation Stop on the Green Line, I see there's a 6-7 story housing project that has sprung up there.

Perhaps I did get my stops confused on the Gold Line towards Asuza, but there was one stop with excavation work being done beside and back of a parking ramp., and was assuming it was for housing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 8:41 AM

There is a project at Monrovia Station called Parks at Monrovia.

http://www.cityofmonrovia.org/sites/..._square_sp.pdf

Google maps has streetview of construction work. latest July 2016.

Also Mariachi Plaza has that construction at the Southwest closer to freeway corner well underway. You can see the google maps from a couple months back.

Oh I need to get some construction pictures up. Took them around the CicLAvia and day before.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 8:14 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations