HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

New York Stock Exchange Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 6:34 PM

Salt Lake: Building the Triad Center

One of the biggest disappointments in Salt Lake history was when One Triad Center was cancelled. Materials were delivered and there was a ground breaking, but construction was never started. I have always been intrigued by a drawing posted in the newspaper showing the cancelled tower and three blocks of office, residential, and hotel buildings. One showed a future Hyatt hotel. It was very gothic with a bizarre mixture of styles. I always thought it had some religious cues, sort of poking fun at the Vatican-like religious center role of the city. What the front would have looked like was unknown. Some architect must have had a vision of a truly unusual structure. The drawing showed a level of detail that indicated that some serious design work had been done. I decided if the Triad Center was never built, I could at least build a computer model of it. One Triad Center was well documented with numerous views from many angles. A model of it was straight-forward. It was said to be 35 stories and 500 feet tall. After working off and on for years, the hotel is taking shape. Since the west side is unknown, I was able to let my imagination run wild and supplied the missing features myself. I pictured a front that matched the drama of the other parts of the structure. I thought it looked like the building tapered toward the top, so the walls are slightly slanted. There are still some details I haven't worked out, so this is a work in progress. I borrowed a model of the current Triad Center from 3D Warehouse. The modelling work was done in Blender.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 7:37 PM
Space Magi

This is great! Thanks for sharing. I love how the Triad Center would have been built around the historic Devereaux House, which is tiny by comparison.

The taller tower would have been a great tallest for SLC. I wonder how it would have impacted and shaped the classic southbound I-15 view of the skyline.

Nice work on the Hyatt too. Kind of a weird design with those little spheres.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects