HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

New York Stock Exchange Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 12:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It would work now with the balance of supertalls (soon to come) and WTC1 and WTC4. Make it straighter...maybe some cross bracing, and it could be a 1792ft to the roof. Wishful thinking.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
It would work now with the balance of supertalls (soon to come) and WTC1 and WTC4. Make it straighter...maybe some cross bracing, and it could be a 1792ft to the roof. Wishful thinking.
I was thinking the exact same! Looking back on the plethora of construction taking place in New York today, its so disappointing this one never made it past the drawing board. I kind of wish someone would pick the design back up again and build it in that same location. Is the NYSE sure it couldn't use a nice new supertall HQ building for the 21st Century...

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1250/pan0.png

Last edited by Onn; Oct 20, 2013 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 3:20 AM

if that didn't involve clearing away a huge chunk of wall street i'd be all for it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
if that didn't involve clearing away a huge chunk of wall street i'd be all for it.
Maybe, but if Lower Manhattan wants to compete with Midtown for office space they're going to have to build big. And there's no reason such a tower couldn't be taller than 1WTC.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 1:13 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Maybe, but if Lower Manhattan wants to compete with Midtown for office space they're going to have to build big. And there's no reason such a tower couldn't be taller than 1WTC.
Lower Manhattan still struggles to rebuild the WTC. But as soon as the new WTC is filled up (and everything around it finished- memorial, hub, path etc.) and people realize that Downtown is once again the place to be, we could see some bold proposals in the near future. I'm also very optimistic because we see a lot of residential / hotel towers going up.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Lower Manhattan still struggles to rebuild the WTC. But as soon as the new WTC is filled up (and everything around it finished- memorial, hub, path etc.) and people realize that Downtown is once again the place to be, we could see some bold proposals in the near future. I'm also very optimistic because we see a lot of residential / hotel towers going up.
Here's hoping that the WTC fills up quickly from here on out. I feel like Lower Manhattan is still reeling from some of the effects of 9/11, which it needs to get past to rebuild again. If Manhattan is to compete with the Hudson Yards and Midtown East Rezoning, they need something like this.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 5:28 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
We've been over this already earlier in the thread; the tower would have been built on landfill in the East River east of FDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

An option under consideration is tearing down an old office building at 2 Broadway, near Battery Park, and constructing a new headquarters there, according to the real estate executives. Another possibility would be putting up a vast building at the eastern end of Wall Street, over the East River. The developer Donald J. Trump has proposed that site to the exchange, the real estate executives said.

The city, and not Mr. Trump, controls the waterfront there, just south of the South Street Seaport and two piers with indoor tennis courts.

No demolition required.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
We've been over this already earlier in the thread; the tower would have been built on landfill in the East River east of FDR.

No demolition required.
That's what I thought, no demolition required. If a tower taller than 1 WTC were to be built in Lower Manhattan this would be a good place to put it. We should get Trump on the phone asap.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post

No demolition required.
I was refering the post which was above mine.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 12:06 AM

I'm surprised no one pointed this out. Had this bin built the roof height of 1,792 feet is the same as the freedom tower total height. (1,776 to the spire but 1,792 feet to the lightning rod). Maybe something similar (probably a little shorter) like this will rise in Jersey City sum day!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 12:20 AM
BANNED

is it safe to build taller towers on landfill? :o

Hudson Yards Phase 2 is also all landfill iirc.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 10:32 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
is it safe to build taller towers on landfill? :o

Hudson Yards Phase 2 is also all landfill iirc.
Yes it is safe. Because it is not really built on landfill, it is built on the bedrock below while the streets etc around it are built on landfill.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Yes it is safe. Because it is not really built on landfill, it is built on the bedrock below while the streets etc around it are built on landfill.
ty for the answer

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:38 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:16 PM

Woah. That's something else. What really stands out to me are those buildings next to the Twin Towers. Was there a pre-9/11 proposal going, or is that an alternate design for the rebuild?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Woah. That's something else. What really stands out to me are those buildings next to the Twin Towers. Was there a pre-9/11 proposal going, or is that an alternate design for the rebuild?
those are the infamous "hashtag" towers which were a proposal for the post 9/11 redevelopment. Apparently they were from Richard Meier. To be fair, a lot of weird proposals for the site came from famous architects.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 8:04 PM
Ex Houstonian

Ewww thank god that didn't happen.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:19 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Looks like two hashtags.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 6:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
those are the infamous "hashtag" towers which were a proposal for the post 9/11 redevelopment. Apparently they were from Richard Meier. To be fair, a lot of weird proposals for the site came from famous architects.

pattayaone
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:05 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Still wish this one gets built at some time in the future. Manhattan looks best with a series of smaller but thinner super-tall towers if you ask me...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects