HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 12:05 PM

Miramichi:

It was announced last week that the contract has been awarded for the construction of the new Federal Public Service Pay Center in Miramichi on the East side to begin in June. It will cost an estimated $85 million and is slated to take 2.5 years to build. All 550 employees were hired in 3 different waves over the past few years and are working out of different locations in Miramichi. This has been a major initiative in terms of job creation in the Miramichi over the past few years and I'm sure it will be quite exciting for the region for the construction to get underway.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 12:44 PM

Miramichi : render of the pay center http://photos.newswire.ca/images/dow...O_EN_13893.jpg

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 12:55 PM

Edmundston :

The plan to have a permanent farmers market are still going ahead, currently, the market is only open during the summer since it takes place outside, on Hill street during the sunny days and in the municipal parking structure during rainy days. Render of the market with the article :

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...-a-edmundston/

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Miramichi : render of the pay center http://photos.newswire.ca/images/dow...O_EN_13893.jpg
Thanks for the link.

Miramichi Pay Centre:

Kinda looks like a high school.

Still, this is wonderful news for the Miramichi and should stabilize the economy there for decades to come.

The sad thing is that this might end up being the largest construction project in NB this year.......

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:15 PM

This building is actually a good looking one. I'm not sure if it looks like a high school, it does however look better than the new Moncton High. I must agree, there is not much construction going on or coming up in NB and this might be the largest one this year. Nice addition to the Miramichi area!

Last edited by OUIR@random; Apr 6, 2015 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:53 PM

Last I heard, this was going to be built on the old mill site, is it still the case??

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Last I heard, this was going to be built on the old mill site, is it still the case??
No, this is going to be build on part of the exhibition property on the Chatham side close to the downtown.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 8:57 PM

Never heard anythign else from Dalhousie. Not even a rumor. I dont think people put much faith in these supposed up coming annoucements from there. Its been a few times big things were suppose to come to the Dalhousie area and nothing ever did. I really do hope they get something though.

Quote:
Did your hear anything else on this, it was announced it would be postponed but nothing since.

And a little bit more on the north

Belledune:
-Tank farm still going, a few snags along the way have delayed the projects but shovels should be in the ground in spring.

Bathurst:
-New dealership on st anne avenue, most likely toyota relocating.
-Joey's restaurant found a new home and is planing to re-open in the spring.
-Al's subs and donair from campbellton is opening a restaurant in Bathurst on main st where resto grec used to be, should open any time soon.
-Place Bathurst mall said that all tho some stores have closed, several projects are on the way to replace them, announcements pending.

Edmundston:
-The new Ford dealership is under construction in the grey rock power center.
-The grey rock entertainment centre will open march 1st, picture here http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/nouve...lusives_-17838
-Also the old building that used to house offices for the city has been sold and will be redevelopped into a 12 appartments building. http://www.infoweekend.ca/actualites...ce-a-logements

All i can think of for now!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 12:47 AM

Bo-Style meubles et déco
Home Decor · Furniture Store · Carpet & Flooring Store is opening soon at 1049 rue Principale,Beresford NB.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:42 PM

And some activity has been going on in the last week on St. Peters avenue, in addition to renovations to the future Joey's location, renovations are on the way at the old west side motel and also some activity at the old garage, corner of St. Peters and Youghall. Nice to see activity in that area!

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 2:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Miramichi gets new 240-bed nursing home
Facility to replace Mount St. Joseph Nursing Home and Miramichi Senior Citizens Home
CBC News Posted: May 15, 2015 3:01 PM AT
Last Updated: May 15, 2015 6:51 PM AT

A new nursing home will be built in Miramichi to replace two aging facilities, resulting in a net gain of 26 new nursing home beds.

It will replace the Mount St. Joseph Nursing Home and the Miramichi Senior Citizens Home. Those facilities have 214 beds between them.

"This infrastructure project will achieve our goals of creating jobs, growing our economy and supporting families," said Gallant in a statement.

hi-brian-gallant-miramichi-nursing home
Premier Brian Gallant announced a new 240-bed nursing home for Miramichi to replace two other facilities. (CBC)

"This new home will ensure the seniors in the Miramichi region receive the high quality care they need with the dignity and respect they deserve," said Miramichi MLA and cabinet minister Bill Fraser.

The new facility will be built through a public-private partnership where a private sector entity designs, builds, finances, owns and operates the facility, in accordance with the provincial government's nursing home standards.

No information about how much the project will cost the government was released.

It's unclear when the new home will open, but Fraser expects it will take two or three years to build, once the tendering process is complete.

In the meantime, the existing homes will continue to operate.

read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...home-1.3076077

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:28 PM

Construction has started for the new Toyota dealership in Bathurst.

http://ckle.fm/actualite/item/7713-b...ur-rue-en-2016

Also the old co-op behind the sobeys made way for more appartments

And in beresford, a new appartment strip under construction on rue principale and the Baque appartment are still going ahead to eventually reach 52 units.

Surprising to see all those appartment going up when the un-occupancy rate is so high for the region

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:29 AM

Tracadie will be geting a new Kent store in their commercial park , construction is underway

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...onfirme-video/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:12 PM

If you head up north on the 11, there is a rare sight in the Miramichi! Tower crane on the site of the new payroll center building.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 2:45 AM

New restaurants for Bathurst! The return of Joey's pub and eatery in a new location, the opening of a new restaurant, Cast & Crew at the old joey's location by the cinema and also a new Yuzu sushi to open next to Wine Kitz, on St-Peters avenue!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 2:10 AM

Announcment to be made tomorrow in Edmundston at the sports complex by the NB government, they sent a letter calling the media, Gallant and several other importamt player will be present, most likely the 7 millions from the province for the community amphitheatre, with the fed having committed 7 millions already and the city providing the rest (to note that the donnations from the community are at over 2.2 millions) for a total of 21 millions.

Moncton, I hope your turn is next!!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 5:10 PM

^^^done, opening to be in september 2017!!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 9:54 PM

Great news for my home town. Much needed new arena. They are now looking to get a Junior A and/or Midget AAA teams for the new arena. Could still maybe host a QMJHL team since the smallest arena in the league located in Rouyn would still be smaller than the one in Edmundston, but at 2,400 seats I think it's great for the community to show that the region can support a semi-major team, and if ever a team would ever become available, they could maybe move to Edmundston who are geographically advantaged. Fredericton would be a better market, but considering they would have to play at the Aitken Center, which is located on the UNB campus, they would be sponsorship rivals with the university. (The university says it's not the case, but look at how much the UNB Varsity Reds Hockey Team boomed since the Fredericton Canadiens left the city).

Also news that indeed The Brick, Burger King and St-Hubert Express are going to be located at the Grey Rock Power Center.

Koodos to the people in the Edmundston Region. The Mayor, First Nation and both their economic teams have been doing a great job the last 3-4 years to bring the city back.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Edmundston :

The plan to have a permanent farmers market are still going ahead, currently, the market is only open during the summer since it takes place outside, on Hill street during the sunny days and in the municipal parking structure during rainy days. Render of the market with the article :

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...-a-edmundston/
From what I've heard this is a hard sell currently. The land where it was supposed to be located would have to be decontaminated since part of it is located on burned building land (old flea market). Maybe it could be the next community project since a lot of their infrastructure projects are now finished or starting. The only concern about that project for me is the downtown parking. Does Edmundston need a permanent farmers market? Absolutely! Is it a priority? I don't think so.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 10:17 PM

Yes, they have been doing an amazing job, all tho i hope the mentality soon changes, there is still too much negativity about the city when you talk to people, sure its not booming but its doing much better than a few years ago. I think the tide is slowly changing and the more it will change, the better it will get. I was there last week and im surprised everytime at new stuff poping up here and there.

About the parking situation, i know downtown does not have massive parking lots, but there is plenty going around, only issue people have is that they want the parking in front of the door, if you dont mind doing a bit of walking, and by a bit i mean 2 minutes or less, you will have no problem to find a parking spot. When i go, i just park and walk wherever i need to go.

As for the st-hubert, something did not work about placing it in the grey rock, franchise is listed as available for Edmundston at the moment, it had disappeared from the site a while back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces