HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
As someone you makes my living thanks to development, I applaud the work of the nimby. Yes I said that. Without them this town would be littered with junk, they assure that stuff that makes it through the system is of some value and they've made Vancouver what it is. Sure they can be frustrating to deal with at times, but their intentions are positive.
NIMBYs intentions are positive? Are you sure you don't want to qualify that?

Toronto:

Quote:
Community consultation was carried out through the normal practices of the City of Toronto and the TTC in accordance with requirements of the day embedded in the Class Environmental Assessment process. Though well intended, these procedures led to a Ministerial order to step back and pay special attention to the objections of a group of individuals, the majority of whom were diametrically opposed to the very basic concept of an exclusive transit right-of-way on St. Clair Avenue.

The Ontario Minister of the Environment was simply far too accommodating of matters raised by those opposed to the project, matters that, with some degree of resolve, should have been addressed directly. As a result, inordinate attention and resources were devoted to dealing with individuals whose main interest was to ensure that the project would not proceed.
New York and the Ground Zero Site: (Not related directly to NIMBYism, but a nice synopsis of problems)

Quote:
When did all of these infighting factions become benign "stakeholders," with equal rights, right or wrong? And when did those stakeholders cease to be recognized as special interests, each with its own self-directed agenda? The objective professionalism needed to balance all those agendas in the interest of a more overriding concept in the greater public interest has succumbed to the myth of an "inclusionary" process that goes beyond appropriate consideration of all relevant factors to the ridiculous denial of priorities. In one of those extreme pendulum swings that turns reason into nonsense, a reversal of the old, discredited urban renewal policies that ignored community input has become an abdication of all responsibility for a kind of goofy planning populism. This is affecting everything from the way we build to the buildings we preserve.
North Vancouver:

Quote:
Norgate residents are still calling for Mayor Richard Walton's head after he voted this past week along with Council to rezone North Vancouver's B.C. Rail site to allow a bus depot.

Ironically, NIMBYs stopped the bus depot going in, only to have a sewage plant move in...

FWIW, I'm with Gregor. Those bike lanes are awesome!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:19 AM

If I had the mic I'd be dropping more than a few F-bombs at those idiot NIMBYs.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yes!

And does anybody really believe that any West End resident, owner or renter, has a NIMBY problem with density? That's one of the reason's they live there for cryin' out loud.
It's the same mentality as climbing into an awesome treehouse and then cutting the rope.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
It's the same mentality as climbing into an awesome treehouse and then cutting the rope.
Perhaps, but I'm not buying it in this case. Plenty of people are opposed to STIR on other grounds. And given the amount of signatures WEN was able to gather I don't buy this as just a few cranks worried about losing their views. Do you really not see their concern about Vision handpicking the members of this "advisory" board as valid?

Robertson is acting just as he did when he steamrolled the HEAT shelters through without consultation. If he doesn't like dealing with the concerns of the "little people" he can follow the temperamentally similar Larry Campbell into a cushy patronage job somewhere.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:16 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Umm no it's more like you build an awesome treehouse that meets all zoning and you are happy with your treehouse, your neighbour then decides to build a super treehouse that isn't legal so he offers council free membership into the treehouse if they let him build it.

WEN isn't against development, they are against STIR and the city fore saking millions of dollars in DCLS and CACs that are needed for community amenities in the area. Instead they are getting the increased density w/o new amenities. They like a lot of Vancouverites do not believe that market rentals are a public amenity, especially when they are owned by private developers.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 6:03 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
This is actually a really big deal, the swearing is not the issue the context is. As someone you makes my living thanks to development, I applaud the work of the nimby. Yes I said that. Without them this town would be littered with junk, they assure that stuff that makes it through the system is of some value and they've made Vancouver what it is. Sure they can be frustrating to deal with at times, but their intentions are positive. They just like each and everyone of us have the right to express themselves. All three of them should be ashamed of themselves right now, and should reconsider their futures if they don't feel the value of listening to their constituents.
Well put.

I'm most disappointed by Heather Deal, though. I had expected more from her because she has always struck me as the more professional and respectful of the bunch. To hear her joining in on the laughter was very disheartening. She certainly won't be getting my vote next time around.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 6:08 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
NIMBYs intentions are positive? Are you sure you don't want to qualify that?
Perhaps their personal intentions are selfish, but it's the end result that matters: a broader perspective for all involved.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan
I'm most disappointed by Heather Deal, though
"democracy cubed", lol

Quote:
Umm no it's more like you build an awesome treehouse that meets all zoning and you are happy with your treehouse, your neighbour then decides to build a super treehouse that isn't legal so he offers council free membership into the treehouse if they let him build it.

WEN isn't against development, they are against STIR and the city fore saking millions of dollars in DCLS and CACs that are needed for community amenities in the area. Instead they are getting the increased density w/o new amenities. They like a lot of Vancouverites do not believe that market rentals are a public amenity, especially when they are owned by private developers.
I agree with everything you're saying, especially the problems with STIR, but am playing devil's advocate because I don't believe this little episode shows any more of an "insincere" attitude to community consultation than how politics has been for quite some time. They got caught saying what everyone in the room knows already, big deal.

Furthermore, where are the talented visionaries? When did politics become all about public hearings and design-by-committees, and committees consisting of individuals each looking out for themselves? True leadership died ages ago. The whole system is messed up.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
It's actually a political "term" that has been used since 1978, when Jerry Brown was nicknamed "Governor Moonbeam" (because he wanted California to form its own space academy). It's now used to describe a person (usually a politician) whose policies are consistently viewed as "out there", perhaps... really out there. It's just peoples way of showing some affection for dear leader comrade Robertson.

Who, is actually right in cursing at this group of NIMBY's.
thanks for the explanation.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post

Gregor is more of a centre-left politician with a business background (Happy Planet) who is more geared toward the urban cyclist/ pedestrian, environment, and granola eating crowd. Still haven't figured out if Gregor eats quiche though.
He probably does - secretly - and I'll bet he doesn't shave either, but uses cream hair remover instead.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 2:18 PM

Oh well, time to double the property taxes in that area instead. The residents fought against other forms of revenue increase, so...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:23 PM

I'm a little surprised as to people here being all for what the Mayor in Vancouver said. You're missing the whole stink about it. Agree or not with the people against in the West End but their point is that the Mayor is just fast tracking things as always in the sense that he has decided X and as such they will do X without any consultation with anyone. "It's just a little advisory committee" is how it all starts. That's how the Burrard Street bike lane started. A little committee that is just going to advise. Next thing you know they come up with all kinds of 'proofs' that it is the best idea since sliced bread and over 1 million bicycles used it last year which is impossible as has been proven already over and over, but then the Mayor takes that information and pushes forward to close more lanes and mess up traffic even more in Vancouver under completely false facts presented by such 'advisory committees.'

That's what they are against. No community consultation at all. NIMBY's can be an issue at times especially if they are against the proposal you are for, but that doesn't mean their voice should be heard any less or they should be belittled or called 'fucking hacks' because they disagree with your point of view.

Is he human? Sure. But I think people miss the point of this entire thing, that it proves Mayor Robertson is just for himself and his agenda and really doesn't give a rats tail about Vancouver citizens and what they think period. Be happy when you agree with what he's doing but if you have any situation where you disagree, your voice will not be heard which I think was proven on Thursday.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:56 PM

Also anyone else happy with the Mayor, see:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...67#post4907767

I hope you enjoy your bike lanes and chicken coops as taxes are hiked and businesses move out towards the suburbs leaving Vancouver in even more debt.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 7:24 PM

but he shows his nipples at pride! how can u hate a mayor who does that

lol

ah vancouver gotta love it

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 8:47 PM

Nimbys or not. The main is arrogant and showed disdain for the people who pay his salary. Is it okay to be a "hack" if you're Vision hack?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
but he shows his nipples at pride! how can u hate a mayor who does that

lol

ah vancouver gotta love it
omg! YES! I remember that. And the City of Vancouver float was quite impressive.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 1:29 AM

Dreamy

I think Gregor is just dreamy. I could look into his eyes (and at his chest at Pride) forever!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 5:47 AM

Cussing

Actually I think vancouverites would be a lot less passive aggressive if they would let a few slip out every now and then. I mean bfd!

As far as the other discussion is concerned if you are going to put together a committee at least make it cross sectional to get the views of all residents on the table.

Lastly I have been dumbfounded listening to the very same people who bitch about the 1980's rent they pay all the while botching about any and all new development. Guess they never heard of the concept of supply and demand. I mean how many new housing units have been built in the we since the 80's? I'll bet not more than a couple of thousand tops.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 8:36 AM

My opinion of course, but you know we voted in Gregor Robertson to carry out his vision and get things done, not listen to every stakeholder and lobby group and special interest group for their opinion, weigh all the options and then choose the most mediocre middle of the road lowest common demoninator solution. Which is what would happen if you tried to make everyone happy.

People that have a vision and carry it out are doing exactly what we expect them to do. We vote them in to do this. If we don't like it we vote him/her out the next time. That's democracy.

Our best politicians don't often do what might be popular to all, but they do get something done. We don't need a steward of the status quo. That's merely an administrator. Is that what you want?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
My opinion of course, but you know we voted in Gregor Robertson to carry out his vision and get things done, not listen to every stakeholder and lobby group and special interest group for their opinion, weigh all the options and then choose the most mediocre middle of the road lowest common demoninator solution. Which is what would happen if you tried to make everyone happy.

People that have a vision and carry it out are doing exactly what we expect them to do. We vote them in to do this. If we don't like it we vote him/her out the next time. That's democracy.

Our best politicians don't often do what might be popular to all, but they do get something done. We don't need a steward of the status quo. That's merely an administrator. Is that what you want?
Sorry, but you misunderstand the nature of civic politics. Those who don't have the patience for listening to folks shouldn't be in the game (are your ears burning, Larry Campbell?). If we had a ward system it would be even more so. Probably one of the reasons Philip Owen was so successful as mayor was he got this. As Suzanne Anton says in Jeff Lee's Sun column today:

"I can't imagine thinking those things, let alone being foolish enough to say them. If you are in politics that is your job and you have to like listening to people," she said.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/May...#ixzz0tfr5DTnR

Last edited by whatnext; Jul 14, 2010 at 4:16 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics